Windows 10: Is it legal to upgrade from WIndows 7/8.1OEM license to Windows 10 ?

Discus and support Is it legal to upgrade from WIndows 7/8.1OEM license to Windows 10 ? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I have upgraded my computer from Windows 8.1 having an OEM license to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. The windows activation status... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Vikas14, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Vikas14 Win User

Is it legal to upgrade from WIndows 7/8.1OEM license to Windows 10 ?

Hello,

I have upgraded my computer from Windows 8.1 having an OEM license to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool.
    The windows activation status is showing "Windows is activated" after the upgrade. This didn't prompt to enter Product Key

This means that I upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

So I want to know is it legal way to upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10 without entering product key?

Can I do this on multiple machines?

Thank You.

:)

Vikas14, Sep 25, 2020

2. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Sep 25, 2020
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Sep 25, 2020
  4. Is it legal to upgrade from WIndows 7/8.1OEM license to Windows 10 ?

Windows 7 Lover's Club: For Those Who Like Windows 7 As Opposed To Windows 8

Description:
    • For anyone who likes Windows 7 as opposed to Windows 8 and wants to keep Windows 7 and not upgrade to Windows 8.
    • Also for anyone who does not hate Windows 8 but refuses to upgrade because Windows 7 is perfect.
    Requirements:
    • Be human. Male or female will suffice.
    • Love or Like Windows 7 much more than Windows 8.
    To Join:
    • Make a post.
    Benefits:
    • You will find true love one day.
    • You have have a chance to get rich one day.
    • You will have a chance for your dreams to come true one day.

vawrvawerawe, Sep 25, 2020
Thema:

Is it legal to upgrade from WIndows 7/8.1OEM license to Windows 10 ?

1. Is it legal to upgrade from WIndows 7/8.1OEM license to Windows 10 ? - Similar Threads - legal upgrade 1OEM

2. Upgrade from Licensed Win 7 to Licensed Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from Licensed Win 7 to Licensed Win 10: Currently, I heard online saying that Microsoft will free all upgrade keys from Win7 with license to upgrade to Win10 with license for 1 year. Is it the truth? If more than 1 year free from that date, what should I do to upgrade to licensed Win10?Sorry, I'm not a good student...
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1: Hi, Can I still upgrade free of cost into windows 10 from windows 7 or windows 8/8.1 Computers. They can activate by windows 7/8/8.1 product keys. Please reply...
  4. Upgrading Windows 7/8 to Windows 10

Upgrading Windows 7/8 to Windows 10: I have some legal/technical questions Today I updated 3 pcs to Windows 10 1909 PC1: Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro, I didn't need to provide a license key. PC2: Windows 8 Home to Windows 10 Home, I didn't need to provide a license key, but when I tried to upgrade from...
  5. Transferring Windows 10 license that was an upgrade from a Windows 7 retail.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring Windows 10 license that was an upgrade from a Windows 7 retail.: I bought a retail copy of Win 7 Ultimate in 2009 to install on a new desktop build, then in 2014 I upgraded the mobo/cpu/ram and simply kept the same OS drive during the upgrade. I'd been running windows 7 until a few years ago until I accepted the free upgrade to windows 10,...
  6. Tired of windows 10 - Anyone know how i can upgrade to 7 or 8 legally?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Tired of windows 10 - Anyone know how i can upgrade to 7 or 8 legally?: Having exhausted 50 discussions' worth of tips, tricks, regedits, sideliner tools, group policy edits, startup functions, service scrolls, privacy hijacks, a task manager that hides the real culprits and reinstalling Windows 10 4 times, I'm finally ready to admit that I'm no...
  7. Legal and Cheapest options for Windows 10 Pro upgrade (from Windows 7 Pro)

Legal and Cheapest options for Windows 10 Pro upgrade (from Windows 7 Pro): Hi there, We have 40 Windows 7 pcs need to be upgrade to Windows 10, I wondered what is the legal and cheapest option I have? Can I legally (without violating Microsoft license terms) do a clean install on these machines with brand new Windows 10 OEM keys? Your advice...
  8. Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10. Is it still legal?

Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10. Is it still legal?: Hello guys/Microsoft, I have a question which I hope someone may help us with. As a business, we currently run Windows 7 with a planned upgrade to Windows 10 on the horizon. A 'grey area' that I can't find an answer to is upgrading an existing PC from Windows 7 to...
  9. Is it legal to upgrade Windows 7 and 8 to Windows 10 without a license key to Windows 10...

Is it legal to upgrade Windows 7 and 8 to Windows 10 without a license key to Windows 10...: Hi, I have a question. I have a lot of computers in my company that i must to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10. These computers have a windows 7 and 8 license. IS IT LEGAL to upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 using the Create Windows 10 installation media? I tested...
  10. Question about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - license

Question about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - license: Hello all I want to try Windows 10 and accept the free upgrade from Windows 7. If I find in a few months that I want to revert to Windows 7 permanently, is it ok to restore an old system image? I understand that I can only run a single instance of Windows on the one...