Windows 10: Is it me or is File Explorer Search Feature useless?

Discus and support Is it me or is File Explorer Search Feature useless? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It's been years now that I haven't even tried to use File Explorer search feature, since when I tried it many times, it was useless. I tried it again... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ttonon, Dec 26, 2020.

1. ttonon Win User

Is it me or is File Explorer Search Feature useless?

It's been years now that I haven't even tried to use File Explorer search feature, since when I tried it many times, it was useless. I tried it again today, trying to find the exe file for process explorer, searching the Program directories. As usual, the progress slider monitor moves to the right, but it grinds to a stop, even after an hour of search.

So now I'm determined to resolve this. Is this feature so useless, or am I doing something wrong? Why can't this search engine search anything out beyond looking in the smallest of directories?

Thanks. I searched on the forum for previous similar posts, but there are thousands of possibilities. On the side, can anyone please tell me where the Procexp.exe file is?

:)

ttonon, Dec 26, 2020

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Dec 26, 2020
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Dec 26, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Search for Missing files in File Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are looking for a file named “Class” with the length of the file. However, currently File Explorer doesn’t have the option to search the files using the length.

You can follow the steps mentioned below to search for a file in File Explorer using the Size, Kind of file and other options.

1. Press and hold Windows key + E to open
      File Explorer.
    2. Click on This PC on the left pane.
    3. Press F3 key to open Search options.
    4. You can select the Size,
      Kind
      of file and other options and then, search for the file.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Is it me or is File Explorer Search Feature useless? - Similar Threads - File Explorer Search

2. This thing is useless for me...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This thing is useless for me...: As a bengineer Windows user, I know that keep my driver on my Windows up-to-date is necessary Especially graphic, audio and Wifi drivers, updating drivers will bring us a higher experience when using apps and gamesMy problem is about my audio driver, here the detail:In my...
  3. This thing is useless for me...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This thing is useless for me...: As a bengineer Windows user, I know that keep my driver on my Windows up-to-date is necessary Especially graphic, audio and Wifi drivers, updating drivers will bring us a higher experience when using apps and gamesMy problem is about my audio driver, here the detail:In my...
  4. File Search useless

in Cortana
    File Search useless: Why is the search on the Windows explorer so useless? I have seen all kinds of nonsense about how to make it usefull, they do not work. There are free apps, that actually work, what do people at Microsoft do all day?? I tried Wizfile, it is FREE, it takes seconds to search...
  5. Ending mandatory useless features

in Windows 10 Customization
    Ending mandatory useless features: Windows updates try and coerce me to "Sign In with a Microsoft Account", the Settings app is "warning" me that I need to Sign In to "Rewards". I never asked for Bing. "Meet Now" has been added to my task bar without my consent. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I have...
  6. File explorer not letting me search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer not letting me search: Hey so basically the issue is every time i try to search, ill go to click the search bar, the cursor does change to the the cursor when you go to type, but when i click nothing happens im really stressed out over this please help....
  7. File Explorer Search

File Explorer Search: Running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 The search in File Explorer does not work well. It defaults to "All subfolders" and will not let me select "Current Folder". I notice others have the same issue, but I have not seen a solution. Anyone know...
  8. Windows update aparantly renderd my explorer searches useless...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update aparantly renderd my explorer searches useless...: Hello, Anytime I now search for a file in any directory the results show a "PC desktop" looking ICON for all my files. If I click on any of the identical looking icons nothing happens, nada. Please fix this mess! I now have to search for my files by hand every time....
  9. File explorer search feature

File explorer search feature: Hello, It has been 2 updates or so since it doesn't work how it used to. Before, when I went into my file explorer and type something on the search bar on the top right corner, it would search on all my hard drives I have 7 of them. Now I have to manually enter in each...
  10. File explorer reverting search feature?

in Cortana
    File explorer reverting search feature?: Hey community, since the latest Windows 10 update the search function of the file explorer functions different, as alot would have probably noticed. And I hate it. I can't use tag/attribute searches anymore for example "width:x" If I want to search something else I have to...