Windows 10: is it me or is ie11 better than edge?

Discus and support is it me or is ie11 better than edge? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; edge seems massively dumbed down, very bare options configuration compared to IE11. From what I can see all of the following are missing. No... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Chrysalis, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Chrysalis Win User

is it me or is ie11 better than edge?

edge seems massively dumbed down, very bare options configuration compared to IE11.

From what I can see all of the following are missing.

No options to toggle tls 1.1 1.0 1.2 etc.
    No options to toggle gpu acceleration
    No options to set file cache location (I like to use ram disk)
    No security zones
    No tracking protection lists
    No addons
    No advanced cookie settings
    No per domain settings
    No options to adjust certificate verification
    No options to adjust UTF-8 and IDN
    No toggle for crash protection
    No tab options

Basically edge feels like a mobile orientated app, as it uses the "modern" interface.

Is there a reason to use edge instead of IE11? aside from future proofing as I am assuming IE11 at some point will be obsoleted by Microsoft.

:)

Chrysalis, Jul 20, 2015

2. is internet explorer better than chrome and microsoft edge?

First, this is a peer to peer support forum. No one from Microsoft will ever see your post. Use the Feedback option.

Second, Windows 10 comes with both Edge and IE11 so you can use either, or a third party browser.

Which is best? It's the one you like the best.

Bruce Hagen, Jul 20, 2015
  3. DogeBoi Win User
    is internet explorer better than chrome and microsoft edge?

Hey Microsoft,

I've been wondering if Microsoft internet explorer is better than Microsoft edge and Google Chrome.

You've said Microsoft edge is faster than chrome and firefox. But why don't you think about your browser that first appeared in windows 95?

(I really think you should continue windows OS.) (what OS will the world have when BOTH windows 8 and 10 go out of support?)

is it me or is ie11 better than edge? [​IMG]
    Try
    thinking about it.

I know internet explorer 8 was bad, but cant you just make improvments other than just creating an entirely new browser?

Here's what I use:

on
    my NEW acer, Microsoft edge is slow.

Just please tell me if this is better.

DogeBoi, Jul 20, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Edge is still very early in it's development cycle.. give it time and it will get much better.

Oh and I'm using it right now to post here and I like it.. very fast and clean.

BunnyJ, Jul 20, 2015
  5. Chrysalis Win User
    except IE11 is also fast and clean *Wink

Chrysalis, Jul 20, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    The issue with IE is that some sites I use don't work with it. They only can use either FF or Chrome. So from that point of view IE is still way behind. I hope that Edge will be an equal to FF/Chrome. IE is on the way out.

BunnyJ, Jul 20, 2015
  7. Chrysalis Win User
    so you want edge to become another chrome clone?

IE is on the way out, what do you mean by that, is a bit of a vague statement.

IE11 in itself has much less wrogn with it than edge, the only difference now is Microsoft have simply decided to stop updating it. They could have added new capabilities to it to render more sites. So the fact edge can render more sites doesn't make it better, you looking at it the wrong way,

Chrysalis, Jul 20, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

If it is a clone that's fine with me.. I don't have to install it if I have to do a clean install of WIn10.

IE is not going to receive any more development and it's going to still be way behind FF/Chrome and Opera.

And Edge is still in development so it's going to take time for MS to add more features to it. That doesn't mean it's has problems compared to IE.

Finally, It's my opinion what I think of Edge and as usual YMMV. It's just I see more of a future for Edge than IE. MS will eventually phase it out.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Jul 20, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I'm probably a minority of 1 but I don't like Tabbed browsing -- I prefer IE11 with the full menus etc.

Just me perhaps -- but I find navigation etc a lot easier with IE11 than Edge which seems to me too much like using a Mobile Phone type of browser.

As far as speed is concerned --this is such a RUBBISH topic as 95% of the performance problems will be with your network, the remote network, your own hardware and the code (if any) that the remote site executes rather than any inherent performance with the browser itself.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 20, 2015
  10. Geneo Win User
    IDK, but you can't send a page or link by email in either. Pretty basic missing stuff

Geneo, Jul 20, 2015
  11. for me I will be sticking with IE as my main browser, but will occasionally check Edge to see how it goes

As Edge needs to be compatible with all versions of Windows it appears to me that it will stay looking like an app designed for the phone (much like other WinRT apps, Groove/Video as examples)

paulsalter, Jul 20, 2015
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I must be doing something wrong here -- I haven't found any sites that don't work with IE11 -- try compatibility mode for those that don't work.

Any chance of a URL link to test with.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 20, 2015
  13. Mystere Win User

"dumbed down" would imply that MS was deliberately making Edge worse. That is simply not the case. IE is in it's 11th incarnation with over 20 years of development effort. Edge is in its first version, with only a year of development. No software can spring forth from it's creator with 20 years of equivalent maturity in the first version.

Many of the features you are asking about are set in the same way they are in IE, in "Internet Settings". This is a control panel app that many browsers use, including IE, Chrome, and Edge. Just because you don't see the options in the Edge UI doesn't mean anything.

As for Security zones, they are unnecessary in Edge, because Edge naturally follows CORS and other newer standards for security zoning (see Same-origin policy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for an example). You'll note that Chrome and FF don't have security zones either.

Edge is lean and fast. Check out Edge's memory usage compared to IE, Chrome or FF. It's less than half in most cases, and sometimes as much as 1/10th in others.. Especially in multi-tab situations.

IE is "fast", but not as fast as Edge, and nowhere near as fast in things like JavaScript execution where Edge is twice as fast as even Chrome.

Mystere, Jul 20, 2015
  14. TheSchaft Win User
    I think that Edge has a ways to go, undoubtedly due to its immaturity.

Yes, it is faster and seems to use less memory, but it has some, to me, glaring issues - difficulty changing search engines, no capability to block ads, can only add favorites/bookmarks via another browser, etc.

All that said, it does appear to be the "browser of the future" for Windows. Whether people will go to it instead of IE/FF/Chrome remains to be seen. I understand why it is the default browser in 10, they want to get folks to use it and get telemetry on how it is working so they can fix it. At the same time, with the shape it is in right now, it may be a turn-off for people who are used to FF or Chrome, or even IE.

Like favorite AV software, this is not something that will ever be resolved. *Smile

TheSchaft, Jul 20, 2015
  15. As shown here in this example:
    Edge

Drop down works OK

IE 11

But doesn't in IE11. There's no way you can move the mouse over the Styles Schemes sub menu without it disappearing.

WightWalker, Jul 20, 2015
Thema:

1. is it me or is ie11 better than edge? - Similar Threads - ie11 better edge

2. is cortana better than alexa

in Cortana
    is cortana better than alexa: I need to set up Cortana or Alexa I know which one to use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-cortana-better-than-alexa/415fa570-41d8-4a86-92e1-423af2e72035
  3. is cortana better than alexa

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is cortana better than alexa: I need to set up Cortana or Alexa I know which one to use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-cortana-better-than-alexa/415fa570-41d8-4a86-92e1-423af2e72035
  4. is cortana better than alexa

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Seems better than ever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seems better than ever: The problem-free performance of my Win11 has always been very good... fast, snappy & smooth. But I swear since moving to 22H2 it is or seems to be even more so... I do not believe I am imagining it be even quicker & more responsive than ever after moving to 22H2. Has anyone...
  6. Ms edge - ie11 emulation???

in Browsers and Email
    Ms edge - ie11 emulation???: I have a software package, an installation .exe file, that needs IE to work. Is there any way for MS Edge to emulate IE since my version W10 Build 21390.2025 does not include IE and will not permit it to be installed. Any thoughts appreciated. 181784
  7. PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE ?: From FIRST INSTALLTION of any particular version of Windows, or other amenable operating system, use AOMEI Partition Assistant to copy the Partition, or Migrate the Operating System, to another drive. If, at some future occasion, your system acquires mysterious problems that...
  8. Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE): Hi Folks Be extra careful currently as there is STILL a problem in security with IE11 and Edge which can allow "unscrupulous" users to hijack your browser / do other nasty things - and currently NO A/V software can protect against this. BE VERY CAREFUL if using IE11 /...
  9. IE11 vs. Edge

in Browsers and Email
    IE11 vs. Edge: Does anyone know of a good source that explains the difference between IE11 and Edge? Pretty much all I've gathered is that Edge isn't as compatible with as many web-sites as IE11. Why the introduction of a new browser? Why isn't it more compatible? 48979
  10. Microsoft Edge and IE11 better together in Windows 10 Anniv. Update

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge and IE11 better together in Windows 10 Anniv. Update: Microsoft Edge is built from the ground up to improve productivity, to be more secure, and to correctly, quickly, and reliably render web pages. While Microsoft Edge is the default browser for Windows 10 and is the best fit for most users, we recognize that some Enterprise...