Windows 10: Is it necessary to fresh win install after upgrading motherboard/CPU?

Discus and support Is it necessary to fresh win install after upgrading motherboard/CPU? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Do I have to do a fresh windows install after upgrading to a new motherboard and CPU? And if it's really necessary, Can I get away with the "keep your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pezhmank, Nov 22, 2017.

1. pezhmank Win User

Is it necessary to fresh win install after upgrading motherboard/CPU?

Do I have to do a fresh windows install after upgrading to a new motherboard and CPU?
    And if it's really necessary, Can I get away with the "keep your existing file" option or do I need to clean format my drive before installing windows?

:)

pezhmank, Nov 22, 2017
  2. ScottWarr Win User

Changing Motherboard on Win 10 that was upgraded from Win 7 OEM

I am wondering what I need to do after replacing the motherboard on my PC to get an activated version of win 10 Home. I realize that due to OEM version on win 7 before upgrade that I now have an OEM version of Win 10. I was not planning a fresh install
    so was hoping to boot up and install the necessary drivers for the new motherboard. If this works I assume I have to purchase a new license. Can I purchase a key online and just simply enter it to activate or will I need to fresh re-install. Moving from
    Intel z68 to Intel z170 skylake. Thanks...

ScottWarr, Nov 22, 2017
  3. sineverba Win User
    Windows 10 and Motherboard sell

Hi to all,

I'm planing to upgrade from WIN 7 PRO (retail) to Win10, but AFTER changing my Motherboard with a new.

I tried WIN 10 with actual Motherboard, and after I did rollback (now, after a fresh reinstall, I'm going with the 7PRO retail again).

My question is:

When I will sell my actual motherboard that has "seen" Windows 10 for a week or two, new customer (sigh) can activate Win 10 and invalidate my 7/10 ?

sineverba, Nov 22, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2017
  5. pezhmank Win User
    That's so strange, I've done a few google search and asked couple of tech savy friends and almost every result is urging a fresh install after new hardware, Can I really get away with not doing a reinstall of windows?

pezhmank, Nov 22, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes. Microsoft even says so. Make sure the new computer is booting in the same mode the old computer did. If the old computer was legacy BIOS - the new computer needs to be set in legacy BIOS or CSM mode. If the old computer was booting in UEFI, the new computer needs to as well.

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2017
  7. Runnerbean, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it necessary to fresh win install after upgrading motherboard/CPU? - Similar Threads - necessary fresh install

2. BSOD after motherboard and CPU upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after motherboard and CPU upgrade: Hello everyone,I had few issues with my old pc my supply broke the motherboard and cpu, also the power supply got fixed. But i had to change mbd and cpuOld system:i7 6700kNoctua NHD14asus z170a16g ram 2400mhzssd samsung evo 840Segotep 900gNew system:Ryzen 5600Noctua...
  3. BSOD after motherboard and CPU upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD after motherboard and CPU upgrade: Hello everyone,I had few issues with my old pc my supply broke the motherboard and cpu, also the power supply got fixed. But i had to change mbd and cpuOld system:i7 6700kNoctua NHD14asus z170a16g ram 2400mhzssd samsung evo 840Segotep 900gNew system:Ryzen 5600Noctua...
  4. BSOD after motherboard and CPU upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BSOD after CPU and motherboard upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after CPU and motherboard upgrade: I just finished upgrading my pc from a b450-f gaming and ryzen 5 2600 to a b550-f gaming and ryzen 5 5600x. Whenever I try to boot, though, I keep getting “system thread exception not handled.” Any help would be really appreciated!...
  6. BSOD after CPU and motherboard upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD after CPU and motherboard upgrade: I just finished upgrading my pc from a b450-f gaming and ryzen 5 2600 to a b550-f gaming and ryzen 5 5600x. Whenever I try to boot, though, I keep getting “system thread exception not handled.” Any help would be really appreciated!...
  7. BSOD after CPU and motherboard upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Activation problems after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation problems after motherboard and cpu upgrade: Can someone reset my activation key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-problems-after-motherboard-and-cpu/fbe5403c-5ed0-4dea-a7a0-de50282e0983
  9. upgrading motherboard and cpu

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrading motherboard and cpu: Hi, I have a question regarding upgrading my motherboard and cpu. I currently have an off the shelf gaming PC purchased a few years ago. I am looking to replace my asrock B-360M andi5-9400F with newly purchased Asus Prime Z390-A and I9 9900k. My question is in regard to the...
  10. Cpu and motherboard upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cpu and motherboard upgrade: Hi im going to upgrade my system can i format the ssd in my pc without doing a fresh install just deleting the data and put my new cpu and motherboard ? submitted by /u/f9mh [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k68v9e/cpu_and_motherboard_upgrade/