Windows 10: is it normal for a new windows 10 PC to have a black screen upon restarting

Discus and support is it normal for a new windows 10 PC to have a black screen upon restarting in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i got a new PC and began setting it up this morning, i put in the settings for my language and keyboard setup before it said that they were going to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pigmaskplayer, Aug 11, 2022.

1. is it normal for a new windows 10 PC to have a black screen upon restarting

i got a new PC and began setting it up this morning, i put in the settings for my language and keyboard setup before it said that they were going to work their magic. after this, they said the computer was going to restart and it did, and upon restarting it’s been on a black screen for around 15 minutes, though the mouse can be moved. is this normal or is something wrong?

:)

pigmaskplayer, Aug 11, 2022

2. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

Black screen after sign-in and you can see a mouse cursor:

Unplug your external devices

When you are at the black screen, try unplugging any peripherals you have plugged in at the time, and wait for a moment. If your screen becomes visible again, plug the peripherals back in one at a time.

Use Safe Mode

If unplugging peripherals not resolve the issue, for each of the troubleshooting steps below, you will need to use Safe Mode to troubleshoot this issue. To enter Safe Mode:

1. Reboot the PC, and when you reach the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you click the Power button and select Restart.
    2. When the system reboots, you will enter the Windows Recovery Environment.Select Troubleshoot, and then Advanced options, then Startup Settings, and Restart. When it restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with networking.
    Reinstall your graphics card driver:

1. Once you’ve entered Safe Mode, right-click the Start icon and select Device Manager.
    2. Expand Display Adapter.
    3. Right-click your display adapter and select Uninstall. Then reboot your PC.
    Check the registry

You may also see a black screen after signing in if the user interface has been replaced with software that is incompatible with Windows 10. You can check this in the registry. Warning: This solution will modify the registry. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Prior to attempting these steps, you should backup the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

1. Once you’ve entered Safe Mode, right-click the Start icon and select Run.
    2. Type regedit.exe into the Open text box and click OK.
    3. Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    4. Click to select the WinLogon key, and then, in the right pane, click Shell. The value of Shell in the Data column should be explorer.exe. If the value of Shell isn't explorer.exe, double-click Shell, and then, in the Value data text field, enter explorer.exe, and then click OK.
    5. Close the Registry Editor and then restart your PC.

Check for a corrupted user account

There could be a problem with the user account. To test this, create a new administrator user account and check if the new account also boots to a black screen:

1. Once you’ve entered Safe Mode, right-click the Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    2. In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands (changing “<password>” to something of your choice):

net user test <password> /add
      net localgroup Administrators test /add

Provided by: Sharath Srinivasa, Microsoft Forum Moderator.

See if any of this works for you,
    John

AmericanPharaoh, Aug 11, 2022
  3. Random black screen after sometimes it restart and become normal screen

Hi Dai,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Inconvenience regretted. I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Method 1: You may update the Display driver from Device Manager manually and check if this helps.

• Open run command by pressing Windows key + R and type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotes) and hit Enter.

• Spot and expand the “Display adaptors”.

• Right click on the video driver and select “Update Driver Software”. Once this is done, restart the computer to check the problem fixed.
    Method 2: Further, if there no updated drivers available on the computer manufacturer’s website, then trying installing it in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version
    of Windows.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

• Right-click on the driver setup file and click on
      ‘properties’

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
      ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    Troubleshoot black screen problems

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

Hope this will address your query.

SujataMoktan, Aug 11, 2022
  4. 95Viper Win User

is it normal for a new windows 10 PC to have a black screen upon restarting

Black screen after 'Starting Windows' sequence

Sounds like the old... windows black screen of death.

Try this quoted from "VisiHow" article "Repair Windows 7 Black Screen of Death":

They, also, have some other options there, too.
    Google search and you will find a lot of the "Windows Black Screen of Death with cursor" fixes.

95Viper, Aug 11, 2022
Thema:

is it normal for a new windows 10 PC to have a black screen upon restarting

1. is it normal for a new windows 10 PC to have a black screen upon restarting - Similar Threads - normal black screen

2. Screen flashes normal, to black to normal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen flashes normal, to black to normal: HP laptop 17-cn0xxx.... Win 11 pro...Screen intermittently flashes normal, to black and back to normal... 1 thousand 1, 1 thousand 2, 1 thousand 3.I have ran all Hp and Microsoft trouble shooters to no avail.Trouble shooters say "display driver" is fine."Any program' open,...
  3. Screen flashes normal, to black to normal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen flashes normal, to black to normal: HP laptop 17-cn0xxx.... Win 11 pro...Screen intermittently flashes normal, to black and back to normal... 1 thousand 1, 1 thousand 2, 1 thousand 3.I have ran all Hp and Microsoft trouble shooters to no avail.Trouble shooters say "display driver" is fine."Any program' open,...
  4. is it normal for a new windows 10 PC to have a black screen upon restarting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is it normal for a new windows 10 PC to have a black screen upon restarting: i got a new PC and began setting it up this morning, i put in the settings for my language and keyboard setup before it said that they were going to work their magic. after this, they said the computer was going to restart and it did, and upon restarting it’s been on a black...
  5. is it normal for a new windows 10 PC to have a black screen upon restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is it normal for a new windows 10 PC to have a black screen upon restarting: i got a new PC and began setting it up this morning, i put in the settings for my language and keyboard setup before it said that they were going to work their magic. after this, they said the computer was going to restart and it did, and upon restarting it’s been on a black...
  6. Black Screen on Restart but normal boot on reset button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black Screen on Restart but normal boot on reset button: This is a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on a brand new MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX with a brand new Ryzen 5 3600.During Windows install, the computer would restart normally. Now that install is complete, Windows just restarts to a black screen no signal detected and the LED on...
  7. Black screen upon starting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen upon starting: Hi people, i updated my laptop with recent update 1903, it was working fine until today. Its battery depleted completely today and after a while i put it on charging. But when i tried to start it, it just became black screen with nothing and caps lock key blinking...
  8. Black flickering screen upon restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black flickering screen upon restart: I am seeing black flickering screen upon restart. I tried F8 and nothing seems happening, it's just have the black flickering screen. Please help as I need this laptop for school tomorrow....
  9. Windows 10 PC Black Screen Upon Startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 PC Black Screen Upon Startup: I can't get into my windows 10 pc. IT will say "preparing automatic repair, then show a black screen. I've tried making a USB using rufus to repair Windows 10, still black screen upon loading from usb. I cant get into safe mode, I cant boot at all. It gets to the splash...
  10. Black screen but Windows 10 loads normal

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen but Windows 10 loads normal: Hey all, I've recently upgraded my Windows 7 HP 6200 pro machine to Windows 10 pro. It all went fine however this annoying problem, when I turn on the computer, the screen is blank for 1 minute.. I see no HP logo or any chance to boot into bios, or other stuff.. like info...