Windows 10: Is it normal for some Microsoft entries to appear as not verified on autoruns?

Discus and support Is it normal for some Microsoft entries to appear as not verified on autoruns? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I was checking around autoruns and wasn't sure if this was normal.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SammyTammyRed, Oct 8, 2022.

1. Is it normal for some Microsoft entries to appear as not verified on autoruns?

I was checking around autoruns and wasn't sure if this was normal.

:)

SammyTammyRed, Oct 8, 2022
  2. mknawabi Win User

Just when you think MS is getting a little Smarter/Microsoft kills off autorun

I really don't understand how some are complaining about autorun being disabled. For USB drives, it will pop up a dialog asking you whether you want to view the folder or not. Is that seriously not good enough?

For CDs however, microsoft stated that they would still allow the autorun function to be listed as an option in the dialog.

Autorun is a pretty big security risk, and Microsoft is saving a lot of headaches from the IT crowd for this.

mknawabi, Oct 8, 2022
  3. Windows 10 Autorun?

Hello,

As you are asking whether the security of disabling Autorun/Autoplay option from system settings is the same as disabling from the registry and will take affect in the same way. There is no need to worry about virus threats which usually attack from autorun/autoplay.
    If you want to disable autorun/autoplay from registry, follow the steps provided below:

• Type regedit in the search box and press Enter.
    • Navigate to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    • In the right pane of the window create a new DWORD value "NoDriveTypeAutorun".
    • Set the value based on the following requirements:
      • FF – To disable AutoRun on all drives
      • 20 – To disable AutoRun on CD-ROM drives
      • 4 – To disable AutoRun on removable drives
      • 8 – To disable AutoRun on fixed drives
      • 10 – To disable AutoRun on network drives
      • 40 – To disable AutoRun on RAM disks
      • 1 – To disable AutoRun on unknown drives
    • If you want to disable AutoRun on a certain combination of drives, you’ll have to combine their values. For example, if you want to disable AutoRun on CD-ROM and removable drives, set the value of DWORD to 28.
    • If you want to return AutoRun functionality, just delete the NoDriveTypeAutorun DWORD value.

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore,
    make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following
    article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (How to back up and restore the registry in Windows )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 8, 2022
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Is it normal for some Microsoft entries to appear as not verified on autoruns?

How can I remove this virus remnant?

I was also going to suggest Autoruns.

Check to make sure it isn't attaching itself to explorer. It should be the 3rd thing listed in Autoruns, the listing for the Shell. It should just be Explorer.exe. If it is anything else, that might be your problem.

newtekie1, Oct 8, 2022
Thema:

Is it normal for some Microsoft entries to appear as not verified on autoruns?

1. Is it normal for some Microsoft entries to appear as not verified on autoruns? - Similar Threads - normal Microsoft entries

2. MediaCreationTool22H2.exe not a Microsoft-verified app. Is this normal?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MediaCreationTool22H2.exe not a Microsoft-verified app. Is this normal?: Is this expected behavior? On Windows 11, when I run MediaCreationTool22H2.exe it says "The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app". If it matters, the MediaCreationTool is for Windows 10....
  3. MediaCreationTool22H2.exe not a Microsoft-verified app. Is this normal?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MediaCreationTool22H2.exe not a Microsoft-verified app. Is this normal?: Is this expected behavior? On Windows 11, when I run MediaCreationTool22H2.exe it says "The app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app". If it matters, the MediaCreationTool is for Windows 10....
  4. MediaCreationTool22H2.exe not a Microsoft-verified app. Is this normal?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Is it normal for some Microsoft entries to appear as not verified on autoruns?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it normal for some Microsoft entries to appear as not verified on autoruns?: I was checking around autoruns and wasn't sure if this was normal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-normal-for-some-microsoft-entries-to-appear/d3990e1e-ea59-434c-bd5c-77b7f17137d6
  6. Is it normal for some Microsoft entries to appear as not verified on autoruns?

Is it normal for some Microsoft entries to appear as not verified on autoruns?: I was checking around autoruns and wasn't sure if this was normal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-normal-for-some-microsoft-entries-to-appear/d3990e1e-ea59-434c-bd5c-77b7f17137d6
  7. Autoruns Entry..File Not found

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Autoruns Entry..File Not found: I was doing my daily auto runs check and immediately noticed a new entry in yellow file not found Name=fiddvr64 It's supposed to be in System32\fiddvr64.sys. Anyone know what is? TYIA [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  8. Autoruns: Puzzling entries

Autoruns: Puzzling entries: I don't recall seeing these entries before, but what is puzzling me is the timestamp - 1975? [img] *Confused 128580
  9. SafeBoot Entry Showing in Autoruns

SafeBoot Entry Showing in Autoruns: I happened to run Autoruns and noticed the first entry showing as: "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\AlternateShell" "" "" "" "6/17/2017 1:07 AM" "" + "cmd.exe" "Windows Command Processor" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" "5/30/2017 3:10...
  10. "n/a" entry in Autoruns listings: what is it?

in Windows 10 Support
    "n/a" entry in Autoruns listings: what is it?: Hi! Today I noticed something that wasn't there in past days: "n/a" entries in Autoruns in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components Respective registry entries:...