Windows 10: Is it normal for Windows 10 to use 7GB of RAM when idle?

Discus and support Is it normal for Windows 10 to use 7GB of RAM when idle? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I have 32GB of RAM, and though I've never once encountered a problem related to this it's something I'm curious about. With all programmes closed,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/xe3to, May 14, 2020.

1. /u/xe3to Win User

Is it normal for Windows 10 to use 7GB of RAM when idle?

Hi,

I have 32GB of RAM, and though I've never once encountered a problem related to this it's something I'm curious about. With all programmes closed, Task Manager shows about 22% of my memory is in use - that's around 7GB. However, when I add up the listed memory use for each process, it's not even close to that amount. At first I thought it was some kind of malware but 1) that usually eats up CPU, not RAM and 2) I've run full scans with Kaspersky, MalwareBytes, Defender, and even Hitman Pro which all turned up nothing. sfc /scannow says my system image is good as well.

I'm aware that unused RAM is wasted RAM, and so it makes sense for Windows to be taking advantage of the large amount that I have. All that bothers me is the fact that the displayed memory usage doesn't add up.

This is my Performance tab with just Chrome open, and this is my Processes tab.

Not sure if this violates the technical support rule, but I guess I'm not really asking for help since this could very well be normal behaviour.

Thanks.

submitted by /u/xe3to
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/xe3to, May 14, 2020
  2. worf105 Win User

Windows 10 Idle RAM Usage

My system uses around 1.6 GB while at idle.

worf105, May 14, 2020
  3. JOGAN Win User
    Windows 10 Idle RAM Usage

Is it normal for Windows 10 to use 7GB of RAM when idle? [​IMG]

I'm wondering if my idle ram is normal for Windows 10. It's using about 1.2-1.5GB on idle without any programs running.

On Windows 8 it my idle usage was 900MB - 1.1GB with no programs running and with all the same programs installed.

So is that a normal amount for windows 10? Does W10 just utilise more ram?

How much memory is windows 10 using for you?

JOGAN, May 14, 2020
  4. Is it normal for Windows 10 to use 7GB of RAM when idle?

Idle ram usage at around 8GB!

ive seen similair threads, and have tweaked the registry values in similair youtube videos.

just from a normal startup I peak at around 60% used ram out 16 gb installed ( 10ish gb).

most of the ram is being used by system prcesses mostly reading anywhere from.1-.2 % for each process. I am very confused what is causing this and would like to know if anyone else has seen an issue like this?

after registry tweaks dont aolve, is my next step to reinstall windows? Is adding more ram viable instead? Thanks for taking the time everyone

TLDR: machine idles at 8gb ram usage before and after registry tweaks, whats is my next step in diagnosing the cause?

NileStephey, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Is it normal for Windows 10 to use 7GB of RAM when idle?

1. Is it normal for Windows 10 to use 7GB of RAM when idle? - Similar Threads - normal 7GB RAM

2. 100 percent memory use when its using only 7gb of 16gb of ram

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100 percent memory use when its using only 7gb of 16gb of ram: I have started experiencing low frame rates after installing my new aio. My cpu and gpu will be low usage but my ram will be at 99 or 100 percent and in task manager it only shows it using 7gb of the 16gb installed in my pc. I have a B450 AORUS ELITE rev. 1.x motherboard and...
  3. 100 percent memory use when its using only 7gb of 16gb of ram

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100 percent memory use when its using only 7gb of 16gb of ram: I have started experiencing low frame rates after installing my new aio. My cpu and gpu will be low usage but my ram will be at 99 or 100 percent and in task manager it only shows it using 7gb of the 16gb installed in my pc. I have a B450 AORUS ELITE rev. 1.x motherboard and...
  4. 100 percent memory use when its using only 7gb of 16gb of ram

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows using 4GB ram at idle

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows using 4GB ram at idle: I noticed that my windows is using 4GB of ram 2x4GB 1666MHz, my motherboard supports maximum of 1333.I tried this: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/9qhk6x/if_your_computer_is_using_around_4050_ram_while/ but it didn't changed anything.I also tried this...
  6. Windows 10 uses too much RAM in idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 uses too much RAM in idle: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Hakurn [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jgteve/windows_10_uses_too_much_ram_in_idle/
  7. RAM memory idling higher than normal

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RAM memory idling higher than normal: So I let my dad use my laptop for work over the weekend. He left open maybe 30 tabs between word, pdf, and chrome; some downloads too. I noticed my RAM memory is now idling at 30%. I read that this is due to cached data? How can I remedy this? submitted by /u/Yintwin...
  8. Windows Using Upwards of 60% RAM when Idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Using Upwards of 60% RAM when Idle: Hey community, I've noticed when my system is idle (nothing actively open), it's using 50% to 60% RAM. I've searched around a bunch and tried some suggestions, but none have fixed the issue. I've booted into safe mode in an attempt to find the source of the issue but wasn't...
  9. Windows 10 uses 2GB RAM on idle

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 uses 2GB RAM on idle: I have an Acer laptop, that runs on Windows 10. I have major issues with it, like it being slow. But I'm concerned about it using 2GB RAM on idle. I only have 4GB RAM, which bothers me a lot. I was wondering if there is any fix, so I am contacting you guys. And by the way,...
  10. Windows 10 use 1gb of ram at idle?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 use 1gb of ram at idle?: Why Windows 10 use 1gb of ram at idle (32bit)? Can I turn of something? Thats too much. Windows 8.1 used below 500mb. Also my part of the screen on the left is black. I have radeon 4650, windows found drivers but probably I will need drivers from radeon but on the web...