Windows 10: is it normal that my computer takes almost 50% of my memory when my computer is idle

Discus and support is it normal that my computer takes almost 50% of my memory when my computer is idle in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; is it normal that my computer takes almost 50% of my memory when my computer is idle or doesn't open any application... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by vincenthartantoo, Apr 20, 2019.

1. is it normal that my computer takes almost 50% of my memory when my computer is idle

is it normal that my computer takes almost 50% of my memory when my computer is idle or doesn't open any application​

:)

vincenthartantoo, Apr 20, 2019

2. Is 40% Memory Usage at Idle Normal for a Computer with Low Specs?

I have a brand new laptop computer and I have been having some trouble with processes taking up a lot of CPU, disk and memory resources. After a lot of tinkering, I fixed every problem except for having 40% memory usage at idle. I still think having such a high memory usage at idle is a red flag, but then I remembered that this is not my desktop PC, I have very modest specs on this laptop.

• CPU: 7th gen i5
    • RAM: 4GB
    • Memory/Storage: 128GB SSD

Maybe 4GB of RAM is barely enough to keep the core processes afloat? Can anyone with some experience on the matter let me know what they think? I'd like to know what is a good baseline for performance so I know when I should stop troubleshooting for leaks/other issues.

is it normal that my computer takes almost 50% of my memory  when my computer is idle jexWI.png

Arash Howaida, Apr 20, 2019
  3. Is 40% Memory Usage at Idle Normal for a Computer with Low Specs?

The amount of RAM that Windows shows as "in use" on an idle system is almost always practically meaningless.

Windows (like Linux) is a demand-paged, virtual memory operating system: The OS pages things in when and as they're needed (that's the "on demand" part). "Need" is evidenced by hard page faults. "Things" are sets of pages of code and data.

A great deal of this happens when the OS starts up. At OS startup time a great many programs that are parts of the OS, plus many more that you installed, are launched. After their initialization steps, most of them don't do much most of the time - this is why your CPU usage will show near-zero.

Now, if you don't need the RAM for anything else (because the system is, as you say, idle and has been since startup) the OS has no reason to page any of that stuff out - and since some of those programs might need some of it again soon, there is reason to keep it in RAM.

But if new programs that you start later need more RAM than what's currently available, Windows will automatically reduce the amount of RAM held (the "working sets") by idle processes to make room. Writing to the pagefile is one method used here, but not the only one.

You don't need to worry about it, and you don't need to do anything to "optimize" it, unless you have performance issues when running the apps you need to run. In which case you're no longer worried about Windows' idle memory usage. is it normal that my computer takes almost 50% of my memory  when my computer is idle ;)

See my longer answer here.

Jamie Hanrahan, Apr 20, 2019
  4. Jonas Flo Win User

is it normal that my computer takes almost 50% of my memory when my computer is idle

Bluetooth still on while idle

Thanks for following the steps. Now, the settings won't take effect if you are only using normal PC idle mode. Normal functionality of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi settings are to stay connected even if PC is idle. With the settings that you have created, we would
    suggest that you set your PC to automatically go to Sleep or
    Hibernate
    once idle. In this way, the settings "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" should take effect.

To set your PC to automatically go to Sleep or Hibernate when idle, please follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel, set view by: Small
      icons.
    • Look for Power Options.
    • Click on Change when the computer sleeps on the left pane.
    • Set a timer.

Please try it out. Hope it helps. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to come back to us.

Jonas Flo, Apr 20, 2019
Thema:

is it normal that my computer takes almost 50% of my memory when my computer is idle

1. is it normal that my computer takes almost 50% of my memory when my computer is idle - Similar Threads - normal computer takes

2. My Memory is at 50% while idle.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Memory is at 50% while idle.: I checked my task manager to see why its so slow playing games then i found out that the ram was 89% while i was playing so i closed the game and restarted my computer and when i restarted my ram is 50 percent. DWM, antimalware and windows explorer has been causing this. i...
  3. My Memory is at 50% while idle.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Memory is at 50% while idle.: I checked my task manager to see why its so slow playing games then i found out that the ram was 89% while i was playing so i closed the game and restarted my computer and when i restarted my ram is 50 percent. DWM, antimalware and windows explorer has been causing this. i...
  4. when idle, antimalware service executable using about 50% of my memory....is that normal?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    when idle, antimalware service executable using about 50% of my memory....is that normal?: im noticed this problem yesterday....because when im playing game suddenly memory jump more than usual it seems...then i checked idle position...it turns out antimalware service executable using 50% of my memory at idle position...so if this was a problem, how can i fix...
  5. when idle, antimalware service executable using about 50% of my memory....is that normal?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when idle, antimalware service executable using about 50% of my memory....is that normal?: im noticed this problem yesterday....because when im playing game suddenly memory jump more than usual it seems...then i checked idle position...it turns out antimalware service executable using 50% of my memory at idle position...so if this was a problem, how can i fix...
  6. when idle, antimalware service executable using about 50% of my memory....is that normal?

7. My computer uses 50% of my RAM while idle

My computer uses 50% of my RAM while idle: Even with no programs open, on the desktop, my computer is eating through 4.2GB of my 8GB of RAM. Does anyone have a solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-uses-50-of-my-ram-while-idle/0457b542-d119-4347-8ea7-f28d42832aef
  8. My computer uses 50% of my RAM while idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer uses 50% of my RAM while idle: Even with no programs open, on the desktop, my computer is eating through 4.2GB of my 8GB of RAM. Does anyone have a solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-uses-50-of-my-ram-while-idle/0457b542-d119-4347-8ea7-f28d42832aef
  9. My computer uses 50% of my RAM while idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. My computer freezes when on idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer freezes when on idle: If I leave my Asus UX571UD (Zenbook Flip) laptop on idle it freezes and the fans keep spinning. Screen remains black. I have hd this since at least 1809. Tried to set power settings to default but it still happens. Everything is up to date drivers and os (20H1 currently)....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is it normal to have your PC take 50% memory