Windows 10: Is it ok to enable 2 processors?

Discus and support Is it ok to enable 2 processors? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; While I was checking around the settings, I noticed that my Laptop has 4 cores. I was thinking enabling all of them for faster Gaming Performance,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MGPlayz19, Jul 14, 2019.

1. MGPlayz19 Win User

Is it ok to enable 2 processors?

While I was checking around the settings, I noticed that my Laptop has 4 cores. I was thinking enabling all of them for faster Gaming Performance, but.. is it okay to just enable 2 processors? Will it affect my processor speed?

Is it ok to enable 2 processors? c2fd6f66-f2ad-464c-876a-a2d74387710d?upload=true.png

:)

MGPlayz19, Jul 14, 2019

2. Single Processor Issue on Dual Processor Machine - Windows 10 Home

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Method 1: Follow the steps below to enable both the processors.

Step 1: Type System Configuration in the search bar next to
    Start button.

Step 2: Click on Boot tab, and click on
    Advanced options

Step 3: Check the Number of processors box, and select the number of processors you use in the drop down bar that is showing as
    1. If the choice box is not accessible it means you do not possess a multi core processor.

Step 4: Click on OK, and again click on OK
    in the system configuration windows.

Step 5: Save all the files and folders that you were using, and then
    Restart your PC.

The changes will be immediately effective.

Method 2: If the issue still persist, upgrade your processors from
    Device Manager by following the steps below.

Step 1: Type Device manager in the search bar next to
    Start button.

Step 2: Expand Processors, select the processor, right click on it, and select
    Update Driver Software.

Hope this helps!

Get back to us if you have queries regarding Windows, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you,

Microsoft Community.

Likhitha V, Jul 14, 2019
  3. how to activated all the processors.

Hi,

Thank you for posting. From your issue description, I understand that you want to activate 8 cores in the CPU.

To help you suggest more steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate it if you could answer the following questions:

1. are you running 32-bit or 64-bit operating system?

2. What is the make and model of the computer?

Check if you can enable all the processors from advanced boot menu.

Press Windows Key + x from the keyboard->type msconfig->Click on Boot->Advanced Options->Check on Number of Processors->Now select the Processor that you want to activate->Click on Apply->OK.

You can now restart the computer and check.

If the above step fails, I suggest you to check in the BIOS options to see if you can enable 8 cores.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If nothing works I request you to get in touch with the hardware manufacturer. The processor cores activation should be under the hardware manufacturer's support.

Hope this will be helpful. Incase if you still have further queries please reply with more details and we will be happy to help you.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jul 14, 2019
  4. Is it ok to enable 2 processors?

What's the difference between these two processors.

the first one is stepping E3, the second one is stepping E6. whats stepping?

No processor design is perfect. The first version of a new microprocessor product is the A-0 step. Later, as improvements are made to the product for functional (bug) fixes or manufacturing improvements, the stepping number will increase.

Generally speaking, minor changes result in an increased number, (that is, A-1 to A-2) while more complex changes result in the letter being changed (that is, A-2 to B-0).

If new steppings come out with fewer bugs you are usually not eligible to RMA for a newer processor. Most of these bugs are supposed to be worked around in the motherboard design, BIOS (drivers), and applications.

Intel produces a detailed document called a "Specification Update" for each of their processor models that covers all of the various steppings, and lists exactly which bugs (they call them "errata") each one has and a description of the bug. For example you can download the Pentium IV specification Update from Intel at Resource & Design Center for Development with Intel
    A similar document is available for every processor they make.

AMD uses the term "revision numbers" to refer to steppings for its Athlon and other processors. To see the errata for a given AMD processor, look up its revision guide, which lists the processor revision numbers and the errata which apply to each revision. For example, the revision guide for the AMD Athlon XP model 8 processor is available from AMD at
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25703.pdf

what does this all mean, well you are likely to have less compatablity problems with the newer version of the processor, but as most motherboard manufactures are good with bios updates, this should not be a problem.

cjoyce1980, Jul 14, 2019
Thema:

Is it ok to enable 2 processors?

1. Is it ok to enable 2 processors? - Similar Threads - enable processors

2. My PC can't start correctly and keeps restarting after I enabled all processors on boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC can't start correctly and keeps restarting after I enabled all processors on boot: What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-cant-start-correctly-and-keeps-restarting/b643ab73-a523-4d98-b297-f62a61e70d8e
  3. My PC can't start correctly and keeps restarting after I enabled all processors on boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC can't start correctly and keeps restarting after I enabled all processors on boot: What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-cant-start-correctly-and-keeps-restarting/b643ab73-a523-4d98-b297-f62a61e70d8e
  4. My PC can't start correctly and keeps restarting after I enabled all processors on boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Will enable all 16 logical processors reduce my computer lifespan and harm my CPU?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will enable all 16 logical processors reduce my computer lifespan and harm my CPU?: I just want to increase my computer base speed higher than 2.00 GHZ . After a few attempts , I enabled all 16 processor . My CPU speed went from around 1.5-1.8 to now 2.7-4.2 GHZ. I was pretty happy now but one question remains . Will such move harm my computer?...
  6. Will enable all 16 logical processors reduce my computer lifespan and harm my CPU?

Will enable all 16 logical processors reduce my computer lifespan and harm my CPU?: I just want to increase my computer base speed higher than 2.00 GHZ . After a few attempts , I enabled all 16 processor . My CPU speed went from around 1.5-1.8 to now 2.7-4.2 GHZ. I was pretty happy now but one question remains . Will such move harm my computer?...
  7. Windows 11 Enquiry TPM 2.0 is Enabled but Processor isn't Currently Supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Enquiry TPM 2.0 is Enabled but Processor isn't Currently Supported: Hi.Both Windows Update and the PC Health Check App say that '[My] PC doesn't currently meet Windows 11 system requirements'.On the PC Health Check App, my system passes all the requirements, except the one that says - 'The processor isn't currently supported for Windows...
  8. Windows 11 Enquiry TPM 2.0 is Enabled but Processor isn't Currently Supported

Windows 11 Enquiry TPM 2.0 is Enabled but Processor isn't Currently Supported: Hi.Both Windows Update and the PC Health Check App say that '[My] PC doesn't currently meet Windows 11 system requirements'.On the PC Health Check App, my system passes all the requirements, except the one that says - 'The processor isn't currently supported for Windows...
  9. BSOD from changing number of processors and enabling PCI lock

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD from changing number of processors and enabling PCI lock: Was messing around with my msconfig settings and got stuck on BSOD for a while. Found a fix that doesn't require resetting and thought it might be useful to share. From BSOD, access recovery mode and get to the command prompt. Enter in CMD: bcdedit /deletevalue...
  10. how to enable "maximum processor state"

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to enable "maximum processor state": I was trying to access the "maximum processor state" in the power options to adjust the percentage but found out that it's no longer visible. So I tried to follow guides on youtube and google to find a solution but to no avail. I was told by these guides to mess around with...