Windows 10: Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?

Discus and support Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I came across an old thread on here and elsewhere on the internet that discussed System Restore usage on an SSD. I am aware that Defragging shouldn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sportsfan148, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?

I came across an old thread on here and elsewhere on the internet that discussed System Restore usage on an SSD. I am aware that Defragging shouldn't be done on SSD's as it will wear the SSD out a lot faster. I also know that Windows 10 is set up by default to Optimise the SSD but from what Ive read TRIM is used which is OK...until you enable System Restore. There was a discussion on here about this but there were differing opinions. Some said if you enabled System Restore on the SSD that standard Defrag was being used and not TRIM...others said it was TRIM.
    I see that System protection is disabled by default on windows 10.
    Is it OK to use system restore on the SSD drive or not?
    I like to use System restore as a first line of defence in case of problems but I don't want to use it if it Defrags the SSD as it does with standard hard drives and causes excessive wear on the drive. I would be interested to get information or other users opinions on this

:)

sportsfan148, Mar 10, 2019
  2. Argel Obm Win User

System Restore error

The "mstdc.log" file is a transaction log file of Windows operating systems. Since it is a log file, it should not affect the performance of your system. Also, the error that you're getting with that log file is not connected to the System Restore error
    code you're seeing in the Event Viewer. If you want to make sure that System Restore is functioning properly, you can also disable and re-enable it. Please take note that by disabling System Restore, you lose your restore points. To disable and re-enable System
    Restore, follow these steps:

• Access System Restore by searching using Cortana.
    • Click Configure.
    • Choose Disable system protection.
    • Click Apply, and the press OK.
    • Click Configure again.
    • Choose Turn on system protection.
    • Click Apply, and the press OK.
    • Click OK.

If you do not encounter any issues while doing the steps above, it means that System Restore is working properly.

Let us know how it goes.

Argel Obm, Mar 10, 2019
  3. System Restore Error 0x81000203

Good day,

We can see here that you are having issues performing system restore on your computer. Having said that, we need to determine the cause of this problem. Before we proceed, may we know the following:

• Any changes made on the computer prior to this concern?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to perform system restore? If so, can you send us a screenshot?
      Note: Please do not include any personal information.
    • Have you performed all the suggested troubleshooting steps found on this thread?

Desiree Yau, Mar 10, 2019
  4. Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?

PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Mar 10, 2019
Thema:

Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?

1. Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD? - Similar Threads - system restore SSD

2. What is the use of System Restore?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the use of System Restore?: What is the use of system restore? What are the benefits? And is it worth creating a restore point? I read that disabling it may increase the performance of my SSD....
  3. What is the use of System Restore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the use of System Restore?: What is the use of system restore? What are the benefits? And is it worth creating a restore point? I read that disabling it may increase the performance of my SSD....
  4. Problem using System Restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem using System Restore: himy System Restore just keeps on searching drives and i can not make a restore point of C:how can i fix it ?thank you so much[Original Title: System Restore] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-using-system-restore/a8cf5572-0ba5-4cb5-be77-402fa5aa2518
  5. Use System Image restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use System Image restore: I had done a fresh install around middle of May. Kept MS out of it during install. Result was Administrator Account which I later hid, Me as Administrator local, Tester local, and Me with MS account. Setup backups and SR and C as system, D as programs, and E as data. A few...
  6. SSD Storage gone after using a system restore image

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD Storage gone after using a system restore image: Hi guys, Yesterday I reinstalled Windows 10 onto my new 1TB SSD after a few months of not having it. After installing I decided to use my system restore image so i can get all files and apps back. Once that was completed, I noticed that i got a notification saying that...
  7. Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?: I came across an old thread on here and elsewhere on the internet that discussed System Restore usage on an SSD. I am aware that Defragging shouldn't be done on SSD's as it will wear the SSD out a lot faster. I also know that Windows 10 is set up by default to Optimise the...
  8. Restore System using restore point

Restore System using restore point: Hello, Had to use a recent restore point. Started the restore, made a list what will be affected, and it started. After waiting about 25 minutes I got an error notice that restore was not succesful because of anti virus (?). The only antivirus on my system is windows...
  9. System Restore and SSD?

System Restore and SSD?: Hey guys, I recently installed an SSD and I found out while running Samsung's OS Optimization disk that it has turned off System Restore by default. I of course can turn it back on, but I wanted to get feedback on turning on System Restore on an solid state drive....
  10. Part of SSD Corrupted? Still OK to Use?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Part of SSD Corrupted? Still OK to Use?: Hi Windows 10 Forum, I don't know if I'm in the right place, but I have a laptop with a M.2 SSD I bought and I have been troubleshooting it for a few weeks to find out a problem. Now, I have narrowed it down to a small 510MB part of my drive that seems to be completely...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should i enable system restore on a ssd