Windows 10: Is it okay to keep my external SSD plugged into my PC all the time?

Discus and support Is it okay to keep my external SSD plugged into my PC all the time? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I only use my external ssd for storing games. Whenever I try to eject it, it says some other programs are running that are using the device. Even if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Shayaan_0_, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Is it okay to keep my external SSD plugged into my PC all the time?

I only use my external ssd for storing games. Whenever I try to eject it, it says some other programs are running that are using the device. Even if I close those programs, or if I sign out of my PC then immediately eject, it also doesn't work. So I just keep it plugged into my computer at all times. Whenever my PC is awake, it always a blue light on its right, but when I put my PC to sleep, the light on the SSD becomes red and then it turns off. Is that normal? Is it safe to keep my SSD plugged into my PC?

For reference, the SSD is Samsung Portable SSD T5.

Thank you in advance.

:)

Shayaan_0_, Oct 11, 2020

2. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Oct 11, 2020
  3. External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to External SSD showing as HDD when connected to the PC using USB 3.0 port. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Have you tried connecting the SSD to any other PC?
    2. Are you using any converter to connect the SSD through USB 3.0 port?
    3. Are you using a RAID configuration?

I have researched on your query and found that the SSD that you are using is an internal SSD drive, in this case I would suggest you to try updating the Intel Rapid Storage drivers from the

intel website
    and see if that helps.

In addition, this issue can occur if the SSD is connected to a SATA controller that is identified as RAID (SCSI). I would suggest you to try connecting the SSD to a SATA port that uses AHCI controller such as Intel SATA controller/chipset.

Please get back to us with the detailed information to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 11, 2020
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Is it okay to keep my external SSD plugged into my PC all the time?

Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

Thank you for the update.

Looks like your system is unable to detect your external hard drive. Let's see if scanning for new hardware will fix the issue. Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Device Manager and press Enter.
    • Under Device Manager, select Action tab > Scan for hardware changes.
    • Wait for your system to install the generic driver for your device and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you perform the following recommendations below:

• Plug in your external USB drives to other USB device port of your system.
    • Use other USB cables for your external device to connect to your system.

Keep us updated and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, Oct 11, 2020
Thema:

Is it okay to keep my external SSD plugged into my PC all the time?

1. Is it okay to keep my external SSD plugged into my PC all the time? - Similar Threads - okay keep external

2. Can I plug in my old ssd into the SATA of my new pc? Will all my files be there?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I plug in my old ssd into the SATA of my new pc? Will all my files be there?: Recently I just finished building my new pc. I'm planning on activating windows 11 on a seperate drive Internal of the pc. I was wandering if I could plug in my old ssd and hdd into my new pc; will all the files be there? Note, my old ssd has windows 10 installed, so will...
  3. Can I plug in my old ssd into the SATA of my new pc? Will all my files be there?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I plug in my old ssd into the SATA of my new pc? Will all my files be there?: Recently I just finished building my new pc. I'm planning on activating windows 11 on a seperate drive Internal of the pc. I was wandering if I could plug in my old ssd and hdd into my new pc; will all the files be there? Note, my old ssd has windows 10 installed, so will...
  4. My PC keep crashing all the time!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC keep crashing all the time!: Hola, mi PC con windows 11 se crashea todo el tiempoSiempre tengo pantallazos azules con los siguientes codigos de detencion:0x000021aKERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERRORUNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTIONEstos problemas ocurren cuando:1- Intento pasar archivos de un disco a otro2- Descargo...
  5. My PC keep crashing all the time!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC keep crashing all the time!: Hola, mi PC con windows 11 se crashea todo el tiempoSiempre tengo pantallazos azules con los siguientes codigos de detencion:0x000021aKERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERRORUNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTIONEstos problemas ocurren cuando:1- Intento pasar archivos de un disco a otro2- Descargo...
  6. is it okay to leave battery plugged in all time?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is it okay to leave battery plugged in all time?: CAn I leave my laptop always plugged in? Is it okay for the laptop and battery? submitted by /u/itsme_shibintmz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gdchr9/is_it_okay_to_leave_battery_plugged_in_all_time/
  7. Is it safe to keep my surface laptop 3 plugged in all the time?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it safe to keep my surface laptop 3 plugged in all the time?: Hello, I recently just bought the surface laptop 3. I want to maximize my battery power and I was wondering if it's safe to keep the laptop plugged in all the time?...
  8. My laptop keeps freezing all the time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop keeps freezing all the time: So I have this problem for few months already, it just randomly freezes, when I am on Chrome (or any other program, games or something like that) and get back to the Desktop i can´t click anything, I need to start my task manager and then I can click again. Does someone have...
  9. my external SSD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my external SSD.: i have an alienware 15r2 laptop and i am using an SSD in the usb 3.0 slot. when i put my computer to sleep last night it stopped reading the drive and ive done everything i possibly can to try and get the computer to read it. i have been completely unsuccessful with multiple...
  10. My Wifi keeps dropping all the time.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Wifi keeps dropping all the time.: I've been having this problem for a long time, but recently it became much more of a problem. Basicaly, Windows says that Wifi is connected and working properly, but apparently it doesn't. So as you can imagine, gaming and basicaly everything is a pain in the ass. I tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. keep ssd plugged