Windows 10: Is it okay to permanently run windows with the base Administrator account?

Discus and support Is it okay to permanently run windows with the base Administrator account? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am absolutely sick of the issue around having admin rights to do basic things on my own computer, for which IT SAYS I AM ADMIN.I have followed advice... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by StuartAitken, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Is it okay to permanently run windows with the base Administrator account?

I am absolutely sick of the issue around having admin rights to do basic things on my own computer, for which IT SAYS I AM ADMIN.I have followed advice telling me how to run as the real Administrator of the machine, which I am now doing.Since my own account says I am the admin BUT IS NOT WORKING AS ADMIN, I have deleted that account and will simply continue to use my machine under this base Administrator account.I want to know if this will cause any problems in future.Thanks. And F**K Microsoft for their absolute failure to implement an intuitive and easy user accounts system.

:)

StuartAitken, Sep 4, 2021
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Is it okay to permanently run windows with the base Administrator account? :(

Zakin, Sep 4, 2021
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Sep 4, 2021
  4. Is it okay to permanently run windows with the base Administrator account?

Permanent account to local account

Hello,

If you are logged in into a temporary profile, I suggest you to reboot the PC and check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 1: Enable built-in administrator account.

• Open Elevated command prompt by entering
      Safe mode with Command prompt. To go to safe mode, use the power button on the sign-in screen and press
      Shift + Restart. This will take you to the recovery boot menu. Click
      Troubleshoot> Advanced options> Startup settings.
      You then see a list where you can choose Safe Mode with Command prompt.

• Type the following command: net user administrator /active:yes

• Login into the built in administrator user profile and create a new user profile with administrator privileges.

• Delete the corrupted user account from the built in administrator.

• Then lock your screen by pressing Windows key + L, and sign-in at the
      Administrator account.

• Check if the issue persist and you can disable built in administrator account by typing the command:
      net user administrator /active:no
      in the Command prompt (Admin).

Step 2: To create a new user account
    follow the steps below:

• Open Elevated command prompt by right clicking on the
      Start icon and select Command prompt (Admin).

• Type net user NewAccount password /add
      and click Enter.

• Type net localgroup Administrators NewAccount /add and click
      Enter.

• Log off from the system and login to the new user account.
    You can also refer to the Set up accounts on
    Windows 10.

Write back to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Sep 4, 2021
Thema:

Is it okay to permanently run windows with the base Administrator account?

1. Is it okay to permanently run windows with the base Administrator account? - Similar Threads - okay permanently run

2. Windows 11 won't allow run as administrator option on my administrator account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 won't allow run as administrator option on my administrator account: I'm logged in as an administrator and run as administrator is greyed out when trying to use compatibility options.Nitro 5 an517-54 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-wont-allow-run-as-administrator-option/1a790dd1-e996-45eb-a039-ac18035ed7e0
  3. Windows 11 won't allow run as administrator option on my administrator account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 won't allow run as administrator option on my administrator account: I'm logged in as an administrator and run as administrator is greyed out when trying to use compatibility options.Nitro 5 an517-54 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-wont-allow-run-as-administrator-option/1a790dd1-e996-45eb-a039-ac18035ed7e0
  4. Is it okay to uninstall vulkan run time libraries

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it okay to uninstall vulkan run time libraries: I am having low end laptop so i started uninstalling unwanted application. Is it okay to uninstall vulkan run time libraries ?.....Anyone tell me please....
  5. Is it okay to uninstall vulkan run time libraries

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it okay to uninstall vulkan run time libraries: I am having low end laptop so i started uninstalling unwanted application. Is it okay to uninstall vulkan run time libraries ?.....Anyone tell me please....
  6. run as administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    run as administrator: How can I log in as administrator? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/run-as-administrator/646a029d-39ea-4540-9ce7-5da26d6fd2d4
  7. Run-as-administrator doesn't cause browser to run under administrator account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Run-as-administrator doesn't cause browser to run under administrator account: I am logged into a non-administrator account. In my Start Menu, Firefox shows up under "Most used". If I right-click it and choose to run it as administrator, I am unable to use it to download files to an administrator folder. The Task Manager's Details tab shows that it...
  8. Unable to "Run As Administrator" on an Admin account.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to "Run As Administrator" on an Admin account.: Hi everyone, Unable to "Run As Administrator" on anAdmin account. Is this a feature that is disabled with the Windows Insider preview releases? If so, is there a tweak like a registry key that will reenable this please? I'm not really wanting to go back to theslow...
  9. Windows activation error, was running okay for a year

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation error, was running okay for a year: The device in question is an ex corporate laptop with the Windows 10 Enterprise installed on it. After the laptop got decommissioned. The device had all the lifetime activation of the said OS. But after a while I got a notification saying that Windows failed to activate I got...
  10. Okay to rename user accounts?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Okay to rename user accounts?: I have just deployed a customised Windows 10 Pro x64 1607 image with six user accounts pre done as part of the SysPrep. I'd like to use this to reinstall on my sister's PC, too. She only needs four users, but they aren't included in my six (different family). As there's...