Windows 10: Is it possible to associate a program to a specific filename?

Discus and support Is it possible to associate a program to a specific filename? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Is it possible to associate a program to a specific file name so that double clicking the file will open it in the associated program? I would like to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Calab, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Calab Win User

Is it possible to associate a program to a specific filename?

Is it possible to associate a program to a specific file name so that double clicking the file will open it in the associated program?

I would like to be able to open "DOCKERFILE" in Visual Studio Code when double clicked. Since this file has no extension I don't see any way to associate it to VS Code.

Is there a method to associate the filename "DOCKERFILE" to VS Code?

:)

Calab, Jan 20, 2021

2. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jan 20, 2021
  3. How to stop Internet Explorer from associating a file type with a specific program

How to stop Internet Explorer from associating a file type with a specific program? IE keeps associating itself with Adobe PDF documents even when I have done this a hundred times:

• Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button

Is it possible to associate a program to a specific filename? 11899_en-us_8.jpg

and then clicking Default Programs.
    • Click Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Click the file type or protocol that you want the program to act as the default for.
    • Click Change program.
    • Click the program that you want to use as the default for the file type you selected,
    I have full blown Adobe program and if I can't find a way to stop this I will just uninstall IE and Edge. Chrome doesn't do this. Really frustrated with this.

James

James Canady, Jan 20, 2021
  4. Isha Soni Win User

Printing Hallmark cards I get this message: There is no email program associated to perform requested action"

Hi,

We appreciate you answering the questions, question are being asked to understand the issue better.

• Are you trying to print the Hallmark cards through any application like Outlook or word?
    • What is the make and model of your printer?
    • Is this the complete error message?

Step 1: I suggest you to follow the below steps how to set as default app.

• In the search box, type “settings”.
    • Click on “system” and on the left hand corner click on
      “default apps”.
    • Under “choose default apps” click on the “+” symbol and you can
      add the apps.

Step 2: I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if the issue persists:

• Press Windows key +R.

• Type inetcpl.cpl and hit Enter.

• Click on Programs Tab and click
      Set Programs
      under Internet Programs.

• Click on Select Associate a File type or protocol with a program.
    Please post back with the results and the information asked, We will be glad to assist you further.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Jan 20, 2021
Thema:

1. Is it possible to associate a program to a specific filename? - Similar Threads - possible associate program

2. Is it possible to disable the user account control with specific programs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to disable the user account control with specific programs?: I don't want to disable it altogether but I have a frequently used program that gets stopped every time. Can I somehow set it to ignore certain programs?...
  3. Is it possible to disable the user account control with specific programs?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to disable the user account control with specific programs?: I don't want to disable it altogether but I have a frequently used program that gets stopped every time. Can I somehow set it to ignore certain programs?...
  4. Is it possible to control a specific program with the Volume Keys on the Keyboard?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to control a specific program with the Volume Keys on the Keyboard?: I want to raise and lower the Sound of the Groove-Musik App with the Volume Keys, but not the Master volume. submitted by /u/LoganOfDoom [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m822pt/is_it_possible_to_control_a_specific_program_with/
  5. Is it possible to make only specific file open with a different program?

Is it possible to make only specific file open with a different program?: Hello I am using Autohotkey language(or whatevcer that is) for one script I've written the script in notepad and then in properties changed the default program that launches the file to Autohotkey, unsurprisingly all notepad files now try to open with this...
  6. How to clear all file associations for a specific program on W10???

How to clear all file associations for a specific program on W10???: [ATTACH] How to clear all file associations for a specific program on W10??? I have the same problem as this person but can’t find an answer.. https://superuser.com/questions/1436109/how-to-clear-all-file-associations-for-a-specific-program-on-windows-10 Here is a pic...
  7. Is there a way for me to hide filenames in specific folders?

Is there a way for me to hide filenames in specific folders?: [ATTACH] I have my music folder set up like this (Some folder icons aren't updated because the free trial of my icon editing tool ran out.) and I think it would look better if the folder names weren't there. Is there any way to do this? I would also like to do this for...
  8. Associate a Program

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Associate a Program: I have Ashampoo Burning Studio. When I had this program in my Win 7 O/S, I would insert the blank disk and I would get a menu asking which program I would like to use. when I installed Windows 10, I no longer get the menu. Instead I get a Message stating - "This file...
  9. Is it possible to start a specific program when headphones are plugged in?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible to start a specific program when headphones are plugged in?: I'm wondering if it possible to start a specific program when headphones are plugged into the 3.5mm headphone jack for a Windows 10 machine? I have three kiosks that are using a Storm ATP Audio Nav interface for accessibility. I'm trying to figure out ifNVAccess' NVDA...
  10. Removing Specific Letters From Multiple Filenames

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing Specific Letters From Multiple Filenames: I have about 1,600 PDF files that I am working with. They all have specific individual file names. I am trying to organize them by only a portion of the file name. In order to do this, I need to delete or get rid of the first three characters of the file name and keep the...