Windows 10: Is it possible to boot Windows from an external hard disk?

Discus and support Is it possible to boot Windows from an external hard disk? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My buddy recently bought a new PC and needs help installing Windows. Since my 8gb USB stick is broken, I can't use it anymore. Is it also possible with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Philipp497, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Is it possible to boot Windows from an external hard disk?

My buddy recently bought a new PC and needs help installing Windows. Since my 8gb USB stick is broken, I can't use it anymore. Is it also possible with an external hard drive?
    And is it enough to use the free tool from Microsoft?

:)

Philipp497, Jun 27, 2020

2. Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Jun 27, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jun 27, 2020
  4. Is it possible to boot Windows from an external hard disk?

Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

http://support.lenovo.com/in/hi/

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

Is it possible to boot Windows from an external hard disk?

1. Is it possible to boot Windows from an external hard disk? - Similar Threads - possible boot external

2. External hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard disk: Hello everyoneI'm just looking for an advice here if someone could give me a definitive answer to a question that has been bugging me for a while.I've recently bought a new external hard drive, an upgrade for my old one in terms of size and speed, the thing is by chance I've...
  3. BIOS can’t detect external hard disk to boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BIOS can’t detect external hard disk to boot: I’m having an Acer BIOS and I want to change the boot order. An external HDD is connected to the laptop via Micro-b to USB-A cable. However, the HDD doesn’t show up at the boot option. The HDD is formatted with NTFS and I tried disabling secure boot but it doesn’t help....
  4. Move file from hard disk to external

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move file from hard disk to external: If I move a file from my laptop to an external drive will I be able to recover the file later on my laptop, same as for example a deleted file with a program like Recuva....
  5. Move file from hard disk to external

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move file from hard disk to external: If I move a file from my laptop to an external drive will I be able to recover the file later on my laptop, same as for example a deleted file with a program like Recuva....
  6. Move file from hard disk to external

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Is it possible to install windows onto a partition of an external hard disk.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to install windows onto a partition of an external hard disk.: The software I use(Win to USB), gives me the option to select the whole drive (I have files on the other partitions) for formatting the disk, it does not give an option to select individual partitions. So my question is do I need the whole disk or is it possible to install...
  8. Booting Windows 10 from external hard disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting Windows 10 from external hard disk: Greetings. I have a laptop (Predator Helios 300) with Windows 10 (Home, upgraded to Pro with Win7 key) installation that I like to keep clean. From time to time I will have to find a new piece of software for certain task. Normally I would start by trying out programs from...
  9. Run Windows 10 from an external disk - is it possible?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Run Windows 10 from an external disk - is it possible?: Today I bought a desktop from a family member and I just realized that has a 2TB HDD. My intention would be to buy an external SSD, install Windows, connect it via USB and boot from it. The HDD disk would remain as a secondary. Is this possible? submitted by...
  10. external hard disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard disk: external hard disk is not displaying n even not located also https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-disk/62353490-2070-486b-a356-a179ff281d28