Windows 10: Is it possible to disable windows to reuse the key on a new PC?

Discus and support Is it possible to disable windows to reuse the key on a new PC? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey guys, My current machine is running Windows 10 Pro. I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro, using a windows 8.1 pro key if that matters. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Firearm2112, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Is it possible to disable windows to reuse the key on a new PC?

Hey guys,

My current machine is running Windows 10 Pro. I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro, using a windows 8.1 pro key if that matters.

My situation is that I ordered a new computer, and would like to deactivate my current one and use my current key on the new computer.

Is this possible? How would I go about doing this?

Thank you!!*Smile

:)

Firearm2112, Sep 3, 2015

2. Is it possible to disable the horrible new windows 10 desktop?

Ever since a few updates ago, whenever I start up my laptop it goes to this horrible Windows 8-style scree with tiles and apps instead of my regular desktop. Is there a way to set my laptop to exclusively use the standard desktop? Or am I trapped in this
    god-awful hell of useless apps and unintuitive menus? Pressing the windows button does nothing. Pressing on the "Back" icon does nothing. It's seemingly impossible for me to use the regular desktop as this tablet-style screen seems to be the base from which
    all my other actions spring. Please help. I just want my computer to be usable again without stupid apps getting in the way.

WaffleCondom, Sep 3, 2015
  3. Is it possible to disable the horrible new windows 10 desktop?

It sounds like your machine has gone into Tablet Mode for one reason or another.

Click on Notifications and then on Tablet Mode. That should fix it.

Gordon B-P, Sep 3, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

Is it possible to disable windows to reuse the key on a new PC?

There is no explicit deactivation.

You are supposed to remove Windows from the old PC, and install it on the new one.

As you're using the free Windows 10 upgrade, you'd have to install and activate a qualifying OS on the new PC, and then upgrade to 10.

If the activation servers don't like it any time along the way, you'd have to activate by phone.

bobkn, Sep 3, 2015
  5. No, I don't think so. New computers were intended to come with (or sold separately) Windows 10. Otherwise you would just transfer licenses indefinitely to different computers and never buy Windows again.

DustSailor, Sep 3, 2015
  6. Mc Ruff Win User
    Mc Ruff, Sep 3, 2015
  7. WhyMe Win User
    The correct answer is that it depends on which version of Win8.1 Pro you used for the Win10 upgrade.

• If your Win8.1 Pro license is a retail version then you can transfer over to a new machine
    • If your Win8.1 Pro license is an oem version then you cannot transfer it to another machine. You would be required to purchase a new Win10 license to use on your new device.

WhyMe, Sep 3, 2015
  8. tinmar49 Win User

If you have ordered a new pc, I assume that it is not built by you, and that it doesn't have any os installed. Only a full retail copy of W7 or 8.1 stands a chance of transferring , and the W10 upgrade would have to be downgraded to the original Windows on the retiring pc first.

tinmar49, Sep 3, 2015
  9. genet Win User
    Yes.

How to transfer Windows 8/8.1 license to new computer. -> link

And then update to Windows 10.

genet, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it possible to disable windows to reuse the key on a new PC? - Similar Threads - possible disable reuse

2. Reuse Windows key on new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reuse Windows key on new laptop: Hello,I got a new laptop and want to transfer my win 11 pro license from my old laptop to my new one. On my old laptop is says that I'm using a digital license key, which is linked to my MS account. I already tried to use the commands:slmgr /upkslmgr /cpkyThe first one just...
  3. Reuse Windows key on new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reuse Windows key on new laptop: Hello,I got a new laptop and want to transfer my win 11 pro license from my old laptop to my new one. On my old laptop is says that I'm using a digital license key, which is linked to my MS account. I already tried to use the commands:slmgr /upkslmgr /cpkyThe first one just...
  4. Windows key reuse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows key reuse: hello, I bought a laptop lenovo y530 with windows. and I plan to reinstall Windows through Microsoft, can I use the same key for activation? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-key-reuse/75cc892c-42fe-4259-afb3-e241b460502d
  5. Windows key reuse

Windows key reuse: hello, I bought a laptop lenovo y530 with windows. and I plan to reinstall Windows through Microsoft, can I use the same key for activation? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-key-reuse/75cc892c-42fe-4259-afb3-e241b460502d
  6. Reuse key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reuse key: Good evening morning night or whatever.I want to upgrade my old vista PC to windows 10 but as a fresh install and I am wondering if I will be able to reuse my vista ultimate key retail box copy....
  7. Reuse Windows product key on new installation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reuse Windows product key on new installation: I had purchased Windows 10 Pro product key and used it on my Dell PC. The hardware on this PC failed, and so am not able to deactivate the key. I purchased a new Dell PC and want to use the old key on the new machine. How do I use the key on the new machine? Note: I did...
  8. Reuse Windows product key on new installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reuse Windows product key on new installation: I had purchased Windows 10 Pro product key and used it on my Dell PC. The hardware on this PC failed, and so am not able to deactivate the key. I purchased a new Dell PC and want to use the old key on the new machine. How do I use the key on the new machine? Note: I did...
  9. Reuse Windows product key on new installation

10. New PC: Can I reuse Windows Key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New PC: Can I reuse Windows Key?: I want to buy a new PC. Can I log out on my old device and enter the key on my new PC? Or do I have to buy a new key? Thanks Neuer PC: Kann man Windows Key wiederverwenden?

Users found this page by searching for:

1. REUSE WINDOWS 10 TO A NEW DEVICE IF I SCRAPPED THE OLD DEVICE