Windows 10: is it possible to have two different nvidia cards in a computer?

Discus and support is it possible to have two different nvidia cards in a computer? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi, my laptop has 2 nvidia 765m graphic cards, by the look of it one of them is not working properly, now i bought a geforce 980m to replace it with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by injaneb, Dec 13, 2016.

1. injaneb Win User

is it possible to have two different nvidia cards in a computer?

Hi,
    my laptop has 2 nvidia 765m graphic cards, by the look of it one of them is not working properly, now i bought a geforce 980m to replace it with the dead card. my question is, is it possible to have two different models of nvidia graphic cards on the main board?
    can SLI them?
    if not is there going to be any problems?

:)

injaneb, Dec 13, 2016
  2. scarcar Win User

Is it possible to have two "textable" numbers for a single contact?

A bit odd how it shows up when you link the two contacts, but it definitely worked. Thanks!

scarcar, Dec 13, 2016
  3. scarcar Win User
    Is it possible to have two "textable" numbers for a single contact?

I need to be able to text a personal and work number for a contact. I tried to do this, but it appears that the only number that you can send a text message to is "mobile" and you can't have two of them (you can only replace the current one). I guess I
    could just create another contact for the work number, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the people hub.

This just seems like a huge hole. There are tons of people who have a personal cell and a blackberry for work.

Any suggestions?

scarcar, Dec 13, 2016
  4. kipper Win User

You will need two identical Nvidia-based cards that support SLI,...... SLI cards of the same model, for example, a 2GB GTX 960 will only SLI with another 2GB GTX 960.

You should be fine with removing both the 765 cards and just using the 980.....

You used to be able to mix up AMD cards with Crossfire setups but that may have changed with all the latest generations of cards available....

kipper, Dec 13, 2016
  5. bobkn Win User
    You have a laptop with MXM (mobile PCI-E module) cards? Unusual.

I presume that they were intended to run only in SLI, unlike in a desktop system, where you could use two cards separately.

As in post #2, you can't use two different types of GPU in SLI.

bobkn, Dec 14, 2016
  6. injaneb Win User
    ok thanks for the answers. so I can not run it in SLI mode. is there going to be any problems if i don't use SLI?
    what i meant is using the 765m for physics and 980m for heavy graphic processing?

is it possible to have two different nvidia cards in a computer? [​IMG]

i cannot run in sli mode now because of the semi dead graphic card. but they can run separately. is it possible to have this configuration with 980m and 765m ?
    @bobken:
    yes alienware laptops (most of them) are using these slots so you can upgrade it in future:
    this is the 980m card :

is it possible to have two different nvidia cards in a computer? [​IMG]

injaneb, Dec 14, 2016
  7. batlhilz Win User
    remember to use correct drivers when you change / upgrade. as far as i know, reference drivers wont work? let me know how it goes

batlhilz, Dec 14, 2016
  8. injaneb Win User

hi,
    I have installed 980m on my laptop and i have to say it was a nightmare.
    there are two things that you have to keep in mind upgrading these kind of laptops,
    if your going to use a single graphic card instead of two graphic cards you have to put the card on the slot near the media outputs(hdmi, display port, ....) or it will not work.
    2nd thing is you cannot install two different cards not even if you are not using them as sli. in my laptop it will only use the one that is closer to the media outputs

injaneb, Dec 18, 2016
  9. I tend to agree - the single 980*should outpace the two 765's..

BugMeister, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. is it possible to have two different nvidia cards in a computer? - Similar Threads - possible different nvidia

2. Is it possible to have different desktops on different computers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to have different desktops on different computers?: I have one desktop that I use for games and heavier programs like fusion 360 as well as a laptop used for tuning my car and school. They both are signed into the same windows account and would like them to have different desktops. When I make a change on my laptop like...
  3. Is it possible to have different desktops on different computers?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to have different desktops on different computers?: I have one desktop that I use for games and heavier programs like fusion 360 as well as a laptop used for tuning my car and school. They both are signed into the same windows account and would like them to have different desktops. When I make a change on my laptop like...
  4. Is it possible to have different desktops on different computers?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Is it possible to have nVIDIA Optimus in a desktop?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Is it possible to have nVIDIA Optimus in a desktop?: Hi, I have an msi Z390 motherboard and an i5-9600K, with the integrated iGPU Intel UHD 630. I am going to buy a GTX 2060, but it consumes way more power than the Intel iGPU, even for idling/browsing. I've had notebooks in the past and there was this thing called "nVIDIA...
  6. Is it possible to use two Bluetooth cards at once?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to use two Bluetooth cards at once?: I have been having some interference issues between my wireless headset and a wireless controller. I have a spare wireless card laying around, would I be able to put it in my PC and connect one device to one of the cards, and the other device to the other one? submitted by...
  7. Use for two different Graphics cards?

Use for two different Graphics cards?: I've sent my 2080ti out for repair so in the mean time I bought an RX580 to get me by. If or When the 2080 comes back is there any reason to keep the 580 installed? I'm running 2 32" TV's and a 55"4K UHD as my main display. 1360x768 - 3840x2160 - 1360x768 Could I run the...
  8. Two computers have different files on OneDrive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two computers have different files on OneDrive.: Awhile ago, I found had both SkyDrive and OneDrive storage locations on my computer. The SkyDrive contained files from Windows 8.1, and the OneDrive had files stored since I installed Windows 10. So I moved the files from SkyDrive to OneDrive I think and deleted the...
  9. Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card): Hello, I have had Windows 10 pretty much since official release- and it's great! One problem however; it seems to crash every now and then. By crash, I mean the computer freezes up (No BSOD) and I can't move mouse nor turn num-lock off... The only option is to force shut...
  10. EVGA PrecisionX with two NVIDIA cards, overclocking?

EVGA PrecisionX with two NVIDIA cards, overclocking?: I have two EVGA SSC GTX 960 2GB GDDR5 - ACX2.0+ graphics cards. I made a mistake on getting only 2GB of VRAM. Play many games on 4K High-Maximum settings, and others down to 1080p with graphics on medium. I want to know what I can do with EVGA's PrecisionX to push my...