Windows 10: Is it possible to lock your laptop's f keys to act like normal f keys for Windows instead...

Discus and support Is it possible to lock your laptop's f keys to act like normal f keys for Windows instead... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; On many desktop keyboard you dont have these functions as instead only have the windows standard for the features alt + f4 and so on without having to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Gulle_Gaming, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Is it possible to lock your laptop's f keys to act like normal f keys for Windows instead...

On many desktop keyboard you dont have these functions as instead only have the windows standard for the features alt + f4 and so on without having to press FN to switch the functions. I'd like to be able to lock this onto my laptop so that the normal windows controls are applied instead of the laptops own features. I still want to be able to use the laptop features using fn+f keys but I want the default to be windows features. Is there a way to do this?

submitted by /u/Gulle_Gaming
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Gulle_Gaming, Aug 15, 2020
  2. Zoggles Win User

Shortuct keys, F-Lock, and F keys not working

I have a new Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000, and am running Windows 10 (64-bit) on a new PC, but none of the 'special keys' work, and neither do any of the function keys or F-Lock.

It's as if it is not being correctly recognised even though it correctly shows up in Device Manager (and according to 'update driver' is on the latest version)

NumPad/NumLock work fine. ScrollLock, Capslock, ESC and the rest of the keyboard has no problem.

But the keys not working includes:

All the special shortcut keys: Web/Home, Search, Mail, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Mute, Volume -/+, Play/Pause, Calculator, My Favourites, Back, Forward, and the Zoom Control.

F Keys and the F-Lock key.

and, (above the num pad), the '=', '(', and ')' keys. (although the second smaller '<-' backspace key next to them is fine)

I have Mouse and Keyboard Center 64bit 2.8.106

Device Manager lists: HID Keyboard Device (driver version 10.0.10586.0) and Microsoft USB Natural Ergonomic 4000 (driver version 9.7.132.0)

I have tried different USB ports, I have tried the Windows troubleshooter for Hardware and Devices to no avail.

Mouse Keys/Sticky Keys/Toggle Keys/Filter Keys in Ease of Access are all turned off.

Human Interface Device Service in Services.msc is set to Automatic.

I'm really not bothered about the 'shortcut' keys - I've been using the MS Natural Ergonomic keyboards on various computers and OS's for years and never bothered with those keys (except occasionally for the handy volume keys) but not being able to use F
    keys is really inconvenient to say the least!

Am I missing something somewhere in the Win10 Settings? I never had any problems like this on XP or previous systems.

Zoggles, Aug 15, 2020
  3. Zoggles Win User
    Shortuct keys, F-Lock, and F keys not working

I don't have anything like that, and none of the windows 10 settings pages I have, has anything to do with a Function Key Mode (not that I have an Fn key, only the F-Lock on the Ergonomic 4000).

Also, this is a desktop.. not a laptop.

Is it possible to lock your laptop's f keys to act like normal f keys for Windows instead... a2d91298-8c11-4993-bba8-6b7bbac543aa.png

Zoggles, Aug 15, 2020
  4. Ajaaw Win User

Is it possible to lock your laptop's f keys to act like normal f keys for Windows instead...

"F" Keys

My keyboard doesn't have an "F-Lock" key, and whenever I press one of the F keys it always does the other function, example the volume up, down, and mute buttons are F1, F2, and F3, so I have to hold down the FN key to activate the F Keys. I want to know
    if there's a toggle for it in settings, or a keyboard shortcut to disable the other functions like volume and screen brightness.

Info

OS Build: 16299.726

HP Pavilion 590-p0050 Desktop Computer

Running Windows 10, 64bit

Ajaaw, Aug 15, 2020
Thema:

Is it possible to lock your laptop's f keys to act like normal f keys for Windows instead...

1. Is it possible to lock your laptop's f keys to act like normal f keys for Windows instead... - Similar Threads - possible lock laptop's

2. the F keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the F keys: I have a hp windows 11 laptop i play minecraft but the F keys don't work in the game and they work on the laptop itself this is an annoying problem please can someone tell me how to fix this problem...
  3. the F keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the F keys: I have a hp windows 11 laptop i play minecraft but the F keys don't work in the game and they work on the laptop itself this is an annoying problem please can someone tell me how to fix this problem...
  4. Fn Lock and external keyboard function keys F-keys acting as multimedia keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fn Lock and external keyboard function keys F-keys acting as multimedia keys: Hi there,So I seem to have this problem with my external keyboard.The 'Fn lock' is enabled on my laptop, but still the F-keys on my external keyboard act as if it were off act as multimedia keys. When I turn off 'Fn lock' on my laptop, the F-keys on my external keyboard still...
  5. Fn Lock and external keyboard function keys F-keys acting as multimedia keys

Fn Lock and external keyboard function keys F-keys acting as multimedia keys: Hi there,So I seem to have this problem with my external keyboard.The 'Fn lock' is enabled on my laptop, but still the F-keys on my external keyboard act as if it were off act as multimedia keys. When I turn off 'Fn lock' on my laptop, the F-keys on my external keyboard still...
  6. THE F KEYS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    THE F KEYS: whenever I try to use F2,F3,F7 and F8 keys to increase or decrease the brightness and sounds, my laptop lags but when I try use the taskbar to increase the sound and brightness it doesn't happens. So, I think the four keys are having problem and it's very difficult for me...
  7. THE F KEYS

THE F KEYS: whenever I try to use F2,F3,F7 and F8 keys to increase or decrease the brightness and sounds, my laptop lags but when I try use the taskbar to increase the sound and brightness it doesn't happens. So, I think the four keys are having problem and it's very difficult for me...
  8. F Keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    F Keys: Hello, I have had this laptop for a few weeks now and no problems have occured. However, after I played a game Subnaudica on Steam, I discovered that all my F keys had been flipped. Before, I just pushed F1-F3 to change volume. Now, I have to hold the fn key. What did I do...
  9. F keys

F keys: My function keays double as volume changing keys and brightness keys etc. how can I lock the function use setting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/f-keys/9be42aae-3b06-46b4-acf2-035b821280c8
  10. F keys

F keys: Good morning How do I activate the F keys on Windows 10? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/f-keys/fd0b57a4-0337-40da-b5cb-1b7abc4cc12c