Windows 10: Is it possible to move a SSD with windows 10 to a new computer?

Discus and support Is it possible to move a SSD with windows 10 to a new computer? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a bit of an oddball question, and am sorry for being a bother. I couldn't think of a proper question in the title that fit. I have two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RavynOwen, May 18, 2020.

1. RavynOwen Win User

Is it possible to move a SSD with windows 10 to a new computer?

I have a bit of an oddball question, and am sorry for being a bother. I couldn't think of a proper question in the title that fit.

I have two computers at the moment, the newer one with a problem I am attempting to narrow down. But my second computer is incomplete. I want to be able to move my current install of windows 10 version 1909 to my second computer without having to reinstall my current install. My new computer has a freezing problem, but I can not duplicate it, and it happens very sporadically, and I can not pin point the problem. It happens once every couple of days, and I suspect it's either a motherboard or the CPU giving me grieve. But it is difficult to find it because it takes days to recreate the effect. So my plan is to install my new CPU into my old mobo and old CPU into my new mobo and see if the problem persists.

Both computers have their own windows 10 pro OEM license, so my question is this. Can I move my OS SSD with windows 10 installed to and from each computer? I believe I can uninstall the license using a elevated command prompt, but I am unsure if I can do that and them move the SSD over. Would this work? Would the second pc reactivate with the proper key? Afraid I have been spoiled with windows 10 activations being more automated, and lost the key to the older pc in question. Thank you in advance.

Windows 10 ver 1909

:)

RavynOwen, May 18, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 18, 2020
  3. Convert from HD to SSD and install to new computer

Hi Microsoft,

I have windows 10 pro and Microsoft office 365 installed at old computer.

I planed to convert The HD to SSD and than The SSD will install to new computer.

What must step/procedure be followed to successfully the installation at new computer?

Thank you.

AriefSulistyawan, May 18, 2020
  4. Is it possible to move a SSD with windows 10 to a new computer?

Windows 10 Upgrade - New SSD

I had the same question and got a great answer. Hope this helps!

Here is 10 steps to Windows 10 (from windows 7 home pro)

1. Go to Download Windows 10

2. Scroll down and click "download tool now"

3. Open and follow prompt and put installer as an ISO or put on USB drive

4. go to Computer Properties and Write down your Microsoft Product Code BEFORE MOVING ON TO STEP 5!

5. Install new SSD

6. Start PC and boot from new windows 10 USB or DVD

7. Install windows 10 on new SSD

8. Activate your new windows 10 with your Microsoft product code

9. Copy over old files from old SSD

10. Enjoy Windows 10!

AlexFrostdaPimp, May 18, 2020
Thema:

Is it possible to move a SSD with windows 10 to a new computer?

1. Is it possible to move a SSD with windows 10 to a new computer? - Similar Threads - possible move SSD

2. Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD: My C: drive is a 500GB SSD with Windows 10 and several other programs and games, including FSX Steam and tons of 3rd party airplanes, airports and scenery. It is getting full. I want to buy a new SSD to hold only Windows 10 leaving all the other programs and games on the...
  3. Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD: My C: drive is a 500GB SSD with Windows 10 and several other programs and games, including FSX Steam and tons of 3rd party airplanes, airports and scenery. It is getting full. I want to buy a new SSD to hold only Windows 10 leaving all the other programs and games on the...
  4. Move 1tb SSD to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move 1tb SSD to new computer: I have a 2011 Dell Lattitude E6520. now 10 years old A year ago, I cloned the hard drive, and installed a Samsung 1TB SSD in it. The OS is windows 10 professional 64bit. Everything works fine. I have microsoft 365 installed on it, and Microsoft Office 2010. I use outlook...
  5. Moving windows 10 to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving windows 10 to new SSD: Hello! I recently bought a new Samsung 1 TB SSD for my computer, mainly for more storage but also for a faster boot up. I want to move my OS, windows 10, from my current 500GB SSD to my new 1TB SSD. I still have the orginal Windows 10 USB Flash AND the key code provided to me...
  6. Moving windows 10 to new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving windows 10 to new SSD: Hello! I recently bought a new Samsung 1 TB SSD for my computer, mainly for more storage but also for a faster boot up. I want to move my OS, windows 10, from my current 500GB SSD to my new 1TB SSD. I still have the orginal Windows 10 USB Flash AND the key code provided to me...
  7. Moving SSD to new computer.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving SSD to new computer.: I'am going to be upgrading my pc soon and want to use my current ssd in my computer. I'am going to use the "reset this pc" setting to get rid of all my files, apps, games, etc. I want to start a fresh wipe of windows on my new pc. What i want to know is can I do the windows...
  8. Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Customization
    Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD: Hello. Yesterday I purchased a brand new Samsung M.2 SSD, after installing and formatting it, I realized that I needed to move my install of Windows10 to it. I was looking for answers on here and the only post I could find with the same topic was one from 2017....
  9. Moving Windows 10 from a hdd to ssd on a new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Windows 10 from a hdd to ssd on a new computer: My friend has just bought a brand new computer and has had me install a 2TB ssd to replace the 2TB hdd which was originally installed in the computer. I want to migrate the Windows 10 OS to the new ssd and remove the hdd after this has been done. Can I just copy the files or...
  10. Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD: So I am looking to upgrade a vast majority of the parts in my computer, GPU, CPU, motherboard etc. It will basically be a new system with the exception to the HDD I will still be using alongside a new SSD. When reading up on how to transfer my copy of Windows 10 to my new SDD...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. migrate windows 10 to a ssd