Windows 10: Is it possible to move my current Windows 10 boot disk to a newly built computer and have...

Discus and support Is it possible to move my current Windows 10 boot disk to a newly built computer and have... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My current hardware is getting old and will not run Windows 11.I want to build a new faster system that is Windows 11 capable, and move my system boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RickLBateman, Jul 10, 2024.

1. Is it possible to move my current Windows 10 boot disk to a newly built computer and have...

My current hardware is getting old and will not run Windows 11.I want to build a new faster system that is Windows 11 capable, and move my system boot disk to the new hardware.I used to do this by starting an install on the existing hardware, then powering off and moving the hard drive on the first reboot.Is there an easier way?

:)

RickLBateman, Jul 10, 2024
  2. Macbeth Win User
    Macbeth, Jul 10, 2024
  3. CountMike Win User
    CountMike, Jul 10, 2024
  4. Peer_Sam Win User

Is it possible to move my current Windows 10 boot disk to a newly built computer and have...

Windows 10 installation. Error: Windows Cannot Be Installed to This Disk. This Computer's Hardware May not Support Booting to This Disk".

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest to try with the below mentioned steps

If you have more than one hard drive connected to your computer, remove the additional hard drives and keep only the primary one.

If it does not work, back up your data, delete all the existing partitions and let installer create the new partitions.

I also suggest to try with changing the hard drive mode in BIOS.

If it is set to IDE, change it to
    AHCI, if the current mode is AHCI, change it to
    IDE.

Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If none of these suggestions work, boot the computer to Windows Recovery environment using the installation media.

1. Choose Repair your computer on the initial Windows setup screen.
    2. Go to Troubleshoot->Advanced options->Command prompt and execute the following commands one by one.
    3. Diskpart
    4. List Disk
    5. Select disk disk 0 (Note: remove all additional disks).
    6. Create partition primary.
    7. Exit.
    Reboot the computer and see if you can proceed with installation.

If you still get the same error, delete the partition, select the unallocated partition and click
    Next to proceed with installation.

Hope it helps.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Jul 10, 2024
Thema:

Is it possible to move my current Windows 10 boot disk to a newly built computer and have...

1. Is it possible to move my current Windows 10 boot disk to a newly built computer and have... - Similar Threads - possible move current

2. Is it possible to move my current Windows 10 boot disk to a newly built computer and have...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to move my current Windows 10 boot disk to a newly built computer and have...: My current hardware is getting old and will not run Windows 11.I want to build a new faster system that is Windows 11 capable, and move my system boot disk to the new hardware.I used to do this by starting an install on the existing hardware, then powering off and moving the...
  3. Is it possible to move my current Windows 10 boot disk to a newly built computer and have...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to move my current Windows 10 boot disk to a newly built computer and have...: My current hardware is getting old and will not run Windows 11.I want to build a new faster system that is Windows 11 capable, and move my system boot disk to the new hardware.I used to do this by starting an install on the existing hardware, then powering off and moving the...
  4. Moving activated Windows 10 Home from laptop to newly built PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving activated Windows 10 Home from laptop to newly built PC: Hi all, Like the Subject says, I just built a new PC and have everything good to go, except I need to move from the Windows OS on my laptop which is ready to die, to my new hardware. Looking to steps to take to just be able to install fresh. I'd like to just move the SSD,...
  5. Newly-built computer keeps crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Newly-built computer keeps crashing: Hi all, I recently built my first desktop computer, and I keep getting crashes. They started quite infrequently, but have become a daily occurrence. The blue screen disappears pretty quickly, so I've only managed to get two screenshots of it. The stopcodes they give me are...
  6. I cannot boot and install Windows 10 in my newly built PC

I cannot boot and install Windows 10 in my newly built PC: Hello Respected Seniors and Experts, I am facing a problem regarding installing windows in my system. I have assembled a PC whose specs are below: MSI B450M PRO M2 Max Mobo Ryzen 3 3200G Processor 2x8 GB Corsair Lpx RAM Not Overclocked WD 1 TB HDD Frontech PSU So my problem...
  7. BSoD on newly built computer

BSoD on newly built computer: I have gotten 3 BSoDs since building this computer 1 week ago. I don't know what code it's throwing, sometimes happens while in screen lock. It restarts too quick for me to see what the code is and I have no idea how to interpret the codes to see what they mean. The latest...
  8. Windows won't boot on my newly built PC when the local disk is over 10GB

Windows won't boot on my newly built PC when the local disk is over 10GB: I am very new to PC building and I have just completed my first build, though I haven't been able to boot windows on it correctly. I used the Media Creation tool to install windows on a drive partition of my SSD, but it just won't boot. Eventually I created a drive partition...
  9. Activiating Windows 10 on my newly built PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activiating Windows 10 on my newly built PC: I recently built my new gaming rig and noticed that I didn't have my Windows 10 activated even though I had it activated with my previous PC, what do I do?...
  10. Newly built computer keeps bluescreening

Newly built computer keeps bluescreening: My desktop that I built this summer has been randomly giving BSODs after prolonged use. They are generic error messages like "IRQL not less or equal" but they are always different so far. I have all drivers up to date, but there was nothing in my minidump folder. I enabled...