Windows 10: Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

Discus and support Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sticker592, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether.

:)

sticker592, Nov 10, 2019
  2. .shrine Win User

Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

Wondering if this is at all possible. I use Hyper-V and am very impressed of the native boot performance, would it be at all possible to native boot a linux virtual drive.

For example, in UEFI I have Windows 10 on my physical drive as option 1, and windows 10 on a virtual drive as option 2. Can I also have the 3rd option of linux as a VHDX?

***Moved From: Windows 10/Windows settings***

.shrine, Nov 10, 2019
  3. Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

Hi Shrine,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to refer the articles Best Practices
    for running Linux on Hyper-V
    , Boot
    to a virtual hard disk: Add a VHDX or VHD to the boot menu
    , and
    Supported Linux and FreeBSD virtual
    machines for Hyper-V on Windows
    to check if you can add a second Virtual Hard Drive to install Linux.

If you want more help on installing Linux on VHDX, then I suggest you to post your query in
    IT Pro TechNet Forums, where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge
    on Hyper-V and Virtual Hard Disks and they will help you with the exact information that you are looking for.

Shafeeq_Khan, Nov 10, 2019
  4. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

dual booting Windows and Linux

I was wondering if theres a way when dual booting Windows 7 and Linux Mint, to have it boot Windows by default and possibly not show the GRUB menu, and if I press a certain key, have it boot linux instead?

Is this even possible?

speedy11131, Nov 10, 2019
Thema:

Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

1. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux? - Similar Threads - possible native boot

2. Native booting vhdx file not working

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Native booting vhdx file not working: I've been trying to native boot Win10 on a vhdx virtual disk. I'm following this guide: You are being redirected.... Everything seems to work as it should. But when I reboot the system the following error is shown: [img] I'm testing this in a VMWare VM with UEFI boot and...
  3. Dual boot using vhdx file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot using vhdx file: [ATTACH] Has anyone done this successfully? I'm trying to test this in a VM (VMWare Workstation) following https://win10.guru/native-boot-vhd-dual-boot-made-easy/. Everything seems to go to plan. However on rebooting I get the following:...
  4. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V: Hey all, I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted. Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues. Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer...
  5. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?: I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether. 144144
  6. Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot with linux: only linux boot: Hello, Well I'll sum up what I did so far: I had ubuntu + windows 10, was working fine but ubuntu was taking too much space on my drive. Deleted ubuntu partitions, gave the space back to windows, boot into the windows usb drive to perform the bootrec /fixmbr,fixboot...
  7. Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?: Wondering if this is at all possible. I use Hyper-V and am very impressed of the native boot performance, would it be at all possible to native boot a linux virtual drive. For example, in UEFI I have Windows 10 on my physical drive as option 1, and windows 10 on a virtual...
  8. Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?: Wondering if this is at all possible. I use Hyper-V and am very impressed of the native boot performance, would it be at all possible to native boot a linux virtual drive. For example, in UEFI I have Windows 10 on my physical drive as option 1, and windows 10 on a virtual...
  9. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V: Hey all, I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted. Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues. Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer...
  10. dual-boot Linux

dual-boot Linux: I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1), and I'm considering setting it up to dual-boot Linux. I just had a look at the HD with Disk Management, and Lenovo has created 6 partitions (C, D, and 4 hidden partitions). Can I get further help here, or is...