Windows 10: Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

Discus and support Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by sticker592, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether.

:)

sticker592, Nov 11, 2019

2. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

Just to clarify, you are using easy bcd to add the linux entry to the windows boot manager or you have installed linux with grub as the manager and that forwards the windows vhdx entries to the windows boot manager. It would help greatly if you put the quick order of your steps that I can follow, like:
    1. Add vhdx entries to windows boot
    2. install linux like a normal dual boot with grub.
    or does the order not even matter and you can add entries at any time and grub picks them up.

sticker592, Nov 11, 2019
  3. .shrine Win User
    Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

Wondering if this is at all possible. I use Hyper-V and am very impressed of the native boot performance, would it be at all possible to native boot a linux virtual drive.

For example, in UEFI I have Windows 10 on my physical drive as option 1, and windows 10 on a virtual drive as option 2. Can I also have the 3rd option of linux as a VHDX?

***Moved From: Windows 10/Windows settings***

.shrine, Nov 11, 2019
  4. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether.

sticker592, Nov 11, 2019
Thema:

Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

1. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux? - Similar Threads - possible native boot

2. Native booting vhdx file not working

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Native booting vhdx file not working: I've been trying to native boot Win10 on a vhdx virtual disk. I'm following this guide: You are being redirected.... Everything seems to work as it should. But when I reboot the system the following error is shown: [img] I'm testing this in a VMWare VM with UEFI boot and...
  3. Dual boot using vhdx file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot using vhdx file: [ATTACH] Has anyone done this successfully? I'm trying to test this in a VM (VMWare Workstation) following https://win10.guru/native-boot-vhd-dual-boot-made-easy/. Everything seems to go to plan. However on rebooting I get the following:...
  4. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V: Hey all, I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted. Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues. Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer...
  5. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?: I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether. 144144
  6. Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot with linux: only linux boot: Hello, Well I'll sum up what I did so far: I had ubuntu + windows 10, was working fine but ubuntu was taking too much space on my drive. Deleted ubuntu partitions, gave the space back to windows, boot into the windows usb drive to perform the bootrec /fixmbr,fixboot...
  7. Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?: Wondering if this is at all possible. I use Hyper-V and am very impressed of the native boot performance, would it be at all possible to native boot a linux virtual drive. For example, in UEFI I have Windows 10 on my physical drive as option 1, and windows 10 on a virtual...
  8. Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?: Wondering if this is at all possible. I use Hyper-V and am very impressed of the native boot performance, would it be at all possible to native boot a linux virtual drive. For example, in UEFI I have Windows 10 on my physical drive as option 1, and windows 10 on a virtual...
  9. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V: Hey all, I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted. Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues. Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer...
  10. dual-boot Linux

dual-boot Linux: I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1), and I'm considering setting it up to dual-boot Linux. I just had a look at the HD with Disk Management, and Lenovo has created 6 partitions (C, D, and 4 hidden partitions). Can I get further help here, or is...