Windows 10: Is it possible to output just audio over HDMI from Windows 10 ?

Discus and support Is it possible to output just audio over HDMI from Windows 10 ? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I want to output uncompressed multi channel audio from my Windows 10 PC to my AV amplifier over HDMI. I have it working, I've got my amp connected via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/andynormancx, May 3, 2020.

1. Is it possible to output just audio over HDMI from Windows 10 ?

I want to output uncompressed multi channel audio from my Windows 10 PC to my AV amplifier over HDMI.

I have it working, I've got my amp connected via HDMI using the integrated Intel GPU's HDMI port. I also have a separate AMD Vega 64 as my main GPU.

That all works, I get uncompressed multi channel audio showing up on the amp.

However that also means that the PC is extending a desktop to that HDMI output, if I plugged a display into the output of the amp I'd see a Windows desktop.

What I'd like to do is just send audio over that HDMI connection and not extend the desktop there. If I do this the sound device for that HDMI connection disappears, understandably.

I've tried forcing that sound device to be enabled again, with devcon, but it has no effect. In fact once I've stopped extending the desktop to that output the only way the sound device is enabled again is by rebooting.

So, is it possible to output audio over this HDMI connection without extending the desktop there as well ?

submitted by /u/andynormancx
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/andynormancx, May 3, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

HDMI audio output to Sony TV

Hi,

One possible reason why your HDMI audio output was not working due to outdated drivers. To isolate your issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Did you get any error messages when you tried to connect your computer to your TV?
    • Have you tried updating your HDMI audio driver?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, May 3, 2020
  3. ricopedro Win User
    HDMI audio output problem

If you had read the web page
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/no-hdmi-audio-output/7b5b4084-5e0e-4c52-befb-1564ca2fe57e
    , you would not have suggested the Realtek website for finding the driver. If you want more
    information, you will be able to read the web pages from above. The software tool named audio10 does not work. It cannot be started. The issue is: “How do I get Realtek HDMI Output in the device manager?” This would really solve the problem.

ricopedro, May 3, 2020
  4. Is it possible to output just audio over HDMI from Windows 10 ?

Is it possible to play sound through headphones and HDMI output simultaneously?

Hi David,

I would like to inform that it is not possible to output sound through both the HDMI and the headphone jack simultaneously.

But you can watch video through HDMI and listen via headphone jack.

Follow the steps below.

• Right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar
    • Left click playback devices
    • Right click HDMI
    • Select Disable.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, May 3, 2020
Thema:

Is it possible to output just audio over HDMI from Windows 10 ?

1. Is it possible to output just audio over HDMI from Windows 10 ? - Similar Threads - possible output audio

2. Output computer audio through headphones AND HDMI. Is it possible?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Output computer audio through headphones AND HDMI. Is it possible?: Hello,Is there a way, in Windows 10, to have system sound playback through two DIFFERENT devices at the SAME time? Headphones AND HDMI.My XBox will play sound through HDMI and the headphones at the same time. I'm looking to do that on my PC.If not, no big deal. After messing...
  3. Output computer audio through headphones AND HDMI. Is it possible?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Output computer audio through headphones AND HDMI. Is it possible?: Hello,Is there a way, in Windows 10, to have system sound playback through two DIFFERENT devices at the SAME time? Headphones AND HDMI.My XBox will play sound through HDMI and the headphones at the same time. I'm looking to do that on my PC.If not, no big deal. After messing...
  4. Output computer audio through headphones AND HDMI. Is it possible?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. HDMI Output Audio

HDMI Output Audio: I connected my HDMI to my TV and attempted to play output audio through the secondary device but it is not detected in my sound settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-output-audio/518ee249-2648-404a-8e83-6a078caf080b
  6. Hdmi audio output from a website

Hdmi audio output from a website: While listening to my favorite fm station from the internet, kdfc.com, through an hdmi cable to my stereo reciever, Sony STR DH-510, my audio signal stops when my laptop screen Lenovo Windows 10 goes dark after the screen saver times out. How do I keep my screen saver alive...
  7. Is it possible to use HDMI for audio output only?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to use HDMI for audio output only?: Hello, sorry, I don't know if this is a Windows driver question or graphic card related support. I have a weird setup and it's the following: I have a Laptop Dell G5 with RTX 2060 and I use the DVI port for a monitor. I have a samsung soundbar and I have it connected via...
  8. Audio output while connected with HDMI

Audio output while connected with HDMI: I'm connected to a projector with an HDMI cable and want to use the audio output from the computer to connect to a local PA system. The default is that when HDMI is connected, the computer audio port is disabled. How do I enable it?...
  9. Audio problem over HDMI

Audio problem over HDMI: Hi to everyone! I have this problem in last few month from a day when i install Win10 pro x64 (1511). I did not have this problem when i had Win7. When i want to watch on TV Panasonic ST50 i have problem with audio. Somehow Win10 always mess up drivers for audio after...
  10. Force Intel HDMI Audio Output Possible ?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Force Intel HDMI Audio Output Possible ?: This post is to document yet another flow I observed in Intel Graphics Driver (any) in my laptops . My observation is that on connecting an HDMI cable , only international brands are detected to be HDMI audio capable devices and instantly start playing audio on those...