Windows 10: Is it possible to recover the OEM license key from a machine that is now running Enterprise?

Discus and support Is it possible to recover the OEM license key from a machine that is now running Enterprise? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a surface 7 that came with the OEM version of Windows 10. I have been using it for work, and it currently has a licensed copy of Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MicahColeman1, May 20, 2020.

1. Is it possible to recover the OEM license key from a machine that is now running Enterprise?

I have a surface 7 that came with the OEM version of Windows 10. I have been using it for work, and it currently has a licensed copy of Windows 10 Enterprise version. I plan to switch back to personal use now, and want to remove the Enterprise license and use the Home edition license it came with. I don't have the product key, however. Is this possible without repurchasing Windows? Is it possible to retrive the OEM license key it came with?

I apologize if this question is already on the forum, I couldn't find it.

Thank you,

-Micah

:)

MicahColeman1, May 20, 2020

2. Possible to sysprep an upgraded Windows 10 image, on an OEM machine?

Previously, I have been able to install the OEM build of Windows 8.1 on an OEM system (in this case a Lenovo laptop) and then sysprep and capture the image in order to use it as a base image for deployment on other similarly licensed OEM laptops in my enterprise
    environment.

However, if I perform an upgrade to Windows 10, sysprep the machine, and then capture and try to redeploy the image to another machine in a clean zero-state (or even the same machine), the post-deploy process prompts me to enter the license key for Windows
    10, rather than reading the system motherboard to identify that the system is a qualifying OEM upgradable to Windows 10 system.

So is it possible to perform a sysprep of an upgraded Windows 10 system, or do I need to have new base install media from the OEM that contains a valid activation key?

OneTech IT, May 20, 2020
  3. Xalorous Win User
    Can I run virtual windows with my OEM license?

1. Backup your Windows installation.
    2. Uninstall Windows from your hard drive.
    3. Install Windows in a VM.
    4. Ensure the Windows installation has internet access.
    5. Attempt to activate the installation. You may need to call Microsoft to complete this step over the phone.

If they ask you why your are re-activating, tell them you have removed the old installation and changed your system configuration and that you are now reinstalling. (All true.)

Don't volunteer that the Windows 7 key is OEM. Your Windows 10 entitlement may or may not be marked as originating from OEM. If they say that it is OEM and that you cannot use it to activate, then you know. Say thanks and end the call. Restore your backup from step 1 and stick with dual boot, or purchase a copy of Windows 10 and activate yours that way.

Of course, you could always install Hyper-V component of Windows 10 and run your Linux inside. No licensing issues that way. And it may be installed and running by default.

Also, before step 2, you might try to find some sort of P2V solution. This basically takes an 'image' of your physical system and converts it to a virtual machine. VirtualBox wiki article. This may trigger a reactivation due to the significant change in the HAL (hardware abstraction layer).

Xalorous, May 20, 2020
  4. WhyMe Win User

Is it possible to recover the OEM license key from a machine that is now running Enterprise?

Is it possible to disable windows to reuse the key on a new PC?

The correct answer is that it depends on which version of Win8.1 Pro you used for the Win10 upgrade.

• If your Win8.1 Pro license is a retail version then you can transfer over to a new machine
    • If your Win8.1 Pro license is an oem version then you cannot transfer it to another machine. You would be required to purchase a new Win10 license to use on your new device.

WhyMe, May 20, 2020
Thema:

Is it possible to recover the OEM license key from a machine that is now running Enterprise?

1. Is it possible to recover the OEM license key from a machine that is now running Enterprise? - Similar Threads - possible recover OEM

2. its possible to upgrade windows 11 home with an oem license digital key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    its possible to upgrade windows 11 home with an oem license digital key?: its possible to upgrade windows 11 home with an oem license digital key?The seller told oem licenses are only for fresh installs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/its-possible-to-upgrade-windows-11-home-with-an/7b476a89-3ad2-4c19-ace5-87a9e928963e
  3. OEM licensing for virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM licensing for virtual machine: I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home, with OEM digital license in the BIOS. I would like to replace Windows with Ubuntu Linux, then run Windows 11 in a VirtualBox virtual machine, using that license. Is this possible? What must I do to ensure that I can do this? Will I...
  4. OEM licensing for virtual machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OEM licensing for virtual machine: I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home, with OEM digital license in the BIOS. I would like to replace Windows with Ubuntu Linux, then run Windows 11 in a VirtualBox virtual machine, using that license. Is this possible? What must I do to ensure that I can do this? Will I...
  5. Possible to change OEM key to another OEM key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Possible to change OEM key to another OEM key: Hello all, I've got second hand laptop yesterday. It is Lenovo T640, which comes with Windows 10 Pro OEM license preinstalled in the BIOS. Unfortunately I'm unable to use this key anymore, because the first owner has reached the limit of activation of this key (I called...
  6. Is it possible to recover a product key from an old PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is it possible to recover a product key from an old PC: hi i'm wondering if i can remotely recover an old product key retail version of windows 10 i no longer have access to the harddisk, but i can see the PC in my micorsoft account. is there a way to do this? thanks, Sam...
  7. Recovering a digital license key?

Recovering a digital license key?: I recently swapped out a bunch of hardware, including the motherboard, on my rig and now I can't transfer the OS. It's a 100% custom build and Windows has never "come with it," I'd always individually bought the OS. I'd bought Windows 7 or 8 previously but took advantage of...
  8. OEM licenses and virtual machines

OEM licenses and virtual machines: I just got a computer this week and activated the windows 10 pro OEM license on it. If I now want to install a type 1 hypervisor on the computer like vmshpere and put windows 10 pro and linux on it, will my windows license re-activate? It's the same computer and same...
  9. Recover a License from an upgraded machine

Recover a License from an upgraded machine: The company I used to work for had at one time purchased a Windows 10 Home computer. I then upgraded it to a Windows 10 Pro (I paid for it, not the company, and it's in my Microsoft Account.) I have since left the company and no longer have access to that computer. However, I...
  10. clean reinstallation on OEM machine and possible upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    clean reinstallation on OEM machine and possible upgrade: Hi I may have to get a new laptop (see other thread in General...). When I buy a laptop with an OEM (home) version of windows 10 can I do a clean reinstall by using the media creatiom tool/iso route using the OEM key? Can the OEM Home version of Windows 10 be...