Windows 10: Is it possible to reinstall windows without messing up my linux partitions?

Discus and support Is it possible to reinstall windows without messing up my linux partitions? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've repurposed my windows for just VR gaming and I want to wipe all the useless bloat I've installed over the years quickly. But my main concern is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/A_Random_Lantern, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Is it possible to reinstall windows without messing up my linux partitions?

I've repurposed my windows for just VR gaming and I want to wipe all the useless bloat I've installed over the years quickly. But my main concern is that it will mess up my boot loader (systemd-boot) and linux partitions. I should note that all drives are GPT.

submitted by /u/A_Random_Lantern
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/A_Random_Lantern, Nov 22, 2020
  2. xfire Win User

remove linux and reinstall vista ultimate

Ubuntu=Live CD->7 installation steps where partitioning is done automaticall.
    Windows= Many steps+ selecting the drive to instal to.

and the part where you said you should never make linux your sole OS angered me.
    Also, you can install windows over linux and then put grub back to make it dual boot. Just use gparted to resize the drive. Then install windows on the new partition. Use super grub disk to restore grub.

xfire, Nov 22, 2020
  3. dazed554 Win User
    College to teach Linux over windows

There would be no problem installing 64bit linux along side 32bit windows(I have done this several times).

No, you do not need one of those special runs on windows versions. Any distro will do, personally I like Fedora and Ubuntu.

I would suggest that before you install linux use vista's disk manager to shrink your vista partition and then during the linux install select the option to use the free space(I have always done it this way rather than messing with the vista partition in the linux install).

dazed554, Nov 22, 2020
  4. W1zzard Win User

Is it possible to reinstall windows without messing up my linux partitions?

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

Is it possible to reinstall windows without messing up my linux partitions?

1. Is it possible to reinstall windows without messing up my linux partitions? - Similar Threads - possible reinstall without

2. how to reinstall windows without losing my partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to reinstall windows without losing my partition: Hey guys I'm planning to reinstall my OS and I'm kind of a newbie. I'd like to ask some questions Once I get to this window this is an example for the sake of explanation not my actual partitions I have one hard drive divided into two partitions: "C" for the system 237GB and...
  3. how to reinstall windows without losing my partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to reinstall windows without losing my partition: Hey guys I'm planning to reinstall my OS and I'm kind of a newbie. I'd like to ask some questions Once I get to this window this is an example for the sake of explanation not my actual partitions I have one hard drive divided into two partitions: "C" for the system 237GB and...
  4. how to reinstall windows without losing my partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I messed up my partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I messed up my partitions: So i wanted to move about 50gb or close to that from my C drive to my D drive, so i did that using EaseUS program, and it moved that storage as unallocated, then i saw it created a Z drive that i didn't have before.Now i don't know what to do i tried moving that unallocated...
  6. I messed up my partitions

I messed up my partitions: So i wanted to move about 50gb or close to that from my C drive to my D drive, so i did that using EaseUS program, and it moved that storage as unallocated, then i saw it created a Z drive that i didn't have before.Now i don't know what to do i tried moving that unallocated...
  7. Installed Linux Mint and messed up my partitioning.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installed Linux Mint and messed up my partitioning.: I regretfully did not doenough looking into reparations of my hard drives before I decided to try and jumping into installing Linux Mint onto my PC recently. After playing with it for a day or two, I decided Windows was an easier OS for me to start taking more seriously and...
  8. Installed Linux Mint and messed up my partitioning.

Installed Linux Mint and messed up my partitioning.: I regretfully did not doenough looking into reparations of my hard drives before I decided to try and jumping into installing Linux Mint onto my PC recently. After playing with it for a day or two, I decided Windows was an easier OS for me to start taking more seriously and...
  9. Installed Linux Mint and messed up my partitioning.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Messed up recovery partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Messed up recovery partition: Hello, I was trying to create a recovery drive for my windows but it kept giving me an error. I checked reagent/info in cmd and it turns out the windows recovery environment was disabled. I tried using the code Code: REAGENTC.EXE /setreimage /path...