Windows 10: Is it possible to reinstall windows without messing up my linux partitions?

Discus and support Is it possible to reinstall windows without messing up my linux partitions? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've repurposed my windows for just VR gaming and I want to wipe all the useless bloat I've installed over the years quickly. But my main concern is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/A_Random_Lantern, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Is it possible to reinstall windows without messing up my linux partitions?

I've repurposed my windows for just VR gaming and I want to wipe all the useless bloat I've installed over the years quickly. But my main concern is that it will mess up my boot loader (systemd-boot) and linux partitions. I should note that all drives are GPT.

submitted by /u/A_Random_Lantern
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/A_Random_Lantern, Nov 22, 2020
  2. xfire Win User

remove linux and reinstall vista ultimate

Ubuntu=Live CD->7 installation steps where partitioning is done automaticall.
    Windows= Many steps+ selecting the drive to instal to.

and the part where you said you should never make linux your sole OS angered me.
    Also, you can install windows over linux and then put grub back to make it dual boot. Just use gparted to resize the drive. Then install windows on the new partition. Use super grub disk to restore grub.

xfire, Nov 22, 2020
  3. dazed554 Win User
    College to teach Linux over windows

There would be no problem installing 64bit linux along side 32bit windows(I have done this several times).

No, you do not need one of those special runs on windows versions. Any distro will do, personally I like Fedora and Ubuntu.

I would suggest that before you install linux use vista's disk manager to shrink your vista partition and then during the linux install select the option to use the free space(I have always done it this way rather than messing with the vista partition in the linux install).

dazed554, Nov 22, 2020
  4. W1zzard Win User

Is it possible to reinstall windows without messing up my linux partitions?

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

Is it possible to reinstall windows without messing up my linux partitions?

1. Is it possible to reinstall windows without messing up my linux partitions? - Similar Threads - possible reinstall without

2. After windows reinstall, my laptop is so messed up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After windows reinstall, my laptop is so messed up: I had to do 2 windows reinstalls after really poor performance. Since then, I can't configure my laptop to perform anywhere near normal. I find when I hook up with ethernet, it runs much better and even after unplugging the ethernet it will run ok for awhile but then back to...
  3. Is it possible to reinstall windows 10 without losing my files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to reinstall windows 10 without losing my files?: And is it possible without a usb? submitted by /u/TheRealCrayZee [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i9a2ve/is_it_possible_to_reinstall_windows_10_without/
  4. Dual Boot Partitions Messed Up

Dual Boot Partitions Messed Up: I am trying to dual boot OSX and Windows 10 on my desktop computer. OSX is fully installed, and I have created Windows 10 install media on a flash drive. I am able to boot into the installer, but when I tell the installer to install in the unallocated space ~250gb, it...
  5. Reinstalled windows and it kinda messed up my fan

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reinstalled windows and it kinda messed up my fan: Hello so recently I reinstalled windows on my one month old asus vivobook 15 A512DA variant and I realised the fan noise on my laptop has become louder before the reinstallation. Can anyone please help me with this I've tried every method ik to fix it and it's still not...
  6. Partition mess

Partition mess: I have an Acer A715-71G laptop that came with a 1TB HDD and a linux installation. I have this laptop for two years. On the same day I installed a Samsung 256GB 960 EVO Nvme drive and installed win 10. I might have messed though with the partitions. On subsequent upgrades of...
  7. My windows is messed up.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My windows is messed up.: This is a weird problem, I can't seem to find a solution to it or even how to describe it. But basically the problem is I for instance in a word document only see halv the picture, a triangle. This happens for every image I look at. But also when I go into steam I see no...
  8. Mouse Without Borders messed my mouse and keyboard up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse Without Borders messed my mouse and keyboard up: Hello, I have a problem that started a few hours ago when I was using mouse without borders, I was using my main PC's mouse and keyboard on my laptop while I was using youtube on my main pc when my main pc shut down and now my mouse and keyboard are messed up, my mouse...
  9. Partition Mess

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition Mess: Hello all, So the other night I decided to do a clone of my laptop's hd as a back up using Macrium Reflect. However, it indicated that it couldn't do an MBR clone because it's limited to 3 partitions and my Source drive had 9! Stunned I rebooted out of Kyhi's recovery usb...
  10. Messed up recovery partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Messed up recovery partition: Hello, I was trying to create a recovery drive for my windows but it kept giving me an error. I checked reagent/info in cmd and it turns out the windows recovery environment was disabled. I tried using the code Code: REAGENTC.EXE /setreimage /path...