Windows 10: Is it possible to remotely configure my router for wake on lan?

Discus and support Is it possible to remotely configure my router for wake on lan? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been away from home for over a year now, and have been successfully using wake on lan to access my home pc. However, the router seems to have died... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by crisps, Jan 18, 2021.

1. crisps Win User

Is it possible to remotely configure my router for wake on lan?

I've been away from home for over a year now, and have been successfully using wake on lan to access my home pc. However, the router seems to have died now. I have a friend who's tried rebooting it for me, but apparently it only stays on for a few seconds and then shuts down again.

The modem seems fine, it's just the router. A TP-Link Archer.

I don't remember all the steps I had to take before I left home to get the router set up for this, but I probably port forwarded on 9 to the pc internal IP address. I don't have access to that information now, from where I am. I'm using No-IP for a permanent host name.

I can get my friend to physically turn on the pc and to probably swap out another router for the bad one, just swapping the cables, but she doesn't have any tech skills or interests that would go beyond that.

Would it be possible for me to access any new router, and if so would I be able to remotely do the port forward and do whatever else might be required to get set up again?

If it is possible to do it, any steps you could outline for me would be great, since I remember having a really hard time setting it up and I did it well over a year ago now.

:)

crisps, Jan 18, 2021

2. Wake on lan not working.

Hi Raunak,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

Apologize for the difficulties that you're experiencing in Windows 10.

Please be assured that we will do our best to help you.

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    "Wake on LAN" is a powerful and convenient feature that enables users to remotely power up their computer over a network, saving energy while also allowing remote access to the computer when needed. However, Wake on
    LAN, like many features that offer additional convenience, can also create a security risk by enabling power up capability on a computer which should only be powered up locally.

I suggest you to install Ethernet card drivers from the manufacturers website.

Also Use Network Configuration Settings. Please follow the below steps to troubleshoot with the issue:

1. In the Run box type “ncpa.cpl” and click “ok”.

2. Up next from the window that will be displayed choose “configure”, click on “advanced tab” and pick the “Enable PME” option.

3. Change the value into “enable”.

Hope it helps.

Kindly let us know if you have any further query on Windows, we are happy to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Jan 18, 2021
  3. Wake On LAN is Not Working

I have been unable to get Wake on LAN functionality to work in Windows 10:

• I am attempting to do a Wakeup on LAN to my desktop computer which is running Windows 10 from my laptop which is also running Windows 10. The desktop computer is connected to my router through a wired Ethernet connection and the laptop is connected to the same router via a wireless connection
    • I'm doing this within my Local Area Network so I'm not going through a router from the external network
    • I've upgraded the driver on my network adapter to the latest version
    • I've enabled all the required functionality in the BIOS to enable Wake on LAN
    • I've turned on all the required settings in my network adapter to enable Wake on LAN
    • I've disabled "Fast Startup" in Windows 10
    • I'm using the "Wake on LAN" software application from Aquila Technology
    • The software is installed on both my desktop and laptop and I've tested it with the desktop in "listening" mode and verified that the desktop receives "magic" wake-up packets when it is up-and-running
    • When my desktop system is powered down and I send it a Magic Packet in exactly the same way as I did when it was powered up, nothing happens and it doesn't respond to the wake-up packet

Any suggestions of what I can do to further troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,

chuckcobb3, Jan 18, 2021
  4. 95Viper Win User

95Viper, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

1. Is it possible to remotely configure my router for wake on lan? - Similar Threads - possible remotely configure

2. Remote desktop and wake on lan. ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote desktop and wake on lan. ?: My home is in New Jersey. There I have a Windows 11 pro PC. The internet is on always to support the security system. I travel most of the year overseas. I carry a Window 11 pro laptop.I would like to access my home PC including startup from sleep or hibernation from overseas...
  3. Remote desktop and wake on lan. ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote desktop and wake on lan. ?: My home is in New Jersey. There I have a Windows 11 pro PC. The internet is on always to support the security system. I travel most of the year overseas. I carry a Window 11 pro laptop.I would like to access my home PC including startup from sleep or hibernation from overseas...
  4. Wake on Lan

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wake on Lan: Hi everyone. I have a Chatreey AN1 AMD Ryzen R3 Mini PC with a Realtek NiC. Windows 10 is installed. I can't for the life of me get it to wake on LAN. There are no LEDs in the NIC when the device is off. Should there be blinking LEDs? I've updated the drivers, turned on...
  5. New router, no LAN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New router, no LAN: I updated from DSL (modem/router) to cable (modem/router). Both of my computers had read/write access to my shared folders with the DSL service. When the cable modem/router was installed, both of my computers can access the internet. Both computers can see that the other...
  6. Wake on LAN ???

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wake on LAN ???: What setting do I need to change when this WakeOnLAN ONLY works if the pc to be started via LAN is cut of from power ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wake-on-lan/7f39da08-e6f1-410a-afd8-0c598be75319
  7. Wake on LAN with OS X Microsoft Remote Desktop

Wake on LAN with OS X Microsoft Remote Desktop: I have a Windows 10 PC that I use for some stuff but most of the time I want it to stay sleeping. While it's there, I work on my OS X laptop. I sometimes use Microsoft Remote Desktop to control my PC but the computer needs to be turned on already (and not sleeping). Is there...
  8. Wake on LAN

Wake on LAN: I am trying to set Wake On LAN up. Specs are router Nighthawk R7000 motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING Not sure if other specs are needed? process Switched Power On By PCI-E/PCI on in the bios turned Wake on magic packet enabled Checked with wireshark that...
  9. Remote Desktop app for Mac with Wake on LAN Support

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop app for Mac with Wake on LAN Support: I currently use Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac to remote control my Windows 10 Home PC from my iMac(Mojave OS). The only issue is that the Windows PC goes to sleep to save power, and I cannot easily wake it. I can log into one of my appliances like Synology NAS or Raspberry...
  10. Wake on Lan

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wake on Lan: Can't get computer to wake from master computer,worked perfect when windows 7 was on remote local computer? I'm I missing something in a setup. 42469