Windows 10: Is it possible to replace the motherboard and CPU without the need to re-install Windows 10?

Discus and support Is it possible to replace the motherboard and CPU without the need to re-install Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good day. I have purchased a new motherboard and CPU and would like to use the same SSD without having to re-install Windows. My PC is running on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bhehmann, Dec 2, 2020.

1. bhehmann Win User

Is it possible to replace the motherboard and CPU without the need to re-install Windows 10?

Good day.

I have purchased a new motherboard and CPU and would like to use the same SSD without having to re-install Windows.

My PC is running on a licensed installation of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10.0, Build 19041 which is linked to my Microsoft account.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Bjoern

:)

bhehmann, Dec 2, 2020
  2. drumboots Win User

Replacing motherboard and CPU with Windows 10

There appear to be many dozens of articles and posts on the subject of replacing hardware in systems running Windows 10, but none of them (none of the dozens I have read at least) appear to offer a definitive answer or clear direction. At best the responses
    I have found amount to "you may or may not need to jump through hoops after replacing your motherboard." Not helpful at all.

My PC was installed with a fresh copy Windows 10 Home (not upgraded from a previous version) using a new retail license. I then "upgraded" the system to Windows 10 Edu using an Edu license acquired via my University.

Is there anything I should do before replacing my motherboard (and CPU)?

Is there anything I will need to do after replacing my motherboard (and CPU)?

Thanks,

Mark

drumboots, Dec 2, 2020
  3. bkkdude57 Win User
    Replacement Motherboard and CPU for Windows 10

Hi all,

When Windows 8 was released, I bought 2 licences for Laptop and desktop to upgrade from Windows 7. Later both upgraded to Windows 8.1. I upgraded both to Windows 10 last August. Now, due to motherboard fault, I need to replace the motherboard, and would
    like to take the opportunity to change the cpu from AMD to Intel, therefore needing to change motherboard and CPU. I will be using the original hard-drive with the Window 10 OS. What issues will I have on rebooting after the change? If a big problem, I
    can just replace the mothboard, but would really like to replace both.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

bkkdude57, Dec 2, 2020
  4. bkkdude57 Win User

Is it possible to replace the motherboard and CPU without the need to re-install Windows 10?

Replacement Motherboard and CPU for Windows 10

Hi again,

With reference to my post yesterday about replacing motherboard; My cuurent motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-F2A88X -UP4. If I replace it with the identical motherboard and use the same CPU, will I be able to boot up?

Best regards

bkkdude57, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Is it possible to replace the motherboard and CPU without the need to re-install Windows 10? - Similar Threads - possible replace motherboard

2. Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10: Hello! I've recently ran into an issue with my motherboard as it got shorted due to a stupid mistake on my part. The rest of my components apart from a hard drive are in working condition, so I wish to only replace the motherboard. I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD. My...
  3. Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10: Hello! I've recently ran into an issue with my motherboard as it got shorted due to a stupid mistake on my part. The rest of my components apart from a hard drive are in working condition, so I wish to only replace the motherboard. I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD. My...
  4. Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 re-activation after motherboard replacement.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 re-activation after motherboard replacement.: My ASUS ROG GU502G laptop recently had its motherboard replaced. Upon wiping it and setting it up for another user, I am unable to re-activate Windows 10 due to the old product key being used on the motherboard that was replaced. Is there any way to re-activate windows...
  6. replace motherboard and re-install W10

replace motherboard and re-install W10: Hi All, Excuse the repetition of questions. I seem to go word blind looking at the permutations to same questions. Very basically I am replacing my Motherboard for the same as the one that decided it didn't want to play anymore and just transferring the CPU to that new...
  7. New motherboard and CPU. Need a clean install of windows 10?

New motherboard and CPU. Need a clean install of windows 10?: I upgraded the motherboard and CPU now I cannot boot directly into Windows 10 from my ssd that it was installed on. But I can manually boot from the bios. the SSD is on the boot priority as first, but still not working. Do I have to do some windows recovery or something? I...
  8. Replacing motherboard and CPU with Windows 10

Replacing motherboard and CPU with Windows 10: There appear to be many dozens of articles and posts on the subject of replacing hardware in systems running Windows 10, but none of them (none of the dozens I have read at least) appear to offer a definitive answer or clear direction. At best the responses I have found...
  9. Motherboard replacement and windows 10 re-activation

Motherboard replacement and windows 10 re-activation: My motherboard died and i had to get a new one, but I didn't know windows 10 wouldn't stay activated. I've had windows 10 since the first week it was given out as a free upgrade. I cannot find any of my old product keys, and I never had a physical one for my copy of windows...
  10. Replacing motherboard, cpu and ram, transferring Windows 10

Replacing motherboard, cpu and ram, transferring Windows 10: I hope someone can provide me with the some guidance. The scenario is this: I'm updating the mobo, cpu and ram in my PC to AMD Ryzen 2700X and a Gigabyte x470. All the other components including the hard drive will be the same. I'll be reformatting the hard drive and...