Windows 10: Is it possible to stop a specific printer from becoming default?

Discus and support Is it possible to stop a specific printer from becoming default? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I use a couple of printers, so the option to have the default set to my last used one is useful to me. But I also have a Dymo Labelwriter, which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Estragon Helmer, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Is it possible to stop a specific printer from becoming default?

I use a couple of printers, so the option to have the default set to my last used one is useful to me. But I also have a Dymo Labelwriter, which is listed in printers. When I print a label, it becomes the default printer which is kind of annoying.

Is there any way I can set it so that this printer ONLY can never become the default printer?

:)

Estragon Helmer, Jan 16, 2019

2. Windows 10 Sets Last Printer Used As Default Printer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the printer settings and check if it helps.

• In the search box, type as “settings”.
    • Go to “settings” and select “devices”.
    • Click on “printers and scanners” option on the left hand side.
    • You will find all your printers listed on the screen, below that there is an option
      “Let Windows manage my default printer”.
    • I suggest you to turn “OFF” the option “When turned on, the default printer is the last used printer”.
    • Now check whether you can choose the other printers or not.
    Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 16, 2019
  3. RCoon Win User
    Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

I do it with VB logon scripts

"Dim ps0 [<------ our printer server the printers are added/managed on]
    Dim printer

ps0 = "\\ps0\"
    printer = "S14 - Oki ES4140" [<------- the name of the printer as it is shown on the server]

Set wshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    on Error Resume Next

'Deletes all network printers
    Set clPrinters = wshNetwork.EnumPrinterConnections
    On Error Resume Next
    For i = 0 to clPrinters.Count - 1 Step 2
    wshNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection clPrinters.Item(i+1), true
    Next

'Add Network printer
    wshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection ps0 & printer

'Set Default Printer
    wshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter ps0 & printer" [<------ this bit sets it as default (note: this must be applied as the first policy before any other printers policies, otherwise it deletes them)]

Is it possible to stop a specific printer from becoming default? Printerscrupt.png

RCoon, Jan 16, 2019
  4. IggSter Win User

Is it possible to stop a specific printer from becoming default?

Printer question

To print to default from command line:

lpr <filename>

To print to specific printer:

lpr <filename> -Pprintername

also try lpr <tab><tab> for list of lpr commands

IggSter, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

Is it possible to stop a specific printer from becoming default?

1. Is it possible to stop a specific printer from becoming default? - Similar Threads - possible stop specific

2. Stop Windows OS from Changing My Default Printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop Windows OS from Changing My Default Printer: Hello,This problem has been bugging me for a while.My Default Printer changes about once or twice a month, seems like it's after a Windows Update.I would like to prohibit any automated changes to my default printer "." PERIOD! Is there a way to hard code in only allowing...
  3. Stop Windows OS from Changing My Default Printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop Windows OS from Changing My Default Printer: Hello,This problem has been bugging me for a while.My Default Printer changes about once or twice a month, seems like it's after a Windows Update.I would like to prohibit any automated changes to my default printer "." PERIOD! Is there a way to hard code in only allowing...
  4. Stop Windows OS from Changing My Default Printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Spotify as Default and Load from Keyboard it is possible

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spotify as Default and Load from Keyboard it is possible: I am posting this because I seen hundreds looking for the answer to this and getting told it is not possible. But it is possible., Here is how... I did it. WINDOWS 10 not sure for other OS I removed the Windows App store version and downloaded the Windows Version from...
  6. Is it possible to assign a specific app to a specific desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to assign a specific app to a specific desktop?: When using multidesktop, I can assign Microsoft Word to desktop #2. But then if I scroll to desktop #3, and if I open another Microsoft Word document, it will place it into desktop #3. I am curious if it is possible to limit certain apps to certain desktops. submitted by...
  7. Default printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Default printer: Why has my default printer disappeared in Control Panel Device and Printers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-printer/ed5219fa-0857-40de-81eb-4f66121336d2
  8. printer default

printer default: I have a Lenovo laptop. I'm trying to print and the settings are set to printer default offline. How do I change this to on? Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-default/bb06e599-ac40-40da-9eb3-f7ef18ba8998
  9. printer default

printer default: undefault the printer It won't print https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-default/d060e7f7-0537-4b26-9714-83bb57ce3d74
  10. Possible to select specific updates from "Windows Updates" ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Possible to select specific updates from "Windows Updates" ?: Hello, I have several Windows Updates including the Windows 10 1803 which is very slow and ends up with an error message that the 1803 update failed. After some searching I found there are alternative methods to install the 1803 update which basically removes some Windows...