Windows 10: Is it possible to swap Windows licenses between computers?

Discus and support Is it possible to swap Windows licenses between computers? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I recently bought a laptop, which has a license for Windows 10 Pro, while my main desktop has the standard home edition. Both are registered (as far... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Buhdumtssss, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Is it possible to swap Windows licenses between computers?

So I recently bought a laptop, which has a license for Windows 10 Pro, while my main desktop has the standard home edition. Both are registered (as far as I know) to my MS account.

Is it possible to transfer the Pro license to my desktop where it will be more useful, and the Home license to my laptop?

Ty

submitted by /u/Buhdumtssss
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Buhdumtssss, Jun 30, 2020

2. Swapping Windows licenses between two computers

Hi bojie,

First of all, I tell you that if your PRODUCT KEY are RETAIL one, all what you ask to do is possible. From what I read, you have upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 when it was offered for free.

Actually if you link your Windows license with your Microsoft Account, the swap is possible and also activation on a new machines.

I ask you if you actually have the PRODUCT KEY of the two PCs.

Also , can you link, if they are not, the two license to a Microsoft account?

StefanoTamiotti, Jun 30, 2020
  3. bojie Win User
    Swapping Windows licenses between two computers

I know something like this has been asked before but my question is ever so slightly different

First computer AMD desktop, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate original promotional DVD given by Microsoft, I was actually given 5 of these for various project involvements with Microsoft). I have the discs, boxes and both 32/64 bit versions
    of the DVD

Second computer INTEL desktop, Windows 10 Home (upgraded from a retail boxed NON-OEM version of Windows 8.1). I have the box and 32/64 bit DVDs

The motherboard on the AMD desktop died. All other hardware survived. The AMD is the primary computer while the Intel is the secondary computer. Due to the type of work I do, I sometimes require bitlocker on the primary desktop, hence the need for PRO

Scenario 1.

Make the Intel computer the new primary pc. Swap the pro license with the home license. Is this possible?

Scenario 2.

Try and obtain a new motherboard for the AMD desktop. However, since this is an older machine, I may not be able to get the exact same chipset or motherboard manufacturer. Windows may detect a drastic hardware change and refuse to activate. This runs a
    890X chipset which runs 3 video cards which I need for GPU computing (not gaming). I may have a hard time finding a replacement motherboard. Eventually, Will I be able to migrate my license of Win10 pro to this machine successfully?

Both machines are now activated with a digital license and neither machine is attached to a microsoft account.

Basically I am left with two options:

1. Leave Win10 home on Intel machine #1 and try and reactivate Win10 Pro on a new AMD motherboard

2. Make the intel machine the new main machine. Swap licenses so I can run PRO on this machine and then when I am able to find a replacement AMD mobo, transfer the HOME license to that machine.

Thanks for any suggestions

bojie, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Meosit Win User

Is it possible to swap Windows licenses between computers?

How can I swap two digital licenses between two computers

Hi Igor,

Both of my licenses are of Retail type, not OEM. So please disregard the word "preinstalled" in this question.

The main point is: how to swap two windows versions (Home and Pro) activated using digital license between computers?

Thanks in advance.

Meosit, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Is it possible to swap Windows licenses between computers?

1. Is it possible to swap Windows licenses between computers? - Similar Threads - possible swap licenses

2. License swapped between the devices

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    License swapped between the devices: I have a digital license of Windows 10 and a laptop which came with Windows 10 pre-installedAcer Swift 3. Both these devices were linked to my single MS account. The digital license that I had bought, was using it for my Desktop. Recently I swapped the SSD of the desktop and...
  3. License swapped between the devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    License swapped between the devices: I have a digital license of Windows 10 and a laptop which came with Windows 10 pre-installedAcer Swift 3. Both these devices were linked to my single MS account. The digital license that I had bought, was using it for my Desktop. Recently I swapped the SSD of the desktop and...
  4. License swapped between the devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Swapping windows licences between computers

Swapping windows licences between computers: Hi, I just got another computer and I would like to transfer the Windows key from my old computer. On the old one, I installed OEM Windows 7 key CD box and upgraded it to Windows 10. Using cmd I checked that my Windows 10 is a retail version, but AIDA64 software showed me...
  6. Is it possible to swap 2 versions of Windows 10 between two computers?

Is it possible to swap 2 versions of Windows 10 between two computers?: Here is the situation I'm curious about. I'm getting a new computer with standard Windows 10 operating system. My current older computer has Windows 10 pro which is linked to my Microsoft account online. Is it possible to move Windows 10 pro from the old to the new computer...
  7. Swapping activations between computers

Swapping activations between computers: Hello, I purchased a new HP Envy Desktop. It comes with Windows 10 Home (V2004). It replaces my AMD Ryzen home built which has Windows 10 Pro (V20H2). I would like to put the Windows 10 Pro on the HP Envy and the Windows 10 home on the AMD. Is this possible? From searches, it...
  8. Swapping activations between computers

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping activations between computers: Hello, I purchased a new HP Envy Desktop. It comes with Windows 10 Home (V2004). It replaces my AMD Ryzen home built which has Windows 10 Pro (V20H2). I would like to put the Windows 10 Pro on the HP Envy and the Windows 10 home on the AMD. Is this possible? From searches, it...
  9. Swapping Windows licenses between two computers

Swapping Windows licenses between two computers: I know something like this has been asked before but my question is ever so slightly different First computer AMD desktop, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate original promotional DVD given by Microsoft, I was actually given 5 of these for various project...
  10. Swapping Disks Between Two Computers

Swapping Disks Between Two Computers: For various weird reasons I have the need to swap the hard drives (SSD) between two similar Thinkpads. They are architecturally similar so I'm reasonably sure that after a few routine automatic driver updates both will run fine. Of course, at that point both will...