Windows 10: Is it possible to tether my laptop to my desktop as an external drive?

Discus and support Is it possible to tether my laptop to my desktop as an external drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I do a lot of traveling and have been using an EHD to shuttle files between my laptop and desktop machine (laptop -> EHD -> Desktop -> EHD -> laptop).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lbeck, Jun 5, 2018.

1. lbeck Win User

Is it possible to tether my laptop to my desktop as an external drive?

I do a lot of traveling and have been using an EHD to shuttle files between my laptop and desktop machine (laptop -> EHD -> Desktop -> EHD -> laptop).

Is there equipment that would allow connection to both machines through USB ports to eliminate the need for an EHD (laptop <-> desktop)?? I'm assuming that I would need to create a partition on my laptop and map it to a drive letter not on my desktop.

Thanks.

:)

lbeck, Jun 5, 2018
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jun 8, 2018
  3. hano10 Win User
    Tethering Nokia Mob to PC (Win XP)

How can I tell at a glance if a phone is capable of tethering to a laptop to act as a modem.

I spend a lot of time in the countryside out of range of more common connection methods (dongle etc) However I have a reasonable mob signal, I know it is possible to tether, but get conflicting advice on what is possible from dealers.

What is the function/functionality to look for when I am looking to see if a mob can tether?

Is there a list anywhere of nokia models that can tether.

I'm looking to buy a cheapish mob, purely to tether my laptop, the only ones I've seen so far are in the region of £300, does anyone have any suggestions of anything cheaper?

hano10, Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

Is it possible to tether my laptop to my desktop as an external drive?

1. Is it possible to tether my laptop to my desktop as an external drive? - Similar Threads - possible tether laptop

2. My laptop is not detecting my external drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop is not detecting my external drives: I'm trying to access my external harddrive but I'm not able to view or open the drive from file explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-is-not-detecting-my-external-drives/c681b6dc-2dd3-4fb0-b959-61fb83e26ae4
  3. My laptop is not detecting my external drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop is not detecting my external drives: I'm trying to access my external harddrive but I'm not able to view or open the drive from file explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-is-not-detecting-my-external-drives/c681b6dc-2dd3-4fb0-b959-61fb83e26ae4
  4. external drive to my HP Laptop?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external drive to my HP Laptop?: How do I connect an external Hard drive to my HP Laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-to-my-hp-laptop/bdf169cf-50ce-44c9-83b9-a8b492d98000
  5. Tether my Android to my laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tether my Android to my laptop: I want to be able to use my headset on my laptop to make and recieive calls https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tether-my-android-to-my-laptop/749d6a30-bca3-48d7-934e-b28d528dc50c
  6. Portable external drive no longer shows on my desktop

Portable external drive no longer shows on my desktop: A portable external HDD - a Western Digital 1TB MyPassport - no longer shows in This PC and File Explorer on my desktop. The device does show in Device Manager. It also shows in This PC and File Explorer on a laptop (also running Win 10 1909). The PC maintenance is up to date...
  7. My Laptop doesn’t recognize my external hard drive

My Laptop doesn’t recognize my external hard drive: When i used my external hard drive a few days ago, it worked fine. But yesterday my laptop refused to recognize it i tried disk managment, device manager, etc i tested the drive on another device and it worked, and i tested my ports and they worked just fine. It seems the...
  8. External hard drive only slow on my laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External hard drive only slow on my laptop: I bought brand new laptop Lenovo - S340-15API Touch 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 - 12GB Memory - 1TB Hard DriveModel: 81QG0007US SKU: 6350523 and when I use Seagate external hard drive model SRD00F1 my hard drive works super slow. I thought my hard drive had the...
  9. External hard drive doesn't detect on my laptop.

External hard drive doesn't detect on my laptop.: I disconnected the hard disk without safely ejecting it. Now that usb port doesn't detect the external hard drive. But it detects other usb devices. Also the external hard drive works with my other usb ports. Please help me to fix my usb port....
  10. Access to an external drive on my laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access to an external drive on my laptop: I don't use a login password on my laptop and I believe I need to become the administrator to access an external drive that is currently showing an "access denied" message. This is a second hand machine and I'm not the most computer savvy....