Windows 10: Is it possible to transfer/migrate windows 10 from an old HDD to a new HDD?

Discus and support Is it possible to transfer/migrate windows 10 from an old HDD to a new HDD? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Sorry for the dumb question, but my dad recently gave me his computer which has windows 10 Pro inside of its hard drive (he doesnt have an ssd). I also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/jepoyy, Oct 23, 2020.

1. /u/jepoyy Win User

Is it possible to transfer/migrate windows 10 from an old HDD to a new HDD?

Sorry for the dumb question, but my dad recently gave me his computer which has windows 10 Pro inside of its hard drive (he doesnt have an ssd). I also just realized that windows 10 is not a free OS after 18 long years. Knowing this fact, Im not really willing into spending $100 on a new windows account, and so I was just wondering if its possible to move the Windows 10 from the old HDD to a new HDD.

Note: my dad told me that he doesnt really care about the stuff inside of the hdd, neither do I, so its ok if he have to delete everything inside of it but all I want is the windows 10 pro in the end.

any links to youtube videos, step by steps on how to do it would be greatly appreciated. I know very small about computers and by having a guide to watch or follow would just help me quite a lot.

Thank you

submitted by /u/jepoyy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/jepoyy, Oct 23, 2020
  2. RexCypher Win User

Transfering OS from old HDD to new HDD

My old hdd is windows 10, but only has ~30gb left of storage and a broken sata cable receiver. Bought a 3TB hdd. Is there a way to transfer all the files and os system from the old to the new?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

RexCypher, Oct 23, 2020
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Transferring everything from an old HDD to a new HDD

If all of your files/software are on the same partition as Windows they will be transferred to the new HDD when

your clone/image/migrate Win10 to the new HDD.

If you have data or software on a separate partition or HDD to Windows you can simply copy that data

to the new HDD.

Be careful to use the same drive letter for the partition that the data is stored on now in case there

is something that requires the original file path ( software in particular, but some data may as well ).

There are a number of cloning tools. I use the free version of AOEMI Partition Manager, but HDD mfg's

also have similar software available from mfg's web site.

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

- I appreciate that 3TB may be more than enough space for your needs, but you should seriously consider

getting an SSD for Windows. 120GB is adequate, but 240GB is more cost effective per GB.

Of course this is a bit of a bother if you have everything on C:\ , but Windows loads faster and runs quicker

from and SSD. Once you've used Windows on an SSD you will never want to go back to HDD...

Sooo slow... Software also benefits some, but games are fine on an HDD as they only benefit from

slightly decreased loading times on SSD, and of course, data if fine stored on an HDD.

BossDweeb, Oct 23, 2020
  4. Is it possible to transfer/migrate windows 10 from an old HDD to a new HDD?

migrate files and settings from windows 10 to new hdd running windows 10

The old hdd has windows10 and the new one is just formatted. It is a 64 bit Windows 10.

Cannot boot up old hdd... need to transfer Windows 10 files amd settings and all other programs

from old hdd to new hdd

WayneDzugalo, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

Is it possible to transfer/migrate windows 10 from an old HDD to a new HDD?

1. Is it possible to transfer/migrate windows 10 from an old HDD to a new HDD? - Similar Threads - possible transfer migrate

2. How to transfer my files on my old hdd to a new hdd?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to transfer my files on my old hdd to a new hdd?: My hdd is now faulty and I bought a new hdd, how can i transfer the files from my old hdd to the new hdd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-transfer-my-files-on-my-old-hdd-to-a-new/6ccd251d-5943-49aa-a6eb-a51caff732c6
  3. HDD not migrated.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD not migrated.: Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_&Prod_ST1000DM010-2EP1\4&a13202a&0&020000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.Last Device Instance Id: SCSI\CdRom&Ven_TSSTcorp&Prod_CDDVDW_SH-222BB\4&a13202a&0&020000Class Guid: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}Location Path:...
  4. Is it possible to transfer windows 10 from an hdd to a new ssd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to transfer windows 10 from an hdd to a new ssd?: Sorry for the dumb question, but i recently found out that by simply having windows 10 installed into an ssd would make it run a little bit faster. Right now I have my windows 10 installed on my hdd and recently bought a new ssd, and so i was wondering if i could just easily...
  5. How to migrate to a new HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to migrate to a new HDD: My HP Envy 23 all in one 10 pt touch screen began giving me the ol Smart drive detects imminent HDD Failure. So I got a new 1 TB drive and everything is backed up on another external drive. How do I migrate to a new drive all my windows account settings? If I use the...
  6. Migrating hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Migrating hdd: I was wondering if migrating from a SSD to SSD is same as HDD to SSD and also if the hard drive with the operating systems had bad sectors on it, would the migration still continue successfully? Thanks...
  7. Migrating HDD to New PC

Migrating HDD to New PC: Hello all, I will be building a new PC to replace my current one soon. I intend to remove the HDD from my current PC, which has Windows 10 OS on it, and place it in my new build. Once there I would like to clone it onto an SSD and use that in the future for the boot drive....
  8. Migrating Windows 10 from an existing HDD to a new SSD

Migrating Windows 10 from an existing HDD to a new SSD: I have Installed a new WD SSD on my Asus S15 S510UN Laptop. I have been trying to identify possibilities of migrating my Windows 10 installation 'as it is' to my new WD SSD. I have tried using Acronis True Image WD Edition but am facing some issues with the installation. The...
  9. Transfering HDD from old PC to new PC

Transfering HDD from old PC to new PC: I have an older PC in which the motherboard is dying. I bought a newer PC and since the HDD is still good on old PC I wanted to install the HDD to the new PC as a 2nd drive. That way i can keep the files and have more room. My question is to make room on old HDD can I delete...
  10. new laptop: Is it possible to migrate OS from SSD to HDD (yes to HDD)

in Windows 10 Support
    new laptop: Is it possible to migrate OS from SSD to HDD (yes to HDD): Hi, I recently bought an MSI GL62 6QF laptop and unfortunately although it is an excellent laptop it has some limitation that might urge me to return it system: 128 GB SSD in M.2 PCI-e (Windows pre-installed here) 1 TB HDD If you could help me I would like to know...