Windows 10: is it possible to upgrade windows from 10 pro OEM to 10 pro retail

Discus and support is it possible to upgrade windows from 10 pro OEM to 10 pro retail in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I just bought a new PC yesterday with windows 10 pro OEM. Is it possible to upgrade it to windows 10 pro retail? OEM to retail is the only change I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by talshachar, May 1, 2020.

1. is it possible to upgrade windows from 10 pro OEM to 10 pro retail

Hi, I just bought a new PC yesterday with windows 10 pro OEM. Is it possible to upgrade it to windows 10 pro retail? OEM to retail is the only change I want to do. Since it's a new PC which did not arrive from the store yet, I don't care if data will be lost.

I DON'T have a copy of windows 10 pro retail, I was wondering if I can just pay Microsoft the difference between pro OEM and pro retail.

The reason I want to upgrade, is because I found out that if I change motherboard or whole computer etc. in the future, I will have to re purchase windows. I guess my question is not really upgrading windows, it's more like upgrading the license, since in both cases it's windows 10 pro.

I have already emailed the store I bought my PC to ask them about it, but did not get a straight answer yet. So I wanted to know from you in general if this kind of upgrade is possible.

Thank you.

Tal

:)

talshachar, May 1, 2020
  2. patkim Win User

Understanding difference between OEM & Retail Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade if any

Hi,

I am aware that you can upgrade OEM Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro by following certain steps and paying a fee to Microsoft to get a new Pro license.

However what I am not clear is about the type of license that Windows 10 Pro then comes with after an upgrade

When I upgrade OEM Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, do I still retain the license as Windows 10 Pro OEM or does it now become a retail Pro license?

If it still remains as OEM License, is there a difference in the fee structure for upgrading OEM Home to Pro & Retail Home to Pro?

As I understand a retail license offers flexibility to move to another computer but OEM does not. OEM is tied to the first motherboard on which it's activated.

Thanks

patkim, May 1, 2020
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows 10 Release Date Announced

Windows 10 Home will be $119, Pro $199.

Microsoft: Windows 10 Home costs $119, Pro costs $199

Which is good news actually, because Windows 8.1 is loads cheaper than previous versions (retail licensing at Windows 7 OEM prices). And it sort of puts a huge hole in the Windows subscription theory.

Frick, May 1, 2020
  4. iiWWee Win User

is it possible to upgrade windows from 10 pro OEM to 10 pro retail

Is it still possible to upgrade OEM Window 10 from HOME to PRO with a valid windows 8 OEM PRO key?

I purchased a windows 8 OEM Pro key several years ago. Recently I bought a laptop with Windows 10 HOME. I want to upgrade it Windows 10 Pro. It is possible to make it with the Windows 8 Pro key? If yes, what steps are there? Many thanks!

iiWWee, May 1, 2020
Thema:

is it possible to upgrade windows from 10 pro OEM to 10 pro retail

1. is it possible to upgrade windows from 10 pro OEM to 10 pro retail - Similar Threads - possible upgrade pro

2. Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail: I have a Windows 10 Home OEM PC. Where I will change the product key to Windows 10 Pro Retail which I purchased separately.This Windows 10 Pro Retail I will migrate to another PC and setup in VM in the future.After the migration can I reinstall back the Windows 10 Home OEM on...
  3. Changin from windows 10 home OEM to windows 10 pro Retail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changin from windows 10 home OEM to windows 10 pro Retail: Hi! I recently just ordered a bunch of new PC parts including a new motherboard and CPU. My PC was originally a pre-built gaming PC, but as I wrote earlier, I have upgraded. I want to keep my main drive, but because the license I currently have is an OEM license, it wont run...
  4. Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro: Hello there,I got a new lenovo laptop with windows 10 oem home installed, and I want to upgrade it to retail pro through key I've purchased.Which is better: To just apply the upgrade or do clean install? Or it doesn't matter?Thank you...
  5. Is it possible to upgrade windows from 10 pro 1909 OEM to 10 pro October 2020 Update

Is it possible to upgrade windows from 10 pro 1909 OEM to 10 pro October 2020 Update: Dear Recently Microsoft announcements windows10 1909 will the end of service next month, in May 2021.Just i want confirm my company All PCs and laptop purchased inbuild windows 10 OS Purchased on the Local Partner based on business needed.Is it possible to upgrade windows...
  6. Back to windows 10 home OEM from Pro Retail

Back to windows 10 home OEM from Pro Retail: I've Windows 10 Professional Retail product key. My laptop has Windows 10 Home OEM. I want to upgrade to win 10 Professional Retail. Can I get back to my OEM Win 10 Home again? How? I would like to avoid using product key if I cant get back to my win 10 Home OEM. Please help...
  7. Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?

Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?: Because the recent windows 10 update my computer became unusable. I couldn't access the computer because the sign in prompt disappeared and trying to do an update rollback or repair or recovery through safe mode failed. So I had to reinstall my old windows 7 pro just...
  8. Upgrade to windows 10 pro from oem 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade to windows 10 pro from oem 10: So if I buy the upgrade will it be oem pro or retail pro? submitted by /u/Pikachujkl [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dvdnse/upgrade_to_windows_10_pro_from_oem_10/
  9. Upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail

Upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail: I have Windows 10 Pro Retail license previously in my old PC (own build) and now I bought a new Dell PC with Windows 10 Home OEM installed. How can I upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM in the Dell PC with Windows 10 Pro license from another PC? I don't use the old PC (own build)...
  10. Windows 7 Pro Retail upgrades to Windows 10 Pro OEM?!

Windows 7 Pro Retail upgrades to Windows 10 Pro OEM?!: Hello, I current have Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit installed from a Retail (not OEM) copy. If I read the tutorials correctly, I understand that if I install the free upgrade to Windows 10, there is no product key and it is tied to my hardware. Even if I create install media,...