Windows 10: Is it possible to use a laptop as an external display without using wireless display?

Discus and support Is it possible to use a laptop as an external display without using wireless display? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Travelling to uni in the near future and while I have a second monitor I would want to leave one of them at home so I don't have to carry them to uni... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/platon29, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Is it possible to use a laptop as an external display without using wireless display?

Travelling to uni in the near future and while I have a second monitor I would want to leave one of them at home so I don't have to carry them to uni and back. A solution I came across was using a my laptop as a wireless display which while functional isn't the best especially in terms of latency. Are there any other solutions that are supported? Another idea I had was using a capture card for my PC's output and connecting it to the laptop but I don't have one to test for that purpose. So any ideas?

submitted by /u/platon29
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/platon29, Sep 23, 2020
  2. Jetster Win User

Laptop display question

Confusing statement! You want to change the display on your laptop that died?

Is that correct?

How do you know its the display that's bad?

Just google "how to change display on a acer 5745"

Should get you to step by step instructions. But first make sure its the display that's bad

Jetster, Sep 23, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Display problems with the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter

Hi,

It is possible that you are experiencing an audio and video streaming issues due to a corrupted or an outdated display driver. To isolate your issue, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Could you tell us the exact error message you received?
    • Have you tried updating your display drivers?
    • Does this happen only when you're streaming a video?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot Wireless Display Adapters. You may expand each section that best describes your situation and check if the issue still persists.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Sep 23, 2020
  4. Is it possible to use a laptop as an external display without using wireless display?

External display with laptop and docking station

Hi Ray,

It is possible that there's no main display that was set to your Windows 10 devices, when you connect your laptop to the dock station. This could be one of the possible reasons that whenever you disconnect your laptop, it reverts to either of the two displays.
    To get this corrected, let's try to set a display as your main display. Here are the steps:

• Right click or press and hold on your desktop.
    • Click on Display settings.
    • On the right side of Display, click on the display number at the top that you want to make the main display, and check the
      Make this my main display box under Multiple displays.
    • Then, you can close Settings.

Additionally, there's an easier way to extend your monitor display so that you wouldn't need to go to the display settings every time you want to have an external display. To do that, simply press
    Windows key + P on your primary computer to see the options.

Let us know how that turned out for you.

Marilou Ser, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

Is it possible to use a laptop as an external display without using wireless display?

1. Is it possible to use a laptop as an external display without using wireless display? - Similar Threads - possible laptop external

2. Please help! Laptop integrated display will not use Nvidia, but will use it on external...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please help! Laptop integrated display will not use Nvidia, but will use it on external...: I have an alienware laptop with a qled display and nvidia 3070 rtx. It's always worked fine, but for the last year, I had it connected to an external display for gaming. I recently bought a desktop and gave the laptop to my son. Now when he tries to play games using the...
  3. Please help! Laptop integrated display will not use Nvidia, but will use it on external...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please help! Laptop integrated display will not use Nvidia, but will use it on external...: I have an alienware laptop with a qled display and nvidia 3070 rtx. It's always worked fine, but for the last year, I had it connected to an external display for gaming. I recently bought a desktop and gave the laptop to my son. Now when he tries to play games using the...
  4. Use wireless display over Lan

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Use wireless display over Lan: Hi,My pc doesn't have built-in Wi-Fi so I connect it to a router with Lan cable and connect my laptop to the same router with Wi-Fi.These two devices can see each other and I always use this way to share big files.But when I want to use the laptop as a wireless display for my...
  5. Use wireless display over Lan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use wireless display over Lan: Hi,My pc doesn't have built-in Wi-Fi so I connect it to a router with Lan cable but I connect my laptop to the same router with Wi-Fi.These two devices can see each other and I always use this way to share big files.But when I want to use the laptop as a wireless display for...
  6. Issue using Surface as a Wireless Display

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue using Surface as a Wireless Display: Hi, I’m trying to use my Surface Book 3 as a second monitor for my PC, but it won’t recognise it at all. However, if I do the opposite and try to project my Surface to my PC, it works fine. Why can’t my PC connect to the Surface? Thanks for any help submitted by /u/off_it...
  7. Using laptop as second monitor via wireless display

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using laptop as second monitor via wireless display: What I want: Use my laptop as a second monitor at home. The laptop does not have HDMI in so I have to go wireless. So I have both computers setup to use the connect app, have the settings configured under "projecting to this PC", both on the same network (desktop wired and...
  8. use of Wireless display adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    use of Wireless display adapter: Hi, My PC shows Miracast is not available, Can I still use the wireless display adapter? System Information ------------------ Time of this report: 8/8/2020, 10:18:54 Machine name: JAIETHANN12 Machine Id:...
  9. Using two external displays with a laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using two external displays with a laptop: I have a laptop with Windows 10 and Intel HD 4000 graphics card. Can I connect two external monitors and turn off my main laptop display, so I can extend the screens on the two external displays and not use the main laptop screen?....
  10. Use external display by default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Use external display by default: I'm using a Lenovo laptop with an external wired monitor. Every time I shut down the laptop, I need to go to Settings < Display and select Display 2 on the laptop display. Is there a way to make the external monitor the default one when I turn the laptop on?...