Windows 10: Is it possible to use a retail Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 on a new computer?

Discus and support Is it possible to use a retail Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 on a new computer? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Around 11 years ago, I bought a Windows 7 Home Basic installation disk from a retail store and used it to activate Windows 7 on my old PC. I have no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dkl65, Apr 2, 2021.

1. /u/dkl65 Win User

Is it possible to use a retail Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 on a new computer?

Around 11 years ago, I bought a Windows 7 Home Basic installation disk from a retail store and used it to activate Windows 7 on my old PC. I have no idea where the disk is now and that PC has been decommissioned. I still have the 25-character product key written down. Let’s say me or someone in my family wanted to build a custom PC. Could I still use that product key to activate Windows 10? Has anyone actually tried this?

submitted by /u/dkl65
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/dkl65, Apr 2, 2021

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Apr 2, 2021
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    activate windows 7 oem key

There is no difference between the OEM disc and the Retail disc with Windows 7. A retail disc will accept a OEM or Retail key, and vise versa.

If the OEM Key wasn't going to work with the disc you have, it would have stopped you during the install when it first asked you for the key, not during activation.

What is likely the problem is that, since the OEM version has already been activated once, it is failing activation again. Activate it over the phone using the option given to you on the failed activation screen, and you shouldn't have a problem activating it.

newtekie1, Apr 2, 2021
  4. EviLZeD Win User

Is it possible to use a retail Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 on a new computer?

activate windows 7 oem key

Ive installed windows 7 using retail disk but with an oem key it worked fine you can always change the key from right clicking my computer-properties then selecting change product key

EviLZeD, Apr 2, 2021
Thema:

1. Is it possible to use a retail Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 on a new computer? - Similar Threads - possible retail key

2. Windows 11 activation with new Windows 10 Retails product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 activation with new Windows 10 Retails product key: I understand that Microsoft does not sell Windows 10 online/offline at present. However the Win10 pro retail physical version are available at many stores. And I am found that those are little bit cheap compared to Win11 pro retail from online/offlineMy quarry is that if I...
  3. Windows 11 activation with new Windows 10 Retails product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 activation with new Windows 10 Retails product key: I understand that Microsoft does not sell Windows 10 online/offline at present. However the Win10 pro retail physical version are available at many stores. And I am found that those are little bit cheap compared to Win11 pro retail from online/offlineMy quarry is that if I...
  4. Can a customer use a Windows 7 retail product key to activate modern versions of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can a customer use a Windows 7 retail product key to activate modern versions of Windows 10?: Can a customer use a Windows 7 retail product key to activate modern versions of Windows 10? * Moved from Community Participation Center * Original title: windows 10...
  5. Uninstall Retail Activation Key from a computer to use in a new one?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Uninstall Retail Activation Key from a computer to use in a new one?: Hi everyone, I’m on the fence about getting Windows 10 and I would like for know the following: If I activate my Windows 10 Retail Key with one computer and the hard drive breaks, how is the key transferable to a new computer? Similarly if I format my computer (to sell/give...
  6. Is it possible to activate windows 10 with windows 7 OEM key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to activate windows 10 with windows 7 OEM key?: Im building a new pc and I have an old laptop with windows 7 oem licence. As far as I know it’s still possible to upgrade from 7 to 10 for free but is it possible to use the laptops activation key to activate windows on the new pc? If not, is there some other way to utilize...
  7. Can i use windows 7 retail key to activate windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can i use windows 7 retail key to activate windows 10?: as the topic 1. if i have clean install windows 10 can i use retail key from windows 7 to activate that? 2. if it can, how how long microsoft will support after activated? Thank you very much...
  8. Windows 10 Pro retail activation on a new computer

Windows 10 Pro retail activation on a new computer: Hi,I'm receiving an error 0xc004c003 when trying to activate my Windows 10 Pro retail license on my new computer. My old computer is formatted so the license should no longer be active....
  9. Is it possible to install Windows 10 on a new machine using the Microsoft retail...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to install Windows 10 on a new machine using the Microsoft retail...: Although I have UEFI enabled and have UEFI: KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP Partition 1 set as first in the boot sequence, nothing happens. The M/B manufacturer's splash screen remains on screen. If I choose KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP from the Boot Menu instead (the choice without the...
  10. windows 10 activation with a retail key

windows 10 activation with a retail key: hello so my problem is simple i have a windows 10 professional retail key not affiliated with my Microsoft account about 5 month ago i bought a new hard drive and installed a new copy of windows on it (yes the version is pro) and when i entered the key it said that it wasn't...