Windows 10: Is it possible to use HDMI for audio output only?

Discus and support Is it possible to use HDMI for audio output only? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, sorry, I don't know if this is a Windows driver question or graphic card related support. I have a weird setup and it's the following: I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sergioquan, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Is it possible to use HDMI for audio output only?

Hello, sorry, I don't know if this is a Windows driver question or graphic card related support.

I have a weird setup and it's the following:

I have a Laptop Dell G5 with RTX 2060 and I use the DVI port for a monitor. I have a samsung soundbar and I have it connected via HDMI.

The problem I have is that Windows recognize the HDMI output as another monitor and it assign a working space, and sometimes I accidentally scroll the mouse pointer toward that monitor position and my pointer disappears.

When using Remote desktop, I see the third "monitor" screen.

Is there a way I can set up the HDMI to send only audio and avoid assigning it as another monitor? The reason I want to use the HDMI is because I want the best sound from my laptop and it seems this way it does send a 5.1 signal to the soundbar.

Thank you

:)

sergioquan, Dec 9, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

HDMI audio output to Sony TV

Hi,

One possible reason why your HDMI audio output was not working due to outdated drivers. To isolate your issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Did you get any error messages when you tried to connect your computer to your TV?
    • Have you tried updating your HDMI audio driver?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Dec 9, 2020
  3. Is it possible to play sound through headphones and HDMI output simultaneously?

Hi David,

I would like to inform that it is not possible to output sound through both the HDMI and the headphone jack simultaneously.

But you can watch video through HDMI and listen via headphone jack.

Follow the steps below.

• Right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar
    • Left click playback devices
    • Right click HDMI
    • Select Disable.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Dec 9, 2020
  4. Is it possible to use HDMI for audio output only?

no audio in Hdmi output

Hi Pankish,

It seems that the issue is due to incorrect audio settings. For help fixing audio or sound problems, try the audio troubleshooter.
    It might be able to fix audio problems automatically.

Additionally, we suggest that check your audio settings. Make sure that your HDMI TV is set as your default sound device. Here are the steps:

• Click Start and in the Search box, type
      Sound
    • From the search results, click the Sound option.
    • Under the Playback tab, click Speakers
    • Click Set Default at the bottom.
    • Click Apply and OK to save the settings.

Please post back with the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Melowin Mar, Dec 9, 2020
Thema:

Is it possible to use HDMI for audio output only?

1. Is it possible to use HDMI for audio output only? - Similar Threads - possible HDMI audio

2. How do I set an HDMI output as audio only?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set an HDMI output as audio only?: The issue:When I connect my Sony AV Reciever DA2400ES using the BD port to my PC via an HDMI cord, I get a display that I don't have a monitor for called SONY AVAMP. Windows will open some applications to this display, even though I have one of my other displays set as...
  3. How do I set an HDMI output as audio only?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I set an HDMI output as audio only?: The issue:When I connect my Sony AV Reciever DA2400ES using the BD port to my PC via an HDMI cord, I get a display that I don't have a monitor for called SONY AVAMP. Windows will open some applications to this display, even though I have one of my other displays set as...
  4. Output computer audio through headphones AND HDMI. Is it possible?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Output computer audio through headphones AND HDMI. Is it possible?: Hello,Is there a way, in Windows 10, to have system sound playback through two DIFFERENT devices at the SAME time? Headphones AND HDMI.My XBox will play sound through HDMI and the headphones at the same time. I'm looking to do that on my PC.If not, no big deal. After messing...
  5. Output computer audio through headphones AND HDMI. Is it possible?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Output computer audio through headphones AND HDMI. Is it possible?: Hello,Is there a way, in Windows 10, to have system sound playback through two DIFFERENT devices at the SAME time? Headphones AND HDMI.My XBox will play sound through HDMI and the headphones at the same time. I'm looking to do that on my PC.If not, no big deal. After messing...
  6. Output computer audio through headphones AND HDMI. Is it possible?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. HDMI Output Audio

in Windows 10 Customization
    HDMI Output Audio: I connected my HDMI to my TV and attempted to play output audio through the secondary device but it is not detected in my sound settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-output-audio/518ee249-2648-404a-8e83-6a078caf080b
  8. Is it possible to output just audio over HDMI from Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to output just audio over HDMI from Windows 10 ?: I want to output uncompressed multi channel audio from my Windows 10 PC to my AV amplifier over HDMI. I have it working, I've got my amp connected via HDMI using the integrated Intel GPU's HDMI port. I also have a separate AMD Vega 64 as my main GPU. That all works, I get...
  9. About the using of HDMI as audio output

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    About the using of HDMI as audio output: Hi I'm using my Geforce GTX 1080 to output audio through HDMI to a amplifier Onkyo TX-NR686. But that amplifier doesn't allow the use of FreeSync and Nvidia neither allows it in HDMI so I've connected my TV through Display Port and used HDMI throug the amplifier for audio....
  10. Force Intel HDMI Audio Output Possible ?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Force Intel HDMI Audio Output Possible ?: This post is to document yet another flow I observed in Intel Graphics Driver (any) in my laptops . My observation is that on connecting an HDMI cable , only international brands are detected to be HDMI audio capable devices and instantly start playing audio on those...