Windows 10: Is it possible to use two M.2 NVME drives on this MOBO?

Discus and support Is it possible to use two M.2 NVME drives on this MOBO? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Last year I bought a 1TB M.2 NVME drive to use on my Asus Prime Z390-A motherboard (PRIME Z390-A | Motherboards | ASUS Canada) and now that prices have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by orlando1974, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Is it possible to use two M.2 NVME drives on this MOBO?

Last year I bought a 1TB M.2 NVME drive to use on my Asus Prime Z390-A motherboard (PRIME Z390-A | Motherboards | ASUS Canada) and now that prices have somewhat gone down, I'm considering getting a 4TB instead.
    My first thought it is I'll get a superspeed enclosure for the 1TB that I'll need to take out in order to put the other one in... but I just wanted to ask here if there's anyway to use two of these "internally", before I proceed with taking out the 1TB?

Also, what kind of cable/port would I need to use in order to get max speed for an NVME connected externally thru an enclosure?

:)

orlando1974, Jan 21, 2021

2. How to reinstall windows completely on an m.2 nvme drive

How to reinstall windows completely on an m.2 nvme drive

cclark4379, Jan 21, 2021
  3. replacing C: with larger M.2 NVme drive and move programs installed on D: to the new M.2 drive

I have a DELL Desktop Computer XPS XPS8920-7581SLV-PUS Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 desktop running Windows 10 Pro with the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 NVme drive as the C: drive and a 1TB hard disk as the D: drive. I have installed a couple of games and applications to the D: drive due to the size of the install files.

I am now planning to replace the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 drive with a Samsung 500 GB 970 EVO M.2 NVme drive.

The procedure I plan to use is to:

• clone the Toshiba drive to a new Western Digital SSD installed in a hard disk bay
    • replace the Toshiba with the Samsung
    • clone the new SSD back to the Samsung

At that point I should have a bootable C: on the Samsung NVme drive.

The next step would be to move the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk to the Samsung NVme drive since I now have the space for them.

However it is not really possible to just move installed applications due to all the Registry changes that would be needed.

The two applications are Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 (both Community Edition) and the games are World of Warcraft, Destiny 2, and Fallout 4 (the last being a Steam download).

So I am looking for advice on these changes.

Alternative approaches

It seems that I have a couple of options:

• clone the 1TB hard disk to the new SSD and just use the new SSD as D:
    • uninstall the games and applications then reinstall them to the new C:
    • create a D: partition on the new NVme drive and copy the installation folders there

The easiest approach would seem to be to clone the 1TB drive to the new SSD as D: and move on. However I would be missing out on the NVme goodness with the games as well as the Visual Studio programming environment.

The most straightforward approach would be to uninstall the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk and then reinstall them to the C: drive.

The applications are Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017, both Community Edition. These would both be straightforward to uninstall from D: and reinstall to C:.

The games are World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 from Blizzard and Fallout 4 from Steam. These games will require long download time probably two or three days over my internet access. And I would have to start Fallout 4 all over again.

Concluding thoughts

Perhaps the best option would be to combine the first two options.

Since the Visual Studio uninstall and install would be fairly painless I could do that while leaving the games on the 1TB drive and then do the clone of the 1TB drive to the new SSD. Then at a later date I could move World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 over to the NVme drive.

I would think that working with Visual Studio would be easier and quicker from the NVme C: drive while the games would be quick and responsive enough if the game assets are on an SSD.

Richard Chambers, Jan 21, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Is it possible to use two M.2 NVME drives on this MOBO?

cloning hdd to NVMe m.2

Hi Crocodile_aligator

Yes, Windows will load the correct driver for the NVMe M.2. the first time you boot up Windows 10 from that drive after cloning your drive . . .

DaveM121, Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

Is it possible to use two M.2 NVME drives on this MOBO?

1. Is it possible to use two M.2 NVME drives on this MOBO? - Similar Threads - possible NVME drives

2. NVME M.2 drive initialization issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVME M.2 drive initialization issue: I have a Samsung 970 EVO that was my C drive until Magician told me it had exceeded its rated TBW. AT which point I installed a new, larger Samsung 980 EVO to replace it. I then got a USB enclosure thinking to use the now redundant SSD as a portable music library to keep in...
  3. NVME M.2 drive initialization issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NVME M.2 drive initialization issue: I have a Samsung 970 EVO that was my C drive until Magician told me it had exceeded its rated TBW. AT which point I installed a new, larger Samsung 980 EVO to replace it. I then got a USB enclosure thinking to use the now redundant SSD as a portable music library to keep in...
  4. How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?: My Del l 7370 came with a SATA M.2 dirve and I want to upgrade it with a larger NVMe M.2 drive. Using Acronis True Image to clone the drive with all partitions stay as is without any resizing. The resulted drive can not be booted. The system tried to do automatic repair but...
  5. How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?: My Del l 7370 came with a SATA M.2 dirve and I want to upgrade it with a larger NVMe M.2 drive. Using Acronis True Image to clone the drive with all partitions stay as is without any resizing. The resulted drive can not be booted. The system tried to do automatic repair but...
  6. Cloning an m.2 NVMe boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning an m.2 NVMe boot drive to another: Hi All, I have a rather interesting issue and all of the researching and trouble shooting steps have not produced any different results so I'm trying here to see if anyone has had the same experience. Here's what I've tried. Backed up a 500gb nvme m.2 drive to internal...
  7. NVMe M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVMe M.2 SSD: Hello, I have the Asus Rog Rampage Extreme Omega motherboard, X299 chipset. Currently, I have the Samsung 970 Pro which is a PCIe 3.0x4. From what I understand my motherboard only supports up to PCIe3.0x4. I also understand that PCIe is backwards compatible. Therefore, if...
  8. Help with nvme m.2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with nvme m.2: Need help m.2 nvme card I bought a digifast nvme m.2 and it won’t show up in Windows. I try doing the Disk Management, Initialize Disk but it’s doesn’t show up. When I go into the bios is there I see the m.2 and my ssd card. Help please. X570 gigabyte mobo. Thank you....
  9. Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive: Have Win 10Pro everything is fine except I can Not get a new NVMe M.2 to be recognized correctly by the OS it sees it as a SATA even though it is in a M.2 slot on Motherboard. I need more of an order of things to be done between the BIOS and Win 10. I installed a Samsung 970...
  10. Partition an M.2 NVMe?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition an M.2 NVMe?: Q1: Has anyone here partitioned a M.2 NVMe drive? Q2: What program did you use to do it? I'm playing with a new rig, just set it up, and fired up Partition Wizard 9.1 free bootable and it does not see the drive. It sees my SATA HDD. The NVMe shows up in BIOS. It is raw,...