Windows 10: Is it possible to use windows 10 "Find my device" with a local account?

Discus and support Is it possible to use windows 10 "Find my device" with a local account? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I am using a local account on my W10 laptop. I would like to use Find my device. In settings > Update & Security > Find my device, I click on... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by boby_245, May 19, 2019.

1. boby_245 Win User

Is it possible to use windows 10 "Find my device" with a local account?

Hello,

I am using a local account on my W10 laptop. I would like to use Find my device. In settings > Update & Security > Find my device, I click on "sign in with your Microsoft account to use or change find my device".

This takes me to the settings page Accounts > Your info where it says "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead". However, I don't want to use my Microsoft account instead of my local account. Is it possible to use the local account in conjunction with find my device which is linked to my Microsoft account, or must the computer account be an "online" account to use find my device?

Many thanks,

:)

boby_245, May 19, 2019
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Is it possible to use windows 10 "Find my device" with a local account? :(

Zakin, May 19, 2019
  3. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, May 19, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, May 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Is it possible to use windows 10 "Find my device" with a local account? - Similar Threads - possible Find device

2. How to Unlock a Device Locked Using Find my Device in the Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Unlock a Device Locked Using Find my Device in the Microsoft Account: I have a Windows 11 laptop. I inadvertently locked the laptop when I logged into my Microsoft Account and it showed the device was located in a different part of the Country from where I am located. After locking the device, I realized it was my personal laptop in my...
  3. My device computer dissapears from my new MS account if i use a Local account in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My device computer dissapears from my new MS account if i use a Local account in Windows 10: Here is my problem-question.I had this device linked to account A, and i wanted it to link it to a new account B. I was using a local account and the device showed in the MS "A" webpage. So I unlinked it from the website. I then created a new MS account B and linked the...
  4. Can't find Local Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find Local Account: Set up a new PC with Windows 11.Microsoft Account "xxxxx xxxxxxxx".Local Account with administration privilege "Admin".Local Account with standard privilege "Dave".Next day only xxxxx xxxxxxxx and Admin choices on log in window.Directory structures present for both Admin and...
  5. Can't find Local Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find Local Account: Set up a new PC with Windows 11.Microsoft Account "xxxxx xxxxxxxx".Local Account with administration privilege "Admin".Local Account with standard privilege "Dave".Next day only xxxxx xxxxxxxx and Admin choices on log in window.Directory structures present for both Admin and...
  6. use windows 10 with microsoft account or local account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    use windows 10 with microsoft account or local account?: i rememebr it was a requirement to sign into my new pc with a microsoft account, so i made one, but i dont find a use for it and i saw one of my friends use a local account. i want to log out of my microsoft account on my pc and delete the account, i dont use any microsoft...
  7. Is it possible to setup Windows 10 with local account only?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to setup Windows 10 with local account only?: I'm helping a friend out with his old laptop. He picked up a new one and wants this one cleaned up with a fresh install of Windows 10. It's to the point of the install where it is asking for an MS account login. He has his new one set up using his MS account and he just...
  8. Is it possible to find what device uses a driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to find what device uses a driver?: Hello, After updating to Windows 10 2004, I noticed that Windows Security now reports incompatible drivers when you try to turn on Memory Integrity under Core Isolation. The driver I've had issues with for years now appears to be usb2ser.sys, but I can't find any devices...
  9. "Find my Device" feature with Local account sign in?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Find my Device" feature with Local account sign in?: Hi, I have "find my device" enabled on my windows 10. I am opting to sign in as local account instead of microsoft account. Would this not allow me to use "find my device" feature on the web to locate my laptop?...
  10. Local Account only possible in Windows 10?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Account only possible in Windows 10?: hi everyone, the tech preview was forcing you to use Microsoft accounts to setup - can you use a local only login in win 10? if you are updating from a system 8 with local only account does that work? anyone been through it yet? 9345