Windows 10: Is it practical and safe to stick with Windows 7?

Discus and support Is it practical and safe to stick with Windows 7? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My question arises due to the time it's taking me, as a non-expert user, to get W10 up and running following upgrade from Windows 7. I still have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dogfonos, Jan 25, 2020.

1. dogfonos Win User

Is it practical and safe to stick with Windows 7?

My question arises due to the time it's taking me, as a non-expert user, to get W10 up and running following upgrade from Windows 7. I still have issues that will take even more time to sort and it's not as if I'm enjoying the process. For me, the PC is a work tool rather than an interest and I would prefer not to spend (waste?) this much time on it. So, should I stick with W7? It works flawlessly for me and has taken little of my time in terms of maintenance over the past few years.

We're constantly told that it's a risk to run an unsupported operating system so I didn't really consider this option until earlier this week when helping a friend prepare his PC for an upgrade from W7 to W10 - and discovered something quite surprising. His Windows Update app was set to automatic update yet it was not working. He had over 50 updates outstanding, mostly critical. The last Windows update installed on his machine was 3.5 years ago - yes, three and a half years! And the PC is still working just fine - it's as quick and responsive as ever and he has not suffered any noticeable problems. Make me think. Any views on this?

:)

dogfonos, Jan 25, 2020
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jan 25, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    USB stick previously used as a boot stick for Killdisk not recognized

Try method 2 under Windows 7 8 10 here:
    Free to Remove Readonly Attribute in Windows

Method 2: Clear readonly status with Diskpart

In Windows 10, 8, 7 OS, you are also able to run Diskpart in Command Prompt to clear read-only attribute on any partition on your computer. You can follow the tutorial below:

Step 1. Open Command Line and type Diskpart
    Step 2. Type list disk
    Step 3. Type select disk (disk number)
    Step 4. Type attributes disk clear readonly

Is it practical and safe to stick with Windows 7? [​IMG]

Then try Clean

NavyLCDR, Jan 25, 2020
  4. hellrazor Win User

Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, Jan 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Is it practical and safe to stick with Windows 7? - Similar Threads - practical safe stick

2. for/after every major Windows 10 update should [good practice] create a USB3 Stick RECOVERY...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    for/after every major Windows 10 update should [good practice] create a USB3 Stick RECOVERY...: 1USB3 Stick RECOVERY Drive, created from: has a similar function as usb3 stick or ISO/DVD Created with Windows Media Creator Tool...?2for/after every major Windows 10 update 21H1>>21H2>>22H1>>22H2should [good practice] create a new USB3 Stick RECOVERY Drive...?...
  3. for/after every major Windows 10 update should [good practice] create a USB3 Stick RECOVERY...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    for/after every major Windows 10 update should [good practice] create a USB3 Stick RECOVERY...: 1USB3 Stick RECOVERY Drive, created from: has a similar function as usb3 stick or ISO/DVD Created with Windows Media Creator Tool...?2for/after every major Windows 10 update 21H1>>21H2>>22H1>>22H2should [good practice] create a new USB3 Stick RECOVERY Drive...?...
  4. for/after every major Windows 10 update should [good practice] create a USB3 Stick RECOVERY...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 7 won't boot up from USB stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 won't boot up from USB stick: Hello!I have a gifted 2009 Asus laptop running Windows 7. What's the matter with it? Well it won't boot up from my USB stick with a fresh ISO copy of Windows 10. If I boot it from it's hard disk it saysWith a blinking cursor under it.If I try to boot it from the stick it...
  6. Booting Windows 7 from a USB stick

Booting Windows 7 from a USB stick: In Windows 7, which option do I choose to boot my laptop from a usb stick - USB Key, USB FDD or USB HDD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-windows-7-from-a-usb-stick/aa67b3fd-54d6-4220-b2ca-ed65acb9caf2
  7. Practical Reachers

Practical Reachers: I need a security and support of my devices https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/practical-reachers/e2cf79cb-b132-4871-a649-b9cd2edc3dd0
  8. Keep your devices and data safe using these security best practices

in Windows 10 News
    Keep your devices and data safe using these security best practices: Ransomware, botnets and phishing scams were at an all-time high in 2018 and attackers are taking every opportunity to steal data for their own gain. In 2018 alone, Microsoft found that “More than 75 percent of phishing mails include malicious URLs to phishing sites. Other...
  9. Stick with OEM supplies version of drivers or is it safe to update?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stick with OEM supplies version of drivers or is it safe to update?: I have a MSI Gaming Laptop and have downloaded the drivers for restoring my pc from MSI. I noticed that many of the drivers they have for my pc are out of date compared to the version I can download from Intel, ASMedia, etc... Should I stay with the supplied version of...
  10. Is It Practical To Switch Back To Win 7?

Is It Practical To Switch Back To Win 7?: I have so many problems with Win 10 that I want to change back to Win 7. Is it practical to do a clean install of Win 7 after previously migrating all my programs to Win 10? Will I just have to go back to Win 10 in the future? 64657