Windows 10: Is it safe to completely disable Windows Defender?

Discus and support Is it safe to completely disable Windows Defender? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have Kaspersky Total Security for years but "Antimalware service executable " just keeps using my CPU every now and then though Kaspersky is set as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bulk666, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Is it safe to completely disable Windows Defender?

I have Kaspersky Total Security for years but "Antimalware service executable " just keeps using my CPU every now and then though Kaspersky is set as default app for everything in security centre .

Is there any possible threat if I disable all Defender components to avoid high CPU use?

submitted by /u/bulk666
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bulk666, Dec 12, 2019

2. Windows Defender automatically disabled

Hi Ahmad,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to place the computer in safe mode and check if the Windows Defender works.

Method 1:

Step 1: Start computer in safe mode.

• Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select
      Settings.

• Here select Change pc settings and then
      General.

• Scroll down to Advanced startup, click
      Restart now.

• Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.

• Click Restart, select
      Safe mode and then press Enter.

Step 2: Try to
    run the Windows Defender in safe mode

Steps:

• Press Windows key and type Windows Defender.
    • Right click on it and select Run as Administrator.
    • It may prompts you to enter the password.

Method 2: If the issue still persists, place the computer in normal mode and check for the Windows Defender services.

Step 1: Place the computer in normal mode.

• Press Windows + R keys to open
      Run command.
    • Type msconfig and press
      Enter
    • In the System Configuration
      window, click on General tab.
    • Select Start-up selection as Normal startup, click on Apply and Ok.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Step 2: Once you are in normal mode, I suggest you to check for the
    Windows Defender services.

• Press Windows + R keys to open
      Run command.
    • Type services.msc and press
      Enter
    • Search for Windows Defender, right click on it and
      start the service.
    • Also, set the Startup type to
      Automatic.
    • Do the same for Windows Defender Network Inspection Service.
    • Now check if you are able to access Windows Defender.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 12, 2019
  3. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Hi Andrew,

If I understand you correctly you are willing to disable Windows Defender from your system. I would like to know few more things to understand the issue in a better way.

• Why are you trying to disable Windows Defender? Are you planning to install any third party security software?
    • From where you have followed the steps to disable Windows defender using registry?
    • Are you logged in as Administrator?

The steps which you have mentioned to disable Windows Defender using gpedit.msc is correct. If you are unable to disable it then you may do that by stopping the service responsible for Windows Defender. Here are steps which you may follow to perform the
    same task.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each and press stop.

If you will stop the service responsible for Windows Defender then it will not run till it is stopped. Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Dec 12, 2019
  4. Is it safe to completely disable Windows Defender?

How to disable windows defender for long time?

Dear ramesh,

I too agree with Farah in that the options to start, stop Windows Defender are not clickable. There should be a way to stop the WD

Azad Rahimtoola, Dec 12, 2019
Thema:

Is it safe to completely disable Windows Defender?

1. Is it safe to completely disable Windows Defender? - Similar Threads - safe completely disable

2. Is it safe to disable Windows Defender's Real-time protection?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to disable Windows Defender's Real-time protection?: Is it safe to disable Real Time protection in Windows Defender if I ensure to manually scan any downloaded files before using them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-safe-to-disable-windows-defenders-real-time/ea1a4bc5-014f-4f71-a99a-2ae6211ad0a9
  3. Completely Disable Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Completely Disable Defender: Hello,I want to completely disable windows defender on windows 10. Not just turn it off in settings for it to automatically turn on a day later. I want to %100 remove it from my windows 10 home.I looked up tutorials, but they all require the group policy editor that I don't...
  4. Windows defender. Can i completely disable it?

Windows defender. Can i completely disable it?: Hi. I want to ask you if i can completely disable the windows defender from the windows 10 system. And if i can is it hard? Can i restore it? How i can do it please? 177095
  5. Malware has completely disabled Windows Defender in PC

Malware has completely disabled Windows Defender in PC: My Windows Defender has suddenly stopped working. It is not being shown only on the Search option in the PC. On opening Windows Security, it is showing a blank page. I searched for 'Quick Scan' and opened the quick scan page, but the quick scan is also not working. It is...
  6. So is there a way to completely disable Windows Defender now?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    So is there a way to completely disable Windows Defender now?: now that Windows prevents creating keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender is there a way to disable completely Defender? submitted by /u/RedBlueWhiteBlack [link] [comments]...
  7. Is it completely safe to disable these services?

Is it completely safe to disable these services?: I am satisfied with my current version, if it completely safe to permanently stop and disable: Windows Updater service Windows Installer service submitted by /u/VillsSkyTerror [link] [comments]...
  8. How to completely disable Windows Defender in Windows 10?

How to completely disable Windows Defender in Windows 10?: Also, does installing another antivirus completely disable Windows Defender(including Smart Screen)? submitted by /u/abrasivemurk [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fqb84s/how_to_completely_disable_windows_defender_in/
  9. Completely disabling Windows Defender

Completely disabling Windows Defender: I'm running Win10 v1909 Bld 18363.535 and keep getting malware notifications from Windows Defender -- and they are really annoying! I have done everything I have found to disable it, including the Windows Security settings and Regedit settings. When I get a notification, I...
  10. Can Windows Defender be completely disabled in CU?

Can Windows Defender be completely disabled in CU?: Title. In 1607 and earlier, it was possible to shut it off. You could just turn each feature off from the Settings app, then use group policy settings to prevent it from turning itself back on (I used WinAeroTweaker to do this in one click) While I can still disable it...