Windows 10: Is it safe to create a junction link to my Users folder?

Discus and support Is it safe to create a junction link to my Users folder? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm running out of space on my C: drive but have a ton of space on my D: drive. Is it safe or even possible to move my Users folder to my D: drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Itch_X, Jun 2, 2020.

1. /u/Itch_X Win User

Is it safe to create a junction link to my Users folder?

I'm running out of space on my C: drive but have a ton of space on my D: drive. Is it safe or even possible to move my Users folder to my D: drive and create a junction link to my C: drive?

submitted by /u/Itch_X
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Itch_X, Jun 2, 2020
  2. GDavid Win User

Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose.
    Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage...

An application (Xperia Companion) which will not let me select or personalise the location for saving backups of my cellular phone data...

Think I found a fair definition of the differences at the Computer hope site which would suggest it's a Junction I need:
    I want Xperia companion to save backups to F:\Sony Backups NOT the default C:\Users\GD\Documents\Sony. Would the Junction (link) allow me to to fulfill my wants and could someone please demonstrate the mklink commands needed?

with thanks and regards,
    Dave

GDavid, Jun 2, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Hard link directory junctions in User folder

So, I am looking for an easy way to redirect Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures in the user folder to a data drive. I don't want anything permanent that is going to interfere with the Creator's update coming up. Does anyone know if there any ill affects to deleting the empty Documents folder under the user folder and creating a hard link directory junction to Documents on the data drive? I would run:

RD /S C:\Users\John\Documents
    MKLINK /J C:\Users\John\Documents D:\Documents

I tried it on a temp account on my computer and it seemed to work with no issues. Thanks!

NavyLCDR, Jun 2, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Hard link directory junctions in User folder

That should be OK, quite risk free.

BTW, this is a perfect method: Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10

It moves the complete Users folder away from C: drive, all existing user profiles will be moved to X:\Users (X: being just an example), all future user profiles you create will be automatically created in X:\Users. Everything, AppData, Temp, every single user folder.

It works perfectly, no issues with Windows Update or build / feature upgrades. For instance I've just upgraded to build 15058 having my Users folder relocated on E: drive. My C: drive has no traces of any user data or Users folder, everything related to user profiles being on E: drive:

Is it safe to create a junction link to my Users folder? [​IMG]

Kari, Jun 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Is it safe to create a junction link to my Users folder? - Similar Threads - safe create junction

2. Is It Safe to Create a New Folder on my C:Drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is It Safe to Create a New Folder on my C:Drive?: hi, can anyone tell me if it's safe to create a new folder on my C:Drive and put files into it? I have some audio files that only seem to work if they are placed inside my C:Drive, but I'm not sure if this can potentially corrupt my OS, or harm the speed/performance of my...
  3. How to overwrite Junction folder or create with the same name?

How to overwrite Junction folder or create with the same name?: Hi, I want to create a junction folder or overwrite it with the same folder name in OneDrive because it already has 65GB of data, so creating a new one will re-upload all the data which is difficult for me. So I want to continue from the last time it stopped syncing....
  4. About Relocate ProgramData Folder to D partition using junction link ?

About Relocate ProgramData Folder to D partition using junction link ?: From https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/9b86c805-508f-589c-2d94-74900c7937adAs the website said, it has the benefit of easier to backup data.Also, I want to avoid the overhead of C Partition that it may not have enough space to store the data of ProgramData folder in...
  5. Chrome Appcrash when using symbolic link or junction for User Data

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome Appcrash when using symbolic link or junction for User Data: Greetings, See below a copy of a post on Google Chrome Support Forum. No reply received and closed now. Two simple questions : a. Does anyone else observe this problem when pointing Chrome User Data to another drive. b. Any suggestion on how to tackle this problem....
  6. KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links: My system was normal today when I booted it up. but after KB4512508 installed it self, before even rebooting the system, all my symbolic links and junctions got deleted. the did not get broken, they got deleted. the endpoint for the junction no longer exist. and the desktop...
  7. Using/understanding junctions and links

in Windows 10 Support
    Using/understanding junctions and links: My question is about understanding what a junction or link means. Short version first, longer second. This link: [img] Properties indicates "backup" is a folder is on the C: drive and is 156 GB (C: is a 110 GB SSD). [img] The properties for the files show the C:...
  8. Hard link directory junctions in User folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hard link directory junctions in User folder: So, I am looking for an easy way to redirect Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures in the user folder to a data drive. I don't want anything permanent that is going to interfere with the Creator's update coming up. Does anyone know if there any ill affects to deleting the...
  9. junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders

in Windows 10 Support
    junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders: hi my documents folder is on e: as c: is a ssd with limited space. somehow i managed to end up with three 'documents' folders in explorer [actually dopus] of which two contain a few folders and the third one many folders, the latter is my real documents folder. the os will...
  10. Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

in Windows 10 Support
    Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?: Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose. Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage... An application (Xperia...