Windows 10: Is it safe to delete baselayer and sandbox from Containers Folder

Discus and support Is it safe to delete baselayer and sandbox from Containers Folder in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; First post. Hello everyone and Happy New Year. I made the mistake of following the tutorial to enable Sandbox. It failed miserably, with different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by BillDoor, May 28, 2020.

1. BillDoor Win User

Is it safe to delete baselayer and sandbox from Containers Folder

First post. Hello everyone and Happy New Year. I made the mistake of following the tutorial to enable Sandbox. It failed miserably, with different errors at different times such as the common Error: 0x80072746. So I disabled Sandbox but i still have this garbage partition sitting there with 8GB allocated. For those who had success disabling Sandbox to remove this partition (portablebaselayer), good for you. This does not work on my system, despite turning off all relevant features such as VMP and even containers. After googling for hours I found a link to vhdx files and i did a search using WiseJet. My question. Is it safe to delete vhdx files linked to Sandbox and baselayer? I don't use containers. examples of the many related folders with vhdx files: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Containers\Sandboxes\a7a6c2d7-f74d-4386-91b0-b2c683d1cdd2\sandbox.vhdx C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Containers\BaseImages\0cd2da3a-d34b-4084-bfa5-ef3781acf177\baselayer.vhdx I'm hoping deleting these files might finally allow me to get rid of this garbage partition. Windows 10 Home Version 1903 Build 18362.592 - - - Updated - - - Update: I was able to uninstall the portablebaselayer through Device Manager, Disk Drives. Once uninstalled it no longer appeared under Computer Management, but on reboot it reappeared. There has to be a way to get rid of this. It only appeared when I tried to install Sandbox (epic fail) and all suggested methods to have it disappear have failed. Also, yes you can delete the virtual drive files in the containers folders but the ones related to baselayer will reappear on reboot.

:)

BillDoor, May 28, 2020
  2. BillDoor Win User

Not on my system. If you read my original post, that's the point i made. Disabling the Sandbox on my Home version, my build, will not delete this partition. And yes I've read that post and dozens more, none of which worked. The only way I found to delete this partition was through the Device Manager, but it reappeared on reboot.

Just for complete clarity and to avoid getting the same link above over and over, I have unchecked all the boxes required including Sandbox, WHP, VMP, and even Containers.

And yes, I've tried disabling through admin/elevated powershell as well as from the cmd prompt. Neither method worked although both ran error free and removed the Sandbox, but not the partition.

Is it safe to delete baselayer and sandbox from Containers Folder [​IMG]

Deleting the Virtual disk, will remove the partition until the next reboot

And yes, this is a dual boot system which still has a 32 bit Win 8 (Don't ask!)

BillDoor, May 29, 2020
  3. BillDoor Win User

First post. Hello everyone and Happy New Year.
    I made the mistake of following the tutorial to enable Sandbox. It failed miserably, with different errors at different times such as the common Error: 0x80072746.

So I disabled Sandbox but i still have this garbage partition sitting there with 8GB allocated. For those who had success disabling Sandbox to remove this partition (portablebaselayer), good for you. This does not work on my system, despite turning off all relevant features such as VMP and even containers.

After googling for hours I found a link to vhdx files and i did a search using WiseJet.
    My question. Is it safe to delete vhdx files linked to Sandbox and baselayer? I don't use containers.
    examples of the many related folders with vhdx files:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Containers\Sandboxes\a7a6c2d7-f74d-4386-91b0-b2c683d1cdd2\sandbox.vhdx

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Containers\BaseImages\0cd2da3a-d34b-4084-bfa5-ef3781acf177\baselayer.vhdx

I'm hoping deleting these files might finally allow me to get rid of this garbage partition.

Windows 10 Home
    Version 1903
    Build 18362.592

- - - Updated - - -

Update: I was able to uninstall the portablebaselayer through Device Manager, Disk Drives. Once uninstalled it no longer appeared under Computer Management, but on reboot it reappeared.
    There has to be a way to get rid of this. It only appeared when I tried to install Sandbox (epic fail) and all suggested methods to have it disappear have failed.

Also, yes you can delete the virtual drive files in the containers folders but the ones related to baselayer will reappear on reboot.

BillDoor, May 29, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Welcome to Ten Forums BillDoor.

The Containers folder is used not just by Sandbox, but also if you turn on Application Guard.

A while back, when it was first introduced, a few of us were curious, turned on Application Guard and lived to regret it, with large files appearing in Containers. My first attempt at removing them was less than successful...

What is this large folder? - post #37

Fortunately had a Macrium system image I could restore. Subsequently I found some registry keys that also needed deleting. See if this post helps:

What is this large folder? - post #43

Thema:

1. Is it safe to delete baselayer and sandbox from Containers Folder - Similar Threads - safe delete baselayer

2. Is it safe to delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it safe to delete this folder?: I have a Google folder in my C:\Users\[myname]\AppData\Local folder. I briefly had Chrome installed when I first got my current laptop, but then uninstalled it and I'm not sure if this folder is just a leftover product of that. Is it at all safe to delete to delete this...
  3. Is it safe to delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete this folder?: I have a Google folder in my C:\Users\[myname]\AppData\Local folder. I briefly had Chrome installed when I first got my current laptop, but then uninstalled it and I'm not sure if this folder is just a leftover product of that. Is it at all safe to delete to delete this...
  4. Is it safe to delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is it safe to delete these folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it safe to delete these folders?: There are two (hidden) folders in C. $WINDOWS.~BT $WinREAgent The first one contains something that looks like Windows Update. This specific update (KB 4566781) is not installed because it's for 2004 (I have 1909). Is it safe to delete them both? [ATTACH] 163720
  6. Folder containing files deleted

Folder containing files deleted: I was moving my desktop folder to another drive and a folder containing important files got deleted. I found the folder was in another folder called $recycle.bin but I do not know how to access it....
  7. Is it safe to delete baselayer and sandbox from Containers Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it safe to delete baselayer and sandbox from Containers Folder: First post. Hello everyone and Happy New Year. I made the mistake of following the tutorial to enable Sandbox. It failed miserably, with different errors at different times such as the common Error: 0x80072746. So I disabled Sandbox but i still have this garbage partition...
  8. Is it safe to delete these folders?

Is it safe to delete these folders?: Greetings, Chrome 74 now says "Your browser is managed by your organization". I'm not part of an organization. I've been searching for a solution, but most people suggest using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc). However, I have the Home edition of Windows, which doesn't...
  9. Safe to Delete this Folder?

Safe to Delete this Folder?: Is $GetCurrent folder safe to delete? James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safe-to-delete-this-folder/f70da8e8-9232-4918-8f85-b3b32e2b70e1"
  10. Is it safe to delete these folders?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is it safe to delete these folders?: Hi Folks I have Windows 10 64bit and use a 2 Tb main drive which I self installed. It had all the files from a previous drive which was 1 Tb such as Windows 10, drivers, Photoshop etc etc. I have a third drive which is 500mb and used to be my main drive. All these drives have...