Windows 10: Is it safe to delete every tmp / temp file with a batch script?

Discus and support Is it safe to delete every tmp / temp file with a batch script? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone! I made a little script as follows: @echo off title deleting temp files del /s /q c:\*.tmp del /s /q c:\*.temp pause is it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DimebagDarrell, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Is it safe to delete every tmp / temp file with a batch script?

Hello everyone!

I made a little script as follows:

@echo off

title deleting temp files

del /s /q c:\*.tmp

del /s /q c:\*.temp

pause

is it safe to run?

:)

DimebagDarrell, Jul 2, 2019

2. Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp

Hello

Should I be deleting .tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp?

If so, when I try, I get a message saying I need administrator permission. As a user, I am an administrator. Even if I log on as "Administrator," I get the same message saying I need administrator approval. I notice the files are marked "read only." But
    if I try to change that in the Security tab, the options are grayed out.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks.

AnthonyGiorgianni1, Jul 2, 2019
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Is it safe to delete the Temp folder in C:/Windows/Temp?

Yes, all *files* in the temp folder (not the folder itself) can, and should be, deleted periodically.

The temp folder provides workspace for programs. Programs can create temporary files there for their own temporary use. Each program should delete all its temporary files when it closes, but for various reasons it doesn't always happen (for example,
    if the program crashes, it never gets to do this). That's why it's a good idea to periodically clean out anything left there.

Also note that there are some program installations which work in two steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files and rebooting. The second step starts automatically after rebooting and needs to find those files there (and then deletes
    them when it's done).

Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that would interfere with installations like the kind I described), it's always safe to delete the contents of the temp folder. Because it's safe to delete any temp files that aren't open and in use
    by an application, and since Windows won't let you delete open files, it's safe to (try to) delete them at any time. If any fail to delete because they're open, they'll either be deleted automatically when the app using them closes, or you'll get them the
    next time you delete manually.

Some people may suggest that you reboot before deleting anything, but that's not necessary, for the reason described above (on the other hand, it doesn't hurt to do it).

Ken Blake, Jul 2, 2019
  4. Is it safe to delete every tmp / temp file with a batch script?

Batch file to remove temp and %temp% useless content?

This will also remove all files inside recycle bin ? because i never delete them , this also deletes recycle bin automatically ? and where should i put this batch file ? thanks !

Marinel Cipu, Jul 2, 2019
Thema:

Is it safe to delete every tmp / temp file with a batch script?

1. Is it safe to delete every tmp / temp file with a batch script? - Similar Threads - safe delete every

2. Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder: a little backstory, i got a bunch of viruses and had to reset my pc, and these seem to carry over and i cant get rid of them and keep getting an error that their open in another program and therefore i cannot delete them. my pc seems to be running slow and my search bar...
  3. Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder: a little backstory, i got a bunch of viruses and had to reset my pc, and these seem to carry over and i cant get rid of them and keep getting an error that their open in another program and therefore i cannot delete them. my pc seems to be running slow and my search bar...
  4. Is it safe to delete Reset_SafeToDelete_OverwriteSpaceFile_0.tmp?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete Reset_SafeToDelete_OverwriteSpaceFile_0.tmp?: i have just found out of this TMP file which takes up about 400GB of storage! is it safe to delete as implied by its name? thank you for your response : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-safe-to-delete/0e6c1bb3-3d8f-473a-ad37-24025ce58531
  5. Is it safe to delete Reset_SafeToDelete_OverwriteSpaceFile_0.tmp?

Is it safe to delete Reset_SafeToDelete_OverwriteSpaceFile_0.tmp?: i have just found out of this TMP file which takes up about 400GB of storage! is it safe to delete as implied by its name? thank you for your response : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-safe-to-delete/0e6c1bb3-3d8f-473a-ad37-24025ce58531
  6. Curious if it is safe to delete .tmp files with in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Curious if it is safe to delete .tmp files with in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp...: I've been curious as to if it is safe to delete these .tmp files in the C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp directory. If not the can someone please provide a full SAFE list of directories for any and all TEMP files that are 100% SAFE to delete within Windows 10. Thanks,...
  7. Curious if it is safe to delete .tmp files with in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Curious if it is safe to delete .tmp files with in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp...: I've been curious as to if it is safe to delete these .tmp files in the C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp directory. If not the can someone please provide a full SAFE list of directories for any and all TEMP files that are 100% SAFE to delete within Windows 10. Thanks,...
  8. Curious if it is safe to delete .tmp files with in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp...

9. Big .tmp files in %temp%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Big .tmp files in %temp%: Hi, recently I noticed that i need more space on my C: drive and I found a lot of big .tmp files in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp folder [from 500MB to 800MB]. The problem is that the Windows is showing 16GB of Temp files, but disk cleanup can delete only 25MB, Any...
  10. Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp: Hello Should I be deleting .tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp? If so, when I try, I get a message saying I need administrator permission. As a user, I am an administrator. Even if I log on as "Administrator," I get the same message saying I need administrator approval. I...