Windows 10: Is it safe to delete files from Temp subfolder in Windows Folder of C drive?

Discus and support Is it safe to delete files from Temp subfolder in Windows Folder of C drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Recently, I accidently deleted files from this path - C:\Windows\Temp instead of - C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp.Will it have any negative impact on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Someone_else296, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Is it safe to delete files from Temp subfolder in Windows Folder of C drive?

Recently, I accidently deleted files from this path - C:\Windows\Temp instead of - C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp.Will it have any negative impact on my machine or my OS?

:)

Someone_else296, Sep 20, 2022
  2. Ken Blake Win User

Is it safe to delete the Temp folder in C:/Windows/Temp?

Yes, all *files* in the temp folder (not the folder itself) can, and should be, deleted periodically.

The temp folder provides workspace for programs. Programs can create temporary files there for their own temporary use. Each program should delete all its temporary files when it closes, but for various reasons it doesn't always happen (for example,
    if the program crashes, it never gets to do this). That's why it's a good idea to periodically clean out anything left there.

Also note that there are some program installations which work in two steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files and rebooting. The second step starts automatically after rebooting and needs to find those files there (and then deletes
    them when it's done).

Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that would interfere with installations like the kind I described), it's always safe to delete the contents of the temp folder. Because it's safe to delete any temp files that aren't open and in use
    by an application, and since Windows won't let you delete open files, it's safe to (try to) delete them at any time. If any fail to delete because they're open, they'll either be deleted automatically when the app using them closes, or you'll get them the
    next time you delete manually.

Some people may suggest that you reboot before deleting anything, but that's not necessary, for the reason described above (on the other hand, it doesn't hurt to do it).

Ken Blake, Sep 20, 2022
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Is it safe to delete files from Temp subfolder in Windows Folder of C drive? ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Sep 20, 2022
  4. Is it safe to delete files from Temp subfolder in Windows Folder of C drive?

Is it safe to delete the Temp folder in C:/Windows/Temp?

My computer shows that 88% of my 240 GB disk drive is being taken up by the Temp folder (C:/Windows/Temp). Almost all the files in that folder are named x264.log.mbtree. I think these files may be associated with a program I have called MCEBuddy that converts
    *.wtv files from windows media center into .mp4 files. Would it be safe to delete the entire Temp folder or just the contents related to the conversions? If I am mistaken about these .mbtree files please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your response.

KurtLindstrom, Sep 20, 2022
Thema:

Is it safe to delete files from Temp subfolder in Windows Folder of C drive?

1. Is it safe to delete files from Temp subfolder in Windows Folder of C drive? - Similar Threads - safe delete files

2. Is it safe to delete dismhost.exe folders in temp?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to delete dismhost.exe folders in temp?: I have about 4 different folders which contain the dismhost.exe file and its components located in the temp folder in local are these safe for me to delete? I also have seen the dism process in taskmanager and when I open its file location bizarrely its located in one of...
  3. Is it safe to delete dismhost.exe folders in temp?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it safe to delete dismhost.exe folders in temp?: I have about 4 different folders which contain the dismhost.exe file and its components located in the temp folder in local are these safe for me to delete? I also have seen the dism process in taskmanager and when I open its file location bizarrely its located in one of...
  4. What are TEMP files in C drive and can I safely delete them?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What are TEMP files in C drive and can I safely delete them?: I have these TEMP files and a lot of TEMP.DESKTOP files and I'm not sure what to do with them. I had these since I fixed the temporary profile corruption. I'm wondering if I should delete them and if they are safe to delete them.Windows 10...
  5. What are TEMP files in C drive and can I safely delete them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are TEMP files in C drive and can I safely delete them?: I have these TEMP files and a lot of TEMP.DESKTOP files and I'm not sure what to do with them. I had these since I fixed the temporary profile corruption. I'm wondering if I should delete them and if they are safe to delete them.Windows 10...
  6. What are TEMP files in C drive and can I safely delete them?

7. Is it safe to delete files from Temp subfolder in Windows Folder of C drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete files from Temp subfolder in Windows Folder of C drive?: Recently, I accidently deleted files from this path - C:\Windows\Temp instead of - C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp.Will it have any negative impact on my machine or my OS?...
  8. Is it safe to delete files from Temp subfolder in Windows Folder of C drive?

Is it safe to delete files from Temp subfolder in Windows Folder of C drive?: Recently, I accidently deleted files from this path - C:\Windows\Temp instead of - C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp.Will it have any negative impact on my machine or my OS?...
  9. is it safe to delete all temp folder files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is it safe to delete all temp folder files?: is it safe? because the temp folder has gotten very big now. is it safe to remove all files with cmd? submitted by /u/_TroupeMaster_200- [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h0gq99/is_it_safe_to_delete_all_temp_folder_files/
  10. Is it safe to delete temp folders

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it safe to delete temp folders: hey i was wondering. I s found my temp fold by typing in the run search box and typed in"temp" This is NOT the%temp% folder found in app data. Is it safe to delete these folders?[ATTACH]...