Windows 10: Is it safe to delete Microsoft Authenticator once I've turned off 2-step verification for...

Discus and support Is it safe to delete Microsoft Authenticator once I've turned off 2-step verification for... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Basically I noticed I have an entry in my Microsoft Authenticator app for my Microsoft login. I don't remember ever even adding this, and 2FA is not... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by veryspecialdisplayname, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Is it safe to delete Microsoft Authenticator once I've turned off 2-step verification for...

Basically I noticed I have an entry in my Microsoft Authenticator app for my Microsoft login. I don't remember ever even adding this, and 2FA is not even enabled in the first place when I checked my account info online.

Weirdly though, when I clicked the "enable 2FA" button just to see what would happen, it thenasked me for an input code from Microsoft Authenticator, a thing it had just told me was NOT enabled.

So now I'm very confused as to what is and isn't connected to my account, and worried if I delete Authenticator which I would like to do as I don't use it for anything I will find myself in the future locked out of my windows account somehow and unable to get it back.

So my question is, why the contradictory messaging on whether 2FA is enabled or not, and how can I safely disable it all completely and never have to worry about the Authenticator app ever again?

:)

veryspecialdisplayname, Jan 5, 2021
  2. DianeLouw Win User

Turning off 2 step verification

i have the 2 step verification DISABLED under my settings yet when i try to retrieve mail it keeps asking me to logg into google and it takes me thru process and gives me an authentication code. What must i do with this code? I dont want the 2 step verification!!!

DianeLouw, Jan 5, 2021
  3. Turning off 2 step verification

Having recently upgraded my PC to windows 10 I was prompted to 2 step verification. the logic and reason is sound. However since doing this I cannot get into my hotmail.co.uk using my iPhone. I found a link to the
    solution when I removed the authenticator app on my phone. Only to find a similar issue dated 2013. I have logged in via my PC running Windows 10, my laptop running windows 7 Professional and an ipad going in via safari. NO WHERE is this option visible.

Turning off 2-Step Verification
    • In “Signing in & security” section of My Account, select 2-Step Verification. Sign in with your username, password, and verification
      code if asked.
    • Select Turn off 2-Step Verification.
    • A pop-up window will appear to confirm that you want to turn off 2-Step Verification. Select OK
    How can this be achieved. I use emails on my phone for work being self employed and it is causing me issues.

As this problem seems to have been around for a few years surely there must be a resolution now. I really do not want to have to drop my Hotmail account as it is widely known, but if no solution is available I will have no option.

Eric Castle, Jan 5, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Is it safe to delete Microsoft Authenticator once I've turned off 2-step verification for...

dalchina, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

Is it safe to delete Microsoft Authenticator once I've turned off 2-step verification for...

1. Is it safe to delete Microsoft Authenticator once I've turned off 2-step verification for... - Similar Threads - safe delete Microsoft

2. How to turn off the two step verification?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off the two step verification?: Hi everyone, my problem is my account did not log into any browser or phone or anything else. But when I try to log in include in Microsoft Authenticator, I must fill in the code but I even do not log in Authenticator successfully. Can anyone help me please?* Moved from...
  3. 2-STEP VERIFICATION

2-STEP VERIFICATION: Hi, hope you can help?I am spending way too much time signing in to my Microsoft Account. Frankly, 2-Step verification is sensible to some but, NOT for everyone! I work from home.. I don't need it.. but I am asked to ssign in, enter password, then verify on my phone so, I...
  4. 2-STEP VERIFICATION

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2-STEP VERIFICATION: Hi, hope you can help?I am spending way too much time signing in to my Microsoft Account. Frankly, 2-Step verification is sensible to some but, NOT for everyone! I work from home.. I don't need it.. but I am asked to ssign in, enter password, then verify on my phone so, I...
  5. 2-step Authentication

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2-step Authentication: How can I delete or reset the code to unlock the Authentication App on my Samsung phone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-step-authentication/764aa9df-6c85-4617-af1b-8bf908d44650
  6. 2-step Authentication

2-step Authentication: How can I delete or reset the code to unlock the Authentication App on my Samsung phone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-step-authentication/764aa9df-6c85-4617-af1b-8bf908d44650
  7. 2-step Authentication

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. 2 step verification fail. Deleted cookies

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2 step verification fail. Deleted cookies: Hi AllNew to this "community"thing so hope i respond accurately to answers.Recently traveled to the UK, and had to use a hotel provider for the internet. As a precaution when i left i deleted history and cookies etc as I was not sure how safe the network was.However, now I...
  9. 2 step verification fail. Deleted cookies

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2 step verification fail. Deleted cookies: Hi AllNew to this "community"thing so hope i respond accurately to answers.Recently raveleed to the UK, and had to use a hotel provider fr the internet. As a precaution when i left i deleted history and cookies etc as I was not sure how safe the network was.However, now I...
  10. Turn On or Off Microsoft Account Two-step Verification

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Microsoft Account Two-step Verification: How to: Turn On or Off Microsoft Account Two-step Verification [img] Information Two-step verification uses two ways to verify your identity whenever you sign in to your Microsoft account: Your password An extra security code Two-step verification helps protect your...