Windows 10: Is it safe to delete the $WINDOWS.~TMP folder itself, not just the files in the folder?

Discus and support Is it safe to delete the $WINDOWS.~TMP folder itself, not just the files in the folder? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I understand that I can delete the folders and files inside it, but will Windows 10 be unhappy if that folder isn't there, or will it just recreate it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SteveNelsonXA, May 9, 2020.

1. Is it safe to delete the $WINDOWS.~TMP folder itself, not just the files in the folder?

I understand that I can delete the folders and files inside it, but will Windows 10 be unhappy if that folder isn't there, or will it just recreate it as needed?

:)

SteveNelsonXA, May 9, 2020

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Is it safe to delete the $WINDOWS.~TMP folder itself, not just the files in the folder? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Is it safe to delete the $WINDOWS.~TMP folder itself, not just the files in the folder? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, May 9, 2020
  3. Windows installation folder

A couple of years ago, I read that Windows has a special folder that contains files used during the installation process. Also, I heard there's another folder that Windows uses as a back-up of every system file, just in case the user wants to do a system restore. Where can I find both folders and are they safe to delete?

GoFigureItOut, May 9, 2020
  4. Anusha Win User

Is it safe to delete the $WINDOWS.~TMP folder itself, not just the files in the folder?

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Is it safe to delete the $WINDOWS.~TMP folder itself, not just the files in the folder? ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, May 9, 2020
Thema:

Is it safe to delete the $WINDOWS.~TMP folder itself, not just the files in the folder?

1. Is it safe to delete the $WINDOWS.~TMP folder itself, not just the files in the folder? - Similar Threads - safe delete $WINDOWS

2. Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting: I have checked Environment Variables. Both "TEMP" and "TMP" are set to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP.Any advice? Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tmp-files-appearing-in-folders-and-not-deleting/87e480be-1879-4f00-b1a6-1f43ab0db03c
  3. Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting: I have checked Environment Variables. Both "TEMP" and "TMP" are set to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP.Any advice? Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tmp-files-appearing-in-folders-and-not-deleting/87e480be-1879-4f00-b1a6-1f43ab0db03c
  4. Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder: a little backstory, i got a bunch of viruses and had to reset my pc, and these seem to carry over and i cant get rid of them and keep getting an error that their open in another program and therefore i cannot delete them. my pc seems to be running slow and my search bar...
  5. Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder: a little backstory, i got a bunch of viruses and had to reset my pc, and these seem to carry over and i cant get rid of them and keep getting an error that their open in another program and therefore i cannot delete them. my pc seems to be running slow and my search bar...
  6. Is it safe to delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete this folder?: I have a Google folder in my C:\Users\[myname]\AppData\Local folder. I briefly had Chrome installed when I first got my current laptop, but then uninstalled it and I'm not sure if this folder is just a leftover product of that. Is it at all safe to delete to delete this...
  7. Is it safe to delete these folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it safe to delete these folders?: Greetings, Chrome 74 now says "Your browser is managed by your organization". I'm not part of an organization. I've been searching for a solution, but most people suggest using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc). However, I have the Home edition of Windows, which doesn't...
  8. Cannot delete tmp folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete tmp folders: Hi, small annoying problem, when I go to 'My PC' somehow I have a lot of temporary folders on my C: drive, and cannot get rid of them. Says that 'You require permission from the administrator to make these changes. I have tried using the command prompt with:net user...
  9. Deleting TMP Files In System profile folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting TMP Files In System profile folder: I would like to know if TMP files in System Profile folder can safely be deleted ? Actual location..C:/ Users/Windows/System32/Config/Systemprofile.. I have about 10,000 or so ! Thank you 76758
  10. Safe to delete these folders and file?

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe to delete these folders and file?: Doing a little house cleaning today and I ran across two folders and a file that I believe can be safely deleted. The folders are empty and the file is 0 bytes. Can I safely delete them? [img] 76096