Windows 10: Is it safe to force shutdown here?

Discus and support Is it safe to force shutdown here? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My Windows 10 has been on the loading logo for a while, doing what seems to be repairs on a hard drive. The process has been stuck on 100% for an hour... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AdventurerAldo, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Is it safe to force shutdown here?

My Windows 10 has been on the loading logo for a while, doing what seems to be repairs on a hard drive. The process has been stuck on 100% for an hour with no progress. I'm thinking of forcing it to shutdown in order to avoid doing that.The hard drive in question is malfunctioning, and I hesitated to remove it because it contained some data which I had already backed up the important ones and also it still does work.Working with the drive does make whatever I'm doing with it freeze. I've only ever used it to store and retrieve files since it started malfunctioning. I wonder if it'll ever rec

:)

AdventurerAldo, Jul 20, 2021
  2. LMiller7 Win User

Forced shutdown safe?

No, a forced shutdown is not safe. If there were no potential ill effects of a forced shutdown the normal shutdown procedure would never have been designed. With a normal shutdown processes are allowed time to terminate themselves in an orderly way. A forced shutdown bypasses all of this and processes are forcibly terminated with no regard for their current state or what they were doing. This may result in registry entries or files not being updated properly, data corruption, or data loss. There are a large number of possible outcomes. I am not saying these things are likely, only that they are possible. It all depends on the state at the time of shutdown and you can't normally know that with sufficient detail.

LMiller7, Jul 20, 2021
  3. rmoreau Win User
    How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?

Hi,
    I want to force a shutdown when the user close the laptop lid even if MSWord is open and the document was not saved.
    Any suggestion ?

Regards

rmoreau, Jul 20, 2021
  4. Is it safe to force shutdown here?

Forced shutdown safe?

Well unlike Windows 95, Windows 10 can recover from it, mostly. It has last good known configuration, system restore and so on. I do forced system shutdown pretty often, because of games, so far so good. I do not have reset in laptop. *Rolleyes

TairikuOkami, Jul 20, 2021
Thema:

Is it safe to force shutdown here?

1. Is it safe to force shutdown here? - Similar Threads - safe force shutdown

2. Ongoing PC Force Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ongoing PC Force Shutdown: Hi,This has been ongoing since buying the PC. Please see previous posts from myself.The previous suggestion of removing SignalRGB seemed to fix it for some time. I have not reinstalled Signal RGB. though have not been using the PC that much.I've just started playing a new...
  3. Ongoing PC Force Shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ongoing PC Force Shutdown: Hi,This has been ongoing since buying the PC. Please see previous posts from myself.The previous suggestion of removing SignalRGB seemed to fix it for some time. I have not reinstalled Signal RGB. though have not been using the PC that much.I've just started playing a new...
  4. Windows 10 forced shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 forced shutdown: When using the "Start", "Power", "Shut down" option Windows 10 shuts down.UNLESS there is an application running that expects a user response.Too many times I have used the above and left, thinking Windows will shut down. Only to come back in the morning and find out that...
  5. Windows 10 forced shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 forced shutdown: When using the "Start", "Power", "Shut down" option Windows 10 shuts down.UNLESS there is an application running that expects a user response.Too many times I have used the above and left, thinking Windows will shut down. Only to come back in the morning and find out that...
  6. Forced into safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Forced into safe mode: I have been having some troubles with my gpu or so I thought because today I installed an updated from Geforce Experience and an update from windows and got sent to watchdog violation blue screen. I am currently posting from safe mode with internet since i can't get to use...
  7. Why it doesn't shutdown for 30 minutes now? Can i force it to shutdown safely?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why it doesn't shutdown for 30 minutes now? Can i force it to shutdown safely?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/theloneman1996 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l0g06t/why_it_doesnt_shutdown_for_30_minutes_now_can_i/
  8. Force shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Force shutdown: Hello Eversince I've been using Windows 10 I have been struggling with many bugs and blue screens. Ok well I'm used to it now. But the thing is, when the computer is stuck, I'm unable to force shutdown and force restart it. I need to wait for the battery to be depleted....
  9. Is it Safe to Shutdown a Computer?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is it Safe to Shutdown a Computer?: Hi All For the last year I have let PC sleep at night, do some maintnenance over night, soon getting my first SSD drive, and not sure if letting PC sleep as I normally did is good or bad for the SSD drive, on the other hand since I can't afford new Power supply yet,...
  10. Forced shutdown safe?

in Windows 10 Support
    Forced shutdown safe?: Although not Windows 10 fault my machine got hung up accessing a misbehaving NAS network share. Unfortunately it couldn't resolve and I couldn't restarte explorer. I then tried a shutdown via Ctrl Alt delete but it just laboured on 'restarting' but didn't do it. I left it a...