Windows 10: Is it safe to get rid of System reserved disk from old HDD?

Discus and support Is it safe to get rid of System reserved disk from old HDD? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A while ago, my old PC died. I got its HDD with windows and put it in a new PC with windows preinstalled I got later, figured out how to access the old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JustSomeGuy2020, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Is it safe to get rid of System reserved disk from old HDD?

A while ago, my old PC died. I got its HDD with windows and put it in a new PC with windows preinstalled I got later, figured out how to access the old HDDs files and everything works fine, just that there are two disks showing up in the This PC window. It doesn't cause any problems, but I want to get rid of it.

MY question is, whether it is safe to do so?

also maybe how to get the old windows key if possible and whether I can reuse that

:)

JustSomeGuy2020, Nov 16, 2020
  2. Tenforo Active Member

Deleting system reserved & recovery partitions on old HDD

I recently installed an SSD and cloned W10 onto it from my old HDD (Disk 0). I now want to use that HDD for storage, but as you can see from the screen grab it has a system reserved partition (JIs it safe to get rid of System reserved disk from old HDD? :) and a Recovery Partition on it.

Is it safe to get rid of System reserved disk from old HDD? c4419f9e-985c-4331-8ac8-3299b820f776?upload=true.jpg

How do I delete the redundant system reserved and recovery partitions from the old HDD as they are no longer required as everything is running from the SSD (Disk 2). Your help would be gratefully received!

Tenforo, Nov 16, 2020
  3. Tenforo Active Member

Can't safely remove external disk

In reference to the steps of your suggestions:

• The issue is specific to the particular disk and it started after I've used the disk to save the System image backup (created with the Control Panel > File History tool).
    • I didn't disable any windows Service. I'm just wondering if there is any to disable.
    • Safe boot with networking, or clean boot doesn't resolve the issue.

Thank you.

Tenforo, Nov 16, 2020
  4. Tenforo Active Member
    Two System Reserve Partitions

Is it safe to get rid of System reserved disk from old HDD? 7994085b-aa1a-4aca-a318-fa761a0c51f4.png

Disk 0 is my old hdd. Disk 1 is my new ssd with Windows 10 installed on it. My computer won't boot if I set my boot sequence in the BIOS to Disk 1, it says no BCD found. It will only boot if I set Disk 0, so I assume the boot files are on the old hdd
    (System Reserved H) rather than on the new ssd (System Reserved D).

Tenforo, Nov 16, 2020
Thema:

Is it safe to get rid of System reserved disk from old HDD?

1. Is it safe to get rid of System reserved disk from old HDD? - Similar Threads - safe rid System

2. System reserved on the same drive as my HDD ???

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System reserved on the same drive as my HDD ???: Started doing some cleaning and guttering of the system today and found that my HDD which is just used for mass junk storage like movies, Shadowplay recordings etc etc has 2 drive letters assigned to it.. And thought thats weird. then looked in dis management and seen that it...
  3. Is it safe to extend System Reserved partition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it safe to extend System Reserved partition?: My System Reserved partition almost run out of space. I want to extend it via Disk Management, but I'm not sure if it is safe. Are it is safe to extend my System Reserved partition via Disk Management? Sorry if my words are not quite right...
  4. Small System Reserved drive - can I get rid of it?

in Windows 10 Support
    Small System Reserved drive - can I get rid of it?: It may be an easy one. I realized that Windows Explorer is showing up a 100MB 'System Reserved' drive. There is a way of hiding it? Thanks! 168995
  5. Deleting system reserved & recovery partitions on old HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting system reserved & recovery partitions on old HDD: I recently installed an SSD and cloned W10 onto it from my old HDD Disk 0. I now want to use that HDD for storage, but as you can see from the screen grab it has a system reserved partition J: and a Recovery Partition on it. [ATTACH] How do I delete the redundant system...
  6. Delete Old System Reserved Partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete Old System Reserved Partition?: Hi, I have just built a new PC and have installed a new installation of Windows on an NVMe drive. I then took out my old hard drives from my previous PC and installed them in my new one, I want to be able to use them all for storage. When I go into Disk Management I see all...
  7. HDD system disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD system disk: after upgrade from windows 10 PRO 64bit English ver 1709 to 1803 upgrade failed 3 times turned off Norton internet security and 1803 installed how ever disk set is now 1 partition EFI 100MB empty C: partition OS partition 4 476MB NTFS OEM partition, partition 5 450MB NTFS OEM...
  8. System Reserved Partion on MBR Disk

System Reserved Partion on MBR Disk: I just noticed, after over almost 2 years with Win10, that my system disk (MBR) has a System Reserved partition. I had thought that didn't happen on an MBR disk. Is it needed and can I remove it? Thank you. 79902
  9. Drive from old computer shows up as System Reserved

Drive from old computer shows up as System Reserved: I have been able to successfully access my old hard drive from a different computer in the past. Now when I plug it in, it shows up twice in This PC. Once as System Reserved (D) and Local Disk (E) NTFS. If I click on local disk E, it says location not available, E:\ is not...
  10. Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...: I need to create a new boot disk for a laptop I was using. I have the Windows 10 Home system disk that WAS in that laptop. I want to take the O/S OFF that disk and put it on a DIFFERENT disk.... I plugged both disks into a different PC, fired up Easus Todo Backup and did a...