Windows 10: is it safe to keep things plugged into your desktop pc

Discus and support is it safe to keep things plugged into your desktop pc in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was wondering if it was safe to keep like usb devices plugged into my desktop pc and will it effect the system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jasondodd2, Nov 30, 2019.

1. is it safe to keep things plugged into your desktop pc

I was wondering if it was safe to keep like usb devices plugged into my desktop pc and will it effect the system

:)

jasondodd2, Nov 30, 2019

2. USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and

....no drives listed in Hardware List.

When I plug USB drives in, the Safely Remove Hardware icon does not appear in in system tray (its not hidden either)

First, I went to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Select which Icons Appear on the Taskbar...

is it safe to keep things plugged into your desktop pc [​IMG]

.. and found it was already on

Next I tried using the solution in this post...

Solved No safely remove icon in tray any more after Windows 10 Anniversary up - Windows 10 Forums

...making a shortcut from "rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll", but when I run the shortcut, there are no devices listed...

is it safe to keep things plugged into your desktop pc [​IMG]

(in this screenshot, you can see two USB drives in the Explorer window in the BG but nothing listed in the panel. )

NOTE: They are listed in Disk Management and in the Device Manager under Disk Drives, and they function just fine..
    I think the Safely Remove Hardware icon is not appearing because despite being detected and showing in Explorer, Device Manager and Disk Management, its not being listed in this panel for some reason.

NOTE2: I recently installed a new motherboard.

ASUS B150M-A
    CPU Intel Core i5 - 6500 (3.2 GHz)
    Mem 4096 MB (DDR4 - 2133)

I am 100% sure it was working before that, but I cannot say for sure if it was still working after that.
    A friend suggested that it might be a setting in BIOS, but I have looked through it and nothing stands out.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

ETA: this is not the system listed in my System Specs page. That is another computer which I still have.

smartcooky, Nov 30, 2019
  3. Mayra Aqu Win User
    Desktop PC warning "Low Battery - Plug Computer In"

Hi Jaime,

We would appreciate if you could provide more details about the issue. Kindly answer the following questions:

• Did you perform any changes prior to the issue?
    • Have you tried updating the computer to the latest update?
    In the meantime, we recommend that you directly connect your desktop to the power source/outlet without using the UPS. This will help us identify the root cause of the issue.

If the issue persists after removing the UPS, we suggest running the hardware troubleshooter to further diagnose the issue. Kindly follow the steps below to perform it:

• Open Cortana, type Troubleshoot and press
      Enter
    • Look for Find and fix other problems category.
    • Under it, choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Click Run the troubleshooter button and follow the on-screen steps to run it.
    Update us with the outcome so we provide further assistance.

Mayra Aqu, Nov 30, 2019
  4. IggSter Win User

is it safe to keep things plugged into your desktop pc

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Nov 30, 2019
Thema:

is it safe to keep things plugged into your desktop pc

1. is it safe to keep things plugged into your desktop pc - Similar Threads - safe keep things

2. We can't open "This PC". To help keep your data safe, the location is blocked.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We can't open "This PC". To help keep your data safe, the location is blocked.: So, my computer forgot what a working file system is, and now I have to deal with this. Is there any way to override this?The Learn more link took me to Microsoft Learn: Build skills that open doors in your career, super unhelpfulSo, to the main point, HELP.Edit: Firefox and...
  3. We can't open "This PC". To help keep your data safe, the location is blocked.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    We can't open "This PC". To help keep your data safe, the location is blocked.: So, my computer forgot what a working file system is, and now I have to deal with this. Is there any way to override this?The Learn more link took me to Microsoft Learn: Build skills that open doors in your career, super unhelpfulSo, to the main point, HELP.Edit: Firefox and...
  4. Is it safe to run your PC normally with your case open? the side

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is it safe to run your PC normally with your case open? the side: Basically my pc shut down for no reason and I opened up the case for this pc for the first time since it's new to check stuff. I fixed the issue, then I can't get the case's side back into the PC because it's very hard and complicated. I just gave up and put my pc in it's...
  5. How do I safely clean my charger plug thing from a laptop

How do I safely clean my charger plug thing from a laptop: I recently have been suffering because of my laptop that disconnects and stops charging randomly. I obviously thought that the charger input thing must be dirty wich it is, but how do I safely clean it withouth blowing up everything and what not to do....
  6. Is this Start thing safe?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is this Start thing safe?: [ATTACH] So i found this in my Task Manager Processes and i wanna ask if this is a real process or a fake? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-this-start-thing-safe/10a79e0c-e6aa-41f2-9769-22085cca978c
  7. your pc battery is low, plug in your PC Now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    your pc battery is low, plug in your PC Now: when it syas your pc battery is low, plug in your pc when im at 5% battery my pc just shuts down. sometimes it leaves the programs i had open sometimes it doesnt its annoying like when im talking to my friend playing minecraft and it happens. any fixes?...
  8. Message on screen of my desktop saying "Your battery is very low. Plug in your PC now."

Message on screen of my desktop saying "Your battery is very low. Plug in your PC now.": I have a desktop and of course it is always plugged in. When I start up the computer in morning lately, a small box opens in middle of desktop that says "Your battery is very low. Plug in your PC now." It's a desktop! It is always plugged in. This is the only computer I...
  9. Is it safe to keep my surface laptop 3 plugged in all the time?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it safe to keep my surface laptop 3 plugged in all the time?: Hello, I recently just bought the surface laptop 3. I want to maximize my battery power and I was wondering if it's safe to keep the laptop plugged in all the time?...
  10. things crashing to desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    things crashing to desktop: heya i'm wondering if i play gta 5 it goes from time to time back to desktop if i watch anime in full screen you see some time your taskbar popping up in mean while you didn't do anything like moving the mouse tried reinstalling everything doesn't seem to work anyone...