Windows 10: Is it safe to restore point when I've updated computer parts?

Discus and support Is it safe to restore point when I've updated computer parts? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi! So recently I got a blue screen and can't boot up my PC. I've tried a recovery drive, some things in command prompt, and none seem to have worked.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Vocalifornia, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Is it safe to restore point when I've updated computer parts?

Hi! So recently I got a blue screen and can't boot up my PC. I've tried a recovery drive, some things in command prompt, and none seem to have worked. I've decided that perhaps I should revert back to an old restore point. However, the last restore point saved was when I had a completely different CPU, motherboard, and ram. I'm not particularly sure if this is safe? I've upgraded those computer parts since then and I'm not too sure how that might affect restore points. Just thought I'd ask. Thank you!

:)

Vocalifornia, Aug 3, 2021
  2. Anton.U Win User

Restore point creation as part of updates

Hello Davidk03,

I am Antonio, a Microsoft Community independent advisor, a Windows 10 and Microsoft office user like you. I hope I can help you on your concern.

Please see notes below.

Restore from a system restore point

This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app or driver, and when you create a restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will
    remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type control panel, and then choose it from the list of results

2. In the Control Panel search box, type recovery.

3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore.

4. In the Restore system files and setting box, select Next.

5. Select the restore point that you want to use in the list of results, and then select Scan for affected programs.

Notes

* If you don’t see the restore point that you want to use, select the Show more restore points check box to see more restore points.

* If you’re not seeing any restore points, it might be because system protection isn’t turned on. Here’s how to check:

* In the search box on the taskbar, type control panel, and then choose it from the list of results.

* In the Control Panel search box, type recovery.

* Select Recovery > Configure System Restore > Configure and see if the Turn on system protection option is selected.

* If the Turn on system protection option is not selected, system protection isn’t turned on and there aren't any restore points. In this scenario, you won't be able to recovery your PC using a system restore point and will need to use one of the other recovery
    options listed on this page.

* If the Turn on system protection option is selected, continue with step 6.

6. You'll see a list of items that will be deleted if you remove this restore point. If you're OK with the deletions, select Close> Next > Finish.

More information on this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/...

You're response is highly appreciated. Please let me know if the issue is fixed, if not, we will find another way.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Keep safe always.

Sincerely,

Antonio

Anton.U, Aug 3, 2021
  3. Davidk03 Win User

Thanks for the replies.

Antonio has mis-read my query - it's not about recovering using a restore point, but about windows creating one as part of an update cycle.

Graye confirmed the situation I find. My and his identical experience surely isn't accidental.

But the answer - still isn't addressed: is this the new normal for windows 10?

If yes - pretty poor approach by MS - they spent years educating users to use the ones provided as part of updates, as a recovery mechanism, and to create ones if desired.

If not, how is win10 configured to create a restore point as part of an update, like it's predecessor did?

Davidk03, Aug 3, 2021
  4. Davidk03 Win User

Is it safe to restore point when I've updated computer parts?

One of the features of windows 7 was that it automatically created a restore point before applying an update(s).

Now that I'm newly on windows 10 (1909), I've noticed that there have been several updates over the last 3 weeks applied to the PC without a restore point being created as part of the update.

Is that the new normal for windows 10??

If it's not, how do I configure win10 to create these before applying an update?

The C drive is configured for restore points, to use about 5% (10gb) of its capacity, and currently very under used.

Davidk03, Aug 3, 2021
Thema:

Is it safe to restore point when I've updated computer parts?

1. Is it safe to restore point when I've updated computer parts? - Similar Threads - safe restore point

2. Restore Windows when restore point failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Windows when restore point failed: My laptop is caught in the automatic repair loop, and when I tried to restore a restore point, that method somehow failed. I planned to give it another try but the system showed no restore point was made.Is there another way to restore my Windows apart from the restore point?...
  3. Restore Windows when restore point failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore Windows when restore point failed: My laptop is caught in the automatic repair loop, and when I tried to restore a restore point, that method somehow failed. I planned to give it another try but the system showed no restore point was made.Is there another way to restore my Windows apart from the restore point?...
  4. Restore Windows when restore point failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Old restore points still in SAFE MODE?

Old restore points still in SAFE MODE?: Hey, so i had reinstalled windows on my laptop and after that the very next day i had to reset it again because of startup error and now my pc is not working properly and i want to go back to my old windowsthe windows before the reinstall i have no restoreofc they were gone...
  6. Computer BSOD on returning to a restore point

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer BSOD on returning to a restore point: Hello I recently did a system restore from the recovery environment and everything broke. I cant even run a SFC /scannow or click reset this PC. I have another recovery thumb drive that has a live OS of that helps, so I have file access. The errors code im getting is critical...
  7. Error when trying to restore point.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error when trying to restore point.: I recently tried doing a restore point on my computer, but when the restore point was done I got this error message[IMG]Also when I tried updating my windows, I got an error message telling me to retry for some reason. Can someone help? Thanks!...
  8. Restore point creation as part of updates

Restore point creation as part of updates: One of the features of windows 7 was that it automatically created a restore point before applying an updates. Now that I'm newly on windows 10 1909, I've noticed that there have been several updates over the last 3 weeks applied to the PC without a restore point being...
  9. Error when create restore point.

Error when create restore point.: How this error occure when i am createing access point.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-when-create-restore-point/1c6c732c-4d73-4e16-b71e-02783a8d9fd6
  10. *UPDATE ON SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS*

*UPDATE ON SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS*: A little bit of backstory: I downloaded a safe program bundled with a bunch of PuPs. Blind me didn't see the custom install feature. Anyways, because all the PuPs slowed down my PC by 25%, I wanted to make sure they were ALL GONE, so I preformed a system restore to a point...