Windows 10: is it safe to resume Windows 10 update service (was turned off due to reported bugs for...

Discus and support is it safe to resume Windows 10 update service (was turned off due to reported bugs for... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Due to the information about Windows 10 October update bugs I have turned off the Windows 10 update service. Is there a new build for this update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by UriDavid, Oct 30, 2018.

1. UriDavid Win User

is it safe to resume Windows 10 update service (was turned off due to reported bugs for...

Due to the information about Windows 10 October update bugs I have turned off the Windows 10 update service.

Is there a new build for this update (1809) that fix all the bugs and is it safe to resume the update?

:)

UriDavid, Oct 30, 2018
  2. kambei.7s Win User

Windows 10 Update Orchestrator Service

found similar error in the 'System' log, during the restart after installing the update, is this normal for windows 10? Does everyone faced such thing? The update seems to have settled, in the status I've see 'Success', there seem to be no other errors.

The "Update Orchestrator Service" service is turned off due to an error
    The return from the operation was due to the timeout.

code 7023 source of Service Control Manager

EventData

param1 Update Orchestrator Service
    param2 %% 2147549471
    550073006F005300760063000000

Keywords 0x8080000000000000

after 20 seconds
    The C: \ Windows \ system32 \ MusNotificationUX.exe process initiated the "Restart" action for the DESKTOP computer on behalf of the user due to: Operating system: Service pack installation Scheduled

The update was installed
    KB4103727 OS Build 16299.431

Thanks.

kambei.7s, Oct 31, 2018
  3. Windows 7, What services to turn off?

Although BlackViper's list helps, you can take it even further if you read a bit about services elsewhere in tech groups.

One nice feature of his site though, is the registry file maker for the services. You can make a Windows default and store it, and then build your own. It's a simple matter of double-clicking the file to import it to the registry. If you don't like it, and cannot source which particular service(s) might be giving you problems by being disabled, then import the original and reboot.

This will allow you to tinker and test without the tediousness of doing it all one-by-one/manually.

I've attached a pretty aggressive services registry file if you would like to try it. Just rename it to .reg instead of .txt and then double click it. When given a prompt, click YES.

This service setup is aimed at a single computer that is :

A) Not connected to a home-network
    B) Does manual Windows Updates
    C) Has it's own security measures, i.e. custom hosts file, manually run virus programs, and hard-firewall built into the router/modem.
    D) Has it's content and file system manually backed-up, i.e. images you make yourself and store for safe-keeping, rather than relying on Windows Restore.

Note that :

-Windows Update is on manual, I would further reinforce this by checking the Windows Update settings are set to how you prefer. Personally I keep it disabled entirely until I'm ready to check for updates myself.
    -Windows Installer is on manual. This will turn on automatically when needed.
    -Windows Module Installer(also known as Trusted Installer) is on manual. If you do any Windows Updates, or maybe more importantly, install .Net Framework/Visual C++ or play any games that use those packages, they will fail with a .dll token error. This service should start when needed.
    -All Windows System Restore features/services are disabled. This would include Block-Level Backup, Volume Shadow Copy etc. I prefer this because I do my own images and mini-images and store them for safe keeping. Thus no Windows Restore is needed.
    -All networking, file sharing and WLAN services are disabled (except Network Store Interace which is necessary no matter your type of internet connection). This means that if you're connected to a network within your home, you will lose some if not all connectivity to the other machines. If you are connecting wirelessly, you won't be able to anymore.
    -All program compatibility and Windows error reporting features are disabled. I've never ever needed them. However if you do find one day that you have an issue with your system, and Windows Event Log isn't providing enough help, then these services may be of value.
    -Windows Defender and Security Center are disabled. I don't want or use Defender, I have my own programs I run manually. And for most people that should be fine.
    -DNS Cache is disabled. This is important, because if you run a custom hosts file(which is one of the BEST ways to stop mal/spy/adware), then it can be significantly large in size. My hosts file is almost 2mb. That's big for a text file. When you have such a hosts file on your system, it can wreak havoc for the DNS caching. One of your SVCHosts services will show about 50% CPU usage in Task Manager because it can't cope. Thus disabling the service stops this problem and should not give you any issues with web browsing.
    -Secondary Logon and Security Accounts is disabled. This means you will have problems logging in and out of other users. If you're the only user/adminstrator, then there's no issue.

-I have left Windows Desktop Manager and Themes on automatic, as I suspect most people prefer at least some type of modern Windows layout/style/theme. Without these two working in tandem, then you cannot achieve Aero or Aero like visuals.
    -Print spooler is also on, but is up to you. Some people don't print from their computers!
    -In case you use any special peripherals, such as gaming mice, keyboards etc., Human Interface Device service is on automatic.
    -Superfetch is automatic. There's no reason to turn this off. You will notice a good performance gain with it on for burst data and general Windows use. Games will not be negatively affected by it either.

Additionally I suggest you use Hijackthis and another program that can monitor your Windows Startup run list, such as Tuneup Utilities 2010. Tuneup will be better to use than MSCONFIG, and also more straight forward as it will only list programs that run at start-up. Hijack this will show you more advanced information(but still miles better than MSCONFIG utility), including services, BHO files and run commands(meaning programs that run at start-up).
    If you see a list of services, which show in Hijack and their line ends in (file missing), that simply means you have it set to "manual" and it wasn't expecting that. Nothing to be alarmed about, that's normal.

newconroer, Oct 31, 2018
  4. AsRock Win User

is it safe to resume Windows 10 update service (was turned off due to reported bugs for...

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

1. is it safe to resume Windows 10 update service (was turned off due to reported bugs for... - Similar Threads - safe resume update

2. is it safe to turn off sysmain.dll in services?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is it safe to turn off sysmain.dll in services?: QUESTION IN TITLE sorry if i put on off topic https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-safe-to-turn-off-sysmaindll-in-services/4b697d81-3851-4858-bb49-dd0258200bfc
  3. is it safe to turn off sysmain.dll in services?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is it safe to turn off sysmain.dll in services?: QUESTION IN TITLE sorry if i put on off topic https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-safe-to-turn-off-sysmaindll-in-services/4b697d81-3851-4858-bb49-dd0258200bfc
  4. is it safe to turn off sysmain.dll in services?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. turning off windows 10 safe boot

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    turning off windows 10 safe boot: Hello. yesterday my laptop's disk start working at 100% and i searched youtube to fix it. one of the suggestions was go on safe boot, restart and then tern off safe boot and restart again. unfortunately when i restart i couldn't sign in anymore because my password doesn't...
  6. Windows Update service automatically turns off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update service automatically turns off: My windows Update service Automatically turn off in my laptop , I turned it on several time and it automatically disable , Please help me and make it fast...
  7. Turning off Windows 10 Update under services.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Turning off Windows 10 Update under services.: Why is Windows 10 now blocking me from accessing the options to turn Update on or off in Services. I can't choose any of the options. This is AFTER I disabled it on multiple occasions only to have it turn back on. It stayed off for over a week this last time but it started...
  8. Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout reportedly resumes soon

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout reportedly resumes soon: On Tuesday (November 13), Microsoft will begin rolling out the Windows 10’s November 2018 cumulative updates and there is a chance that the October 2018 Update will get re-released as well. The Patch Tuesday is a pretty good day to resume the push of Windows 10 version 1809...
  9. Turning off safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Turning off safe mode: Dudes I encounter a lot of problems with Safe Mode. However I cannot turn off this feature. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/turning-off-safe-mode/1b25bdef-6575-451c-b76e-fa4b4c92226f
  10. Turn On or Off Location Services in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Location Services in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Location Services in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Location Services in Windows 10 Some apps need to know when youre in a specific location to work correctly. For instance, if youve asked an app to remind you to buy bread when youre in the...