Windows 10: Is it Safe to Shutdown a Computer?

Discus and support Is it Safe to Shutdown a Computer? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi All For the last year I have let PC sleep at night, do some maintnenance over night, soon getting my first SSD drive, and not sure if letting PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AMDMan2016, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Is it Safe to Shutdown a Computer?

Hi All

For the last year I have let PC sleep at night, do some maintnenance over night, soon getting my first SSD drive, and not sure if letting PC sleep as I normally did is good or bad for the SSD drive, on the other hand since I can't afford new Power supply yet, nervous on shutting it down, as was told years ago isn't too safe to shutdown Computer as causes more stress on bootup for Power supply, hard drive, motherboard, and fans. (I might be way wrong, but that's what I heard years ago)

:)

AMDMan2016, Feb 22, 2017

2. Is it safe to shutdown computer in sleep mode

Hi Renee,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Well sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player—the
    computer immediately stops what it's doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working but shutdown is the process where computer will be completely inactive and it will not consume any power.

So I suggest you to shut down completely and unplug it from the wall.

Thank you.

SujataMoktan, Feb 22, 2017
  3. Is it safe to shutdown computer in sleep mode

Original post: Kelly

Is it safe to completely shut down my computer by putting it in sleep mode, then unplugging it from the wall?

ReneeKelly, Feb 22, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Is it Safe to Shutdown a Computer?

I really can't imagine where you got that idea. It is not only wrong but incomprehensible to me.

It will certainly not harm your PC to be shut down. In fact being shut down (or at least restarted) is required by windows to do updates. It will eventually do this itself.

You will also save a bit of money during the time it is off to save for a new PSU.

Have you really left it turned on for years because of this idea?

5. Berton Win User
    I don't shut mine down at night as it would only be off for maybe 6 hours although I do turn the monitor off [don't need a nightlight].

Berton, Feb 22, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    Well some computers are left on for years. Nothing wrong with that. If you don't care wasting 50W for 6 hours that is up to you.

You don't leave it on as you think turning it off and on again would somehow stress it do you? Like revving a racing engine when it was cold?

I'm honestly struggling to understand the possible reason the OP has here. Heat change between a cold and hot CPU? Extra power to turn the fan on?

Anyway - no one says you have to turn it off. Only that it OK to do so if you want.

7. I have turned it off due to thunderstorms before, power outages, but usually back on right away, and pray all boots up fine after that, I guess maybe I worry over too much...Do reboot at times

AMDMan2016, Feb 22, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Good idea.

I certainly do think you do worry too much.

Perhaps I'm being blasé (in which case I apologise) and there is some potential shock to the system I'm unaware of that being turned off could cause. I just can't think of one (unless you live somewhere extremely hot/cold or humid I suppose) - perhaps someone else can.

9. Yes I know I worry too much, but think i'll relax and be fine hopefully lol. Just live in US-Michigan here, temperatures going up and down lately, some days 68-70 out, next day 42 or lower, PC is in the basement here, heat is on, so shouldn't be too cold to be shutdown, and turned back on next day.

AMDMan2016, Feb 22, 2017
  10. RolandJS Win User
    Wifey and I have an UPS for our computer center -- such helps us to do controlled shutdowns when brownouts hit, or when longer-lasting blackouts hit -- thus preventing possible data loss from unplanned sudden shutdowns. And, once the computer is turned on in the morning or noon or even in the afternoon, it stays on til early evening or when we're done for the day, whichever comes first; meaning the computer center has been off for a few hours, or, sometimes for the entire weekend.

RolandJS, Feb 22, 2017
  11. simrick Win User
    When I am sleeping, my computer is shut off. When I am awake, it's on. *Smile Having an SSD makes boot-up times incredibly fast. Just gotta watch FireFox, as it writes to the drive constantly, so I close it when I'm not using it, and have changed the settings to slow it down a bit.

Firefox is eating your SSD - here is how to fix it

simrick, Feb 23, 2017
  12. simrick Win User
    Would never be without one! Should be required purchase with every system IMO.

simrick, Feb 23, 2017
  13. Is it Safe to Shutdown a Computer?

Yeah I don't use Firefox, I use Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer 11, Chrome only if I must, just waiting on SSD to hopefully arrive tomorrow, not sure if doing the install/clean install tomorrow or not, Michigan suppose to have storms possibly Severe tomorrow evening, so might move install til Saturday, plus my 2.5 to 3.5 inch bracket scheduled to arrive Saturday

AMDMan2016, Feb 23, 2017
  14. swarfega Win User
    You have done the one thing that you shouldn't have done. You cheaped out on the power supply. An OEM 300w PSU sounds borderline at the most.

I would put your components in pcpartpicker.com and it will give you a wattage total, add 100w on top for future upgrades.

swarfega, Feb 23, 2017
  15. The Power Supply came with the system, I just don't have the money yet to afford a new one, bought this system off newegg last January 2016, getting a newer power supply asap though, probably evga G3 550 watt. it's actually 350 watt inside here I rechecked it

AMDMan2016, Feb 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Is it Safe to Shutdown a Computer? - Similar Threads - Safe Shutdown Computer

2. shutdown the computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    shutdown the computer: when i use the window buttom and try to shutdown the computer this way,sometime it work but other time,it is not work. i know about the shortcut of window icon +x but i am curious about the way i have always using the regular way to shutdown the computer. someone know the...
  3. Is it safe to force shutdown here?

Is it safe to force shutdown here?: My Windows 10 has been on the loading logo for a while, doing what seems to be repairs on a hard drive. The process has been stuck on 100% for an hour with no progress. I'm thinking of forcing it to shutdown in order to avoid doing that.The hard drive in question is...
  4. Computer Shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Shutdown: Hi, I am experiencing random computer shutdowns. I have gone through all of my parts of my PC with various tests and cannot find any fault. The screen simply turns black, as if i had plugged by PC out from the wall. What can i do to find out what is causing this problem? i...
  5. Computer shutdown

Computer shutdown: Hi my computer is Lenovo all in one my problem is computer shutdown every 30 munited https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-shutdown/82189cdc-2816-4be2-8ccb-b5fe6949a49f
  6. Computer Shutdown

Computer Shutdown: When ever I turn off my computer it acts as if it shutdown, it closes all my tabs too, and says they closed unexpectedly. If there is any way to fix this in a simple way without it risking my computer then please help me, If the way to fix it is super complicated, I think...
  7. Computer shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer shutdown: Error lvrs64.sys https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-shutdown/2e380b37-dab7-4ae8-ab9a-57c06499a98d
  8. computer shutdown

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    computer shutdown: so let me begin by saying I live in Arizona so is pretty hot right now today my computer shutdown itself and the strange thing the modem did a total reboot I check of overeating computer parts but everything is fine I have a feeling I'm being hack but I don't know to how...
  9. Computer shutdown

Computer shutdown: my pc using windows 10 will start fine, but then will unexpectedly close after 5-10 minutes. Then when restarted it runs fine. What is the problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/computer-shutdown/c8d24f1f-8d5b-4a22-972a-26b3a7c05a4c
  10. Forced shutdown safe?

in Windows 10 Support
    Forced shutdown safe?: Although not Windows 10 fault my machine got hung up accessing a misbehaving NAS network share. Unfortunately it couldn't resolve and I couldn't restarte explorer. I then tried a shutdown via Ctrl Alt delete but it just laboured on 'restarting' but didn't do it. I left it a...